Author Topic: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers  (Read 12416 times)

Re: Anquan Boldin traded to 49ers
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One less team to try an make an offer for Cruz. 

I'm happy.

If the Giants don't re-sign Cruz I will personally burn down MetLife Stadium.

He has to be priority #1

#2 priority at his position.

He is great in the slot but can be stopped when outside.

Nicks is still the most important WR on the Giants

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I'm happy.

He has to be priority #1

Is Nicks also a FA this year?  Please tell me he isn't.

I'd still say Cruz is more important, Nicks is injured too much to have higher value.  His ceiling is higher though.

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 04:53:12 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I'm happy.

He has to be priority #1

I'd still say Cruz is more important, Nicks is injured too much to have higher value.  His ceiling is higher though.

Next season except he will not be restricted.  The Giants have to be working on his extension now. 

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Holy crap, this gets even worse for Baltimore.

All they get in return is a SIXTH round pick.  :o
They were going to cut him for salary cap room. Getting a sixth round pick in that situation is actually a good deal.

I think you're vastly underrating Boldin.  He was quite possibly one of the biggest reasons Baltimore won the SB.  He's been good for a number of years.

In my opinion, cutting him would have been an even bigger mistake.

I suppose, if the plan is to replace Boldin with a guy like Jennings, then that might be considered a good move.

Best case senario here, the jury is still out.
Sure he was, he had big games this playoffs. But he was also pretty ordinanary for more games than just the last 4 they've played.

Plus you're not paying for what he just did, you're paying for his future production. WRs typically don't age well.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

I'm happy.

He has to be priority #1

Next season except he will not be restricted.  The Giants have to be working on his extension now.

Could always use the dreaded franchise tag  ::)

But, hopefully both get locked up quickly.  Those two are one of the dealiest WR combos in the league when both are healthy.  When they're on their game, Eli becomes practically unstoppable.

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 05:06:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

They were going to cut him for salary cap room. Getting a sixth round pick in that situation is actually a good deal.

I think you're vastly underrating Boldin.  He was quite possibly one of the biggest reasons Baltimore won the SB.  He's been good for a number of years.

I suppose, if the plan is to replace Boldin with a guy like Jennings, then that might be considered a good move.

Sure he was, he had big games this playoffs. But he was also pretty ordinanary for more games than just the last 4 they've played.

Plus you're not paying for what he just did, you're paying for his future production. WRs typically don't age well.

I would've paid the $6 million for the year.

Boldin wasn't looking for an extension or anything.  He just refused to restructure. 

I don't think it would've been that crazy to pay him that money for 2013.  Going forward? Yeah, you don't pay a 32 year old WR that much money past 2013 but given his value to Flacco, I figured the organizatiion should've bit the bullet in this instance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 05:07:43 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
wow...great move for San Fran. They still have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders I believe if they'd like to make a splash again
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Boldin wasn't looking for an extension or anything.  He just refused to restructure. 

I don't think it would've been that crazy to pay him that money for 2013.  Going forward? Yeah, you don't pay a 32 year old WR that much money past 2013 but given his value to Flacco, I figured the organizatiion should've bit the bullet in this instance.
The issue is that they have other FAs, who are younger and more valuable that they'd have trouble resigning if they were having Boldin at a 6 million dollar cap hit.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

The issue is that they have other FAs, who are younger and more valuable that they'd have trouble resigning if they were having Boldin at a 6 million dollar cap hit.

They should have thought of that before they gave Flacco way more money than he deserved.

Seems pretty funny to me that his contract is already hurting the team.

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em

They should have thought of that before they gave Flacco way more money than he deserved.

LOL, I love it.....Boldin has one year left on his contract and is set to make more than Flacco in 2013. Tell me again how this is related to Flacco's contract?
DKC Suns

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »

Offline Lightskinsmurf

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 134
49ers will be in the superbowl again next year I think. Seattle is my second team i got going there.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
IF you want to save yourself from aggravation, then don't pick him for fantasy football. He drives me crazy.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »

Offline celtsfan84

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 80

LOL, I love it.....Boldin has one year left on his contract and is set to make more than Flacco in 2013. Tell me again how this is related to Flacco's contract?

Yeah, Flacco's contract is not "already hurting the team".  If anything, it is helping the team.

The Boldin decision looks to have been made independent of Flacco's contract.  In fact, as already mentioned, his cap hit this year is about the same as Flacco's.

The Ravens simply decided they didn't want to pay $6 million to a 32 year old receiver with declining numbers (despite his productive postseason).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66747/joe-flacco-backs-anquan-boldins-stance-against-pay-cut

Even though Flacco became the highest-paid player in league history, his deal actually helped Boldin. If the Ravens had put the franchise tag on Flacco, they would've committed either $14 million (nonexclusive tag) or $19 million (exclusive tag) to the cap. By striking a long-term agreement, Flacco accounts for only $6.8 million against the cap in 2013, which left more room and increased the chances of keeping Boldin at his current contract.

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 05:32:41 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

His contract only has a cap hit of 6.7 million, his contract will eventually cause them cap issues but it really helps them out this year.

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 05:33:59 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em

Yeah, Flacco's contract is not "already hurting the team".  If anything, it is helping the team.

The Boldin decision looks to have been made independent of Flacco's contract.  In fact, as already mentioned, his cap hit this year is about the same as Flacco's.

The Ravens simply decided they didn't want to pay $6 million to a 32 year old receiver with declining numbers (despite his productive postseason).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/66747/joe-flacco-backs-anquan-boldins-stance-against-pay-cut

Even though Flacco became the highest-paid player in league history, his deal actually helped Boldin. If the Ravens had put the franchise tag on Flacco, they would've committed either $14 million (nonexclusive tag) or $19 million (exclusive tag) to the cap. By striking a long-term agreement, Flacco accounts for only $6.8 million against the cap in 2013, which left more room and increased the chances of keeping Boldin at his current contract.

Exactly thanks for posting

DKC Suns