Author Topic: LeBron Thinking of Switching Over to Football?  (Read 13973 times)

Re: LeBron Thinking of Switching Over to Football?
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Does Dick Bavetta know how to officiate football?

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does Dick Bavetta know how to officiate football?

He could figure it out.  How hard is it to say, "Pass interference, defense", right?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

Offline Lord of Mikawa

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 66
  • Anti-Lakers&Anti-Heat
I say good riddance lol.
Signed to a 6 year $0 contract with the Celtics Blog forum!

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, at least the helmet would hide all the "What you talkin' bout, Willis?" faces that we see on a nightly basis whenever he plays in the NBA and someone touches him.

I would also personally pay the fine for the first player to take a shot at Lebron as he leaves his feet going over the middle.

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 10:43:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Lebron James was an All State WR in high school.  He didn't play his senior year and his junior year was his best year when he caught 61 passes for 1245 yards and 16 TD's.  He was "effortless" at catching passes and always came down with the ball in a jump ball setting.  Now granted he was bigger then virtually everyone covering him, but he still caught the ball (and did so one handed all the time since his hands were so big).

Here are some links about his high school football skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/sports/basketball/03james.html?pagewanted=all

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5360552

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMPNIgeuoQ
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 10:51:09 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Lebron James was an All State WR in high school.  He didn't play his senior year and his junior year was his best year when he caught 61 passes for 1245 yards and 16 TD's.  He was "effortless" at catching passes and always came down with the ball in a jump ball setting.  Now granted he was bigger then virtually everyone covering him, but he still caught the ball (and did so one handed all the time since his hands were so big).

Here are some links about his high school football skills.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/sports/basketball/03james.html?pagewanted=all

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5360552

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMPNIgeuoQ

The way the messiah was covered over the middle is about the same way he's allowed to be defended in the NBA.

The only way the messiah is going to get that kind of protection in the NFL is if he can throw.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 12:17:13 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Honestly, I don't think LeBron would last a full practice in the NFL, let alone a season. Several of my college teammates played with/against him in high school, and they all said he was completely overrated in football solely due to his publicity in basketball. There are a ton of amazing players in Ohio, and there's no way he deserved to be All-State. And the plays he did make were just because he was so much bigger than everyone. He rarely went over the middle, and was used primarily as a down field threat.

I get so sick of basketball announcers talking about how great this player or that player would be in the NFL. The NFL is approximately 50 million times more physical than the NBA. Most NFL players are some of the toughest people alive. LeBron would certainly be tough to defend in jump ball situations, but there's no way he'd be able to take a hit from Troy Polomalu, Ray Lewis, etc on a regular basis.

And for people who say he could play tight end, there's a little thing called BLOCKING. Good luck putting a body on Julius Peppers and Dwight Freeney every Sunday.

I know a current trainer for an NFL team, and he used to work for an NBA team. I asked him about the difference in pain tolerance between NBA players and NFL players, and he started cracking up and said it wasn't even close.

IMO, the only guys in the NBA that would have a realistic shot are the blazing fast point guards (Rondo, Rose, etc) who could possibly play corner. Those guys can fly, and you can get by as a corner in the NFL without being overly physical. Also, you won't be the one receiving hits very often as a corner.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 01:54:58 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
It would be fun to see him go across the middle and have Ray Lewis lay him out.

How can I not give a TP to this.  TP!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I am loving this thread... I just keep imagining LeBron getting nailed going over the middle over and over again.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Of course Lebron would be hit, but the man is 6'8", 260 pounds of solid muscle, hitting him would hurt and I imagine he would dish out hits like very few offensive players. 

I know Lebron is "hated", but you can't deny his athleticism, his size, his improvement since he entered the NBA, and his work ethic.  If he truly devoted himself to football (and thus actually put in the time and effort), Lebron could be a better then average WR in the NFL.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 03:35:24 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Of course Lebron would be hit, but the man is 6'8", 260 pounds of solid muscle, hitting him would hurt and I imagine he would dish out hits like very few offensive players. 

I know Lebron is "hated", but you can't deny his athleticism, his size, his improvement since he entered the NBA, and his work ethic.  If he truly devoted himself to football (and thus actually put in the time and effort), Lebron could be a better then average WR in the NFL.   

I would say the jury on his toughness is still out , Moranis.  Since the messiah is more protected than an NFL quarterback.

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I deny Lebron's improvement and I deny his work ethic at anything other than getting tattoos and making commercials.

I doubt he could make it as an NFL cheerleader

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If we can just get the Packers to sign Lebron, and then get Bosh and Wade too, we can make certain the Packers don't win a ring this year.

I think if they sign those guys we should try out Dirk.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 03:47:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If we can just get the Packers to sign Lebron, and then get Bosh and Wade too, we can make certain the Packers don't win a ring this year.

I always forget that DWade is not a winner. Y'know why? Because he's already won a ring.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I always forget that DWade is not a winner. Y'know why? Because he's already won a ring.
Wow. He's such a winner.