Author Topic: Pryor can play in the NFL but not till game 6?  (Read 16038 times)

Re: Pryor can play in the NFL but not till game 6?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No one can argue with Rothlisberger's crime being worst.   I think Goodell is trying to scare the young man straight, not that it is fair but the NFL has always hammered some and let the star player's walk.

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 08:56:18 AM »

Offline Phil125

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 57
All this over a guy who might not even make a team.

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 09:41:51 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
No one can argue with Rothlisberger's crime being worst.   I think Goodell is trying to scare the young man straight, not that it is fair but the NFL has always hammered some and let the star player's walk.

I think Goodell is just trying to make it clear that he will not allow the NFL to be an option to avoid a punishment.

If Prior's punishment had not already been handed down by the NCAA before he decided to bypass that punishment and try to get into the NFL, then I don't think there would have been an NFL suspension.

I think Goodell is trying to set a precedent that avoiding a suspension in another organization cannot be a reason for going to the NFL. 

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
IMO, Pryor is a kid who made a mistake and has been screwed over, but not by the NFL.  Unfortunately he accepted a bad deal offered to him by OSU and the Sugar bowl for their financial gain.  Both OSU and the Sugar Bowl benefitted by having him accept a 5 game suspension in order to play in the Sugar Bowl and agree to accept a 5 game suspension for the 2011 season. 

In hindsight the best thing for him to have done would have been to be ruled ineligible for the Sugar Bowl and declare for the regular NFL draft.  Had he done that he would likely have been drafted in the top 5 rounds or so in the regular NFL draft.  Instead, he passed on that opportunity and then as more information of NCAA infractions arose he realized that he most likely would eventually be declared ineligible to play by the NCAA.  At that point it was just too late for Pryor.

My understanding of the supplemental draft is that it is for players who have lost eligiblity to play in the NCAA after the regular NFL draft.  By the deadline to declare for the supplemental draft Pryor had not been ruled ineligible to play, he was merely suspended for 5 games and therefore he is ineligible for the NFL supplemental draft. (and do not forget that the NFL even pushed back the supplemental draft which benefitted Pryor)

The easy answer for the NFL would have been to rule him ineligible for the supplemental draft and to make him wait a year to be drafted.  Instead they made the decision to go against their own clearly written rules and to allow him into the supplemental draft and to suspend him for the first 5 weeks of the regular season. 

How is this the NFL blackmailing Pryor?
[/quote]Not blackmailing. Black balling.  Because they are singling him out for punishment in collusion with the NCAA.  No other player in the history of the NFL that I know of has ever been punished by the NFL for something they did in college.  Either he's eligible or he's not. It was clear he what he wanted early on and why, and they dragged their feet on it, then they implement this weirdo thing? 
And I'm not buying this line of reasoning that the NFL is cutting him a break or something. It's just allowing a willing employee to go to a willing employer.

Also I don't believe any coach (like Tressel) has ever been punished by the NFL for anything they did in college, and probably never will.  They're trying to make an example of him saying "The NFL isn't a place to go to get away from the NCAA or to avoid following rules in college".  But yes it is. That's the whole point of the NFL.

They're more than happy when Reggie Bush or Cam Newton comes out early. Not so happy when Maurice Clarret or Mike Williams or Terrell Pryor does.  It's just picking a choosing.
[/quote]

LOL, I was tired when I wrote this so please excuse my typo please.

Let me start by saying that I do not like the way that all of this went down.  Pryor certainly made some mistakes (like many players have) and some people took advantage of him for their own gain.  Had things been handled correctly he would have been in the regular draft and he would not have been facing any suspension.

Eja, you said "Either he's eligible or he's not"...well, by the NFL rules he should NOT be elibible.  Their rules are pretty cut and dry on the situation.  He did not apply for the regular NFL draft and his situation has not changed since then.  He still has NCAA eligibilty left.  The rules for the supplemental draft are set up so that players cannot try to manipulate where they go by avoiding the NFL draft and then applying to the supplemental draft.  With this ruling (which the NFL, NFLPA and Pryor agreed to) the NFL is building their own rules for Pryor.  If this was not a good thing for Pryor he and or the NFLPA would have challenged the decision.

The unfortunate thing is that Pryor made decisions without full knowledge of the rules.  After the regular draft, he announced he was leaving OSU and he signed with an agent not realizing that he was not eligible for the supplemental draft.  There was not turning back once he signed with an agent (like what happened with Williams and Clarrett).

Yes, the NFL dragged their feet on this and pushed back the date of the supplemental draft but that could only help Pryor.  By this time he had to know that he was not eligible for the supplemental draft because he still had NCAA eligibility.  This is when Pryor started to say that he admitted more misdeeds that would make him ineligible to play in the NCAA.  He did this because if he were to be ruled ineligible by the NCAA this would have been the change in status he needed to be ruled eligible for the supplemental draft.

In the end the NFL bent their rules to allow him in the supplemental draft.  Yes they suspended him 5 games and I am sure that they chose that number (the same he would have missed had he stayed at OSU) for a reason but I still think that getting NFL coaching and collecting 11 NFL paychecks is better than not getting NFL coaching and collecting 0 NFL paychecks.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6885024/terrelle-pryor-oakland-raiders-supplemental-draft

The Raiders took him in the 3rd round.

It's like they're in a competition with themselves to be the dumbest franchise.

If you don't like Tebow you can't like Pryor.  Where is Merril Hodge? Where are the Tebow critics?

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6885024/terrelle-pryor-oakland-raiders-supplemental-draft

If you don't like Tebow you can't like Pryor.  Where is Merril Hodge? Where are the Tebow critics?

Al Davis just can't help himself...he just can't say no to speed...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They aren't criticizing it as heavily because there is other news eja, during the draft they only have it to talk about. Now they have camps and an actual season soon approaching.

The Raiders now don't have a 2nd/3rd/4th in next years draft....

I feel bad for him, he's a great athletic talent even if he can't play QB at the pro level. I can't think of a worse place for him to go and try and develop.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

To be fair, I think there would have been a lot fewer people complaining about the Tebow pick if he went in the 3rd round.

When you get down to the third round, or even late second round, it is a crapshoot anyways, and you can do worse than picking a great athlete with a history of winning.

Its just such a risk to take a guy who needs to essentially relearn the position in the first round. 

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 08:33:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Bill Belichick is salivating at the thought:
Hi Al? You know that really fast guy at the combine that is still on the board in the 2nd round?  We'll trade our 2nd rounder for a future 1st...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

They'll end up with a pretty good compensatory pick for losing Namdi, I would guess...

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

They'll end up with a pretty good compensatory pick for losing Namdi, I would guess...

Yeah, but no higher than a 3rd rounder. That's better than nothing, but still...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 08:58:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, but no higher than a 3rd rounder. That's better than nothing, but still...
At the end of the round as well I believe.

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 09:05:37 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
You know it's sad for your franchise that everyone says in jest, "Dont worry Terrell, the Raiders will take you!"...and then it happens

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 11:27:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
They aren't criticizing it as heavily because there is other news eja, during the draft they only have it to talk about. Now they have camps and an actual season soon approaching.

I feel bad for him, he's a great athletic talent even if he can't play QB at the pro level. I can't think of a worse place for him to go and try and develop.
I agree with you. This has train wreck written all over it. And the train has oil and nuclear waste on it.

Maurice Clarrett might get a roommate soon

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Raiders-to-Pryor-Jersey-2-has-too-many-bad-mem?urn=nfl-wp6006

I think this is really really funny. Apparently Pryor wants to wear #2, but they won't let him because it brings back too many bad JaMarcuss Russell memories