Author Topic: Who was the biggest Pats bust ever?  (Read 15065 times)

Re: Who was the biggest Pats bust ever?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:56:41 PM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
My girlfriends dad is a longitme season ticket holder and we've had this discussion a few times before.  In the end we both came up with Maroney and Chad Jackson are the two biggest busts in the last 15 years. Yes maroney played well at the end of 07  but the facts are the facts, the guy was a middle of the pack 1st rounder. Santonio Holmes, Deangelo Williams, Nick Mangold, LenDale White, Maur. Jones-Drew, Brandon Marshall, and Elvis Dumervill were all drafted AFTER Maroney, and most were drafted after Jackson in that draft.  That is huge,  Maroneys entire career has been a juggle between being the guy that doesnt hit the hole hard and dances behind the line, injuries to his shoulder, and now when he is finally hitting the hole hard he has the fumbling issues. How many chances do you get, how many times do you change your game before you finally have to admit you just arent that good.  For the hype that came with these guys, for what we needed these guys to do, they have not just underachieved those goals in their stay w/ NE  but completely failed.   Maroney will be lucky to get out of training camp this year still on this roster.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Maroney had a very promising rookie year along with Corey Dillion and was very solid at the end of 07 so I can't see him as a bust. Crable has been injured his whole career so I don't consider a bust either. I'd have to go with C Jack as the most recent bust
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 10:48:26 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Jets are winning the next 5 Super Bowls and the Pats suck, so who cares?
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 10:49:52 PM »

Offline Celtics Insider

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 28
Maroney had a very promising rookie year along with Corey Dillion and was very solid at the end of 07 so I can't see him as a bust. Crable has been injured his whole career so I don't consider a bust either. I'd have to go with C Jack as the most recent bust
Just cause Maroney had a good rookie year means nothing. The rest of his career has sucked. And if you've been injured your whole career, that's an automatic bust label.

And for my Jets, I'll have to say Vernon Gholston, unless the switch to DE jump-starts his career.
http://celticsinsider.freehostingcloud.com/
Celtics Insider - Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics And NBA!

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 10:53:32 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bledsoe. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
When you compare Maoney to Joseph Addai it's not that bad actually

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 04:17:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Jets are winning the next 5 Super Bowls and the Pats suck, so who cares?

Are you kidding?  The Jets will not make the playoffs this year.  Mark it down.  They are the most combustible team in the league.  Thats what happens when you put 53 Jerks on one team.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Katzenmoyer (sp). I thought that guy was going to be a beast.

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Thats a pretty good one.  I had totally forgot about him. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't know.

It was a given that he was pretty much a reach for the first round that year. He was a classic case of a great college football player but had not enough strength, size, quickness or speed to make it at the next level.

If I remember correctly, a lot of draft prognosticators thought him to be mid 2nd round talent at best and more like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Kinda like Tim Tebow, who no one will be surprised if he tanks except those fans in Denver who all have their hopes up that he's the next Elway.

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
BTW is Ben Watson still with the team?

Nope, he signed with the Browns in March.

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

He had some pretty severe neck injuries though, didn't he?  I remember he was very highly regarded a while before the draft, but that his stock slipped leading up to the draft (because of injury concerns?).  I remember it being a bit of a reach where they picked him (not a huge reach, but a reach nonetheless). 

Still, as with Crable I don't think it's fair to paint him as a true bust given that it was the neck injury that drive him out of football.

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 06:41:25 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Biggest bust ever was Kenneth Sims.  And I'd take Hart Lee Dykes ahead of Chad Jackson for biggest WR bust ever.

Sims was a number 1 overall pick in 1982.  He played 8 lackluster seasons -- 17 career sacks as a DE.

Jim Plunkett cannot be said to have had a 'bust' career, but he was a bust with NE.  Another #1 overall selection (1971), he was mediocre at best in 4+ seasons for NE.  BTW -- I was at his first game as a Patriot.  Everyone thought he was going to be something special.  It took him about 10 years to hook up with the Raiders who allowed him to heave up long balls for Cliff Branch and hand off to Marcus Allen.  He was perfect there -- but was pretty bad for the Pats.

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Bledsoe. ;)
Whew...brave of you to say so...Unfulfilled potential.  I have to agree, all hopes were pinned on Bledsoe.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Bledsoe. ;)
Whew...brave of you to say so...Unfulfilled potential.  I have to agree, all hopes were pinned on Bledsoe.

I couldn't disagree more.  Say what you will about the guy but he had a hall of fame career.  He is top 10 in almost all passing stats.  He brought us to a superbowl, and was responsible for us winning the 2001 superbowl, (See second best off the bench peformance of all time in the 2001 AFC Championship...First was Pedro against Cleveland in 99). 

And nowadays when it seems like Athletes are more spoiled now more than ever, can you picture any other Franchise QB getting hurt, replaced, and then mentoring and supporting a late draft pick?  Drew was a class act and a great player while he was here.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16