Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 234479 times)

mobilija and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 605
Not sure if this has been posted....but this guy just cannot be trusted

Joe Mazzulla said Kristaps Porzingis asked for a sub a few plays before he checked out:

"I saw him trying to fight through it for a few extra possessions, so I knew it wasn't too, too serious, but it was obviously something that was bothering him."

https://x.com/NoaDalzellNBA/status/1785705056601243757
Still don't believe in Joe.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25611
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Joe Mazzulla said Kristaps Porzingis asked for a sub a few plays before he checked out:

"I saw him trying to fight through it for a few extra possessions, so I knew it wasn't too, too serious, but it was obviously something that was bothering him."

I don't understand why this hasn't been a big deal.  It seems like the only people irritated by it are me and my 12 year old.

KP was clearly limping.  Joe should have taken him out.  Then he got knocked around on a screen.  Joe should have taken him out.  Then he was unable to play, and he took himself out.

What is Joe thinking there?  Our most fragile player is limping around and obviously hurting, and Joe's response is "must not be too bad"?  Without checking with KP and/or the trainer?

And, if this is literal, I'd seriously consider firing Joe today:

... Kristaps Porzingis asked for a sub a few plays before he checked out

If your key big man with a history of injuries to the same part of his body ASKS TO COME OUT OF THE GAME, there is zero reason to keep him in there.  Because that ridiculously poor decision, KP possibly (probably?) made the injury worse, and in turn will miss more time.

Okay, white knights:  how do you defend this decision?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3029
  • On To Banner 18!

I don't understand why this hasn't been a big deal.  It seems like the only people irritated by it are me and my 12 year old.

KP was clearly limping.  Joe should have taken him out.  Then he got knocked around on a screen.  Joe should have taken him out.  Then he was unable to play, and he took himself out.

What is Joe thinking there?  Our most fragile player is limping around and obviously hurting, and Joe's response is "must not be too bad"?  Without checking with KP and/or the trainer?

If your key big man with a history of injuries to the same part of his body ASKS TO COME OUT OF THE GAME, there is zero reason to keep him in there.  Because that ridiculously poor decision, KP possibly (probably?) made the injury worse, and in turn will miss more time.

I can't. That's on Joe.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595

It's simple, Joe didn't say that.

Did anybody even listen to the quote, or just run with the inaccurate headline because that's what they want to believe?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1468

Did anybody even listen to the quote, or just run with the inaccurate headline because that's what they want to believe?

Spot on BDM. Might be a good idea to listen to the interview first instead of just assuming the worst simply because you don’t like Joe.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Spot on BDM. Might be a good idea to listen to the interview first instead of just assuming the worst simply because you don’t like Joe.

Even if KP didn't ask out, what is Joe doing having him play through his limp and subsequent awkward flop on the illegal screen?  Did that not happen, either?

And, it's not even clear that the original tweet was a misinterpretation. 

Quote from: Joe Mazzulla

The quote is word for word, and the part about KP asking out comes from this:

Quote from: Joe Mazzulla
"He didn't tell me specifically what it was, he just kind of told me that he needed one.  It was a couple of other possessions that he was able to get through, and then I took the opportunity to get him out as fast as we could.  He didn't tell me exactly what it was in that moment, but I knew obviously that he was injured."

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/1chq2mj/nbc_sports_boston_joe_mazzulla_talks_with/

So, maybe you guys should practice what you preach?  According to that quote, KP "kind of told" Joe that he needed "one".  He then spent a couple of other possessions trying to play through it, even though Joe knew KP was "injured".

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 03:14:18 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1400

The link goes to a page that no longer exists, does anyone know where else it might be found?

EDIT: Nvm, I'm assuming the Reddit link Roy posted is what the original one was.

I'm speculating, but maybe it was because there was no break in play where he could sub him out without fouling or calling a timeout?

I did notice him limping as well, because Scal brought it up. But it was hard to tell initially how bad it was. I did think he was going to get subbed out at the next break in play or foul. Obviously they ended up having to foul after he grimaced and pulled up and he was subbed out then. There's obviously a case for Joe to burn a timeout or foul and pull him out immediately, but I've also seen players try and run off stingers successfully. Clearly in hindsight he should have been subbed out immediately, timeout or no timeout.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 03:22:39 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595

Even if KP didn't ask out, what is Joe doing having him play through his limp and subsequent awkward flop on the illegal screen?  Did that not happen, either?

I think players limp all the time in games for brief moments (or at least move gingerly).  Was it just a stinger, some funny bone, charlie horse type thing, where it hurts for a second, but you can just shake it off and keep playing?  I feel like I've seen that from all the key Celtics this series already (Tatum with his ankle injury in the same game for instance).

Guys will tell you when they're hurt and need to come out. They know to fall down or whatever, so you can call a timeout or your teammates can take a foul. KP didn't appear to do that, until he was really hurt.

If you think KP should be handled with kiddie gloves due to his proneness to injury, and the first sign of any injury the C's need to burn a time out to take him out of the game to check on him, I wouldn't say that's wrong (but you'd probably end up burning a few timeouts just to hear your player say I'm fine).  That's not something I think any coach does though.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 605

I think players limp all the time in games for brief moments (or at least move gingerly).  Was it just a stinger, some funny bone, charlie horse type thing, where it hurts for a second, but you can just shake it off and keep playing?  I feel like I've seen that from all the key Celtics this series already (Tatum with his ankle injury in the same game for instance).

Guys will tell you when they're hurt and need to come out. They know to fall down or whatever, so you can call a timeout or your teammates can take a foul. KP didn't appear to do that, until he was really hurt.

If you think KP should be handled with kiddie gloves due to his proneness to injury, and the first sign of any injury the C's need to burn a time out to take him out of the game to check on him, I wouldn't say that's wrong (but you'd probably end up burning a few timeouts just to hear your player say I'm fine).  That's not something I think any coach does though.

Wasn't a brief moment, it was a couple plays. I don't think it happens as much as you seem to think either.
They were in control of the game and a first half TO isn't that important to save.

How many stories do you hear like this? I'd think most coaches in that situation wouldn't leave their glass body center out there when it's obvious there's a lower leg injury.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Wasn't a brief moment, it was a couple plays. I don't think it happens as much as you seem to think either.
They were in control of the game and a first half TO isn't that important to save.

How many stories do you hear like this? I'd think most coaches in that situation wouldn't leave their glass body center out there when it's obvious there's a lower leg injury.

And, even if Joe was stupidly waiting for a stoppage in play to manage KP's injury, he got a perfect opportunity:  on the play KP was knocked down, White was called four a foul and play stopped.  There was no need for a timeout if Joe was that stubborn.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1013
Joe apologists should just stop it. He derailed in what hopes of a Celtics championship by not listening to his player hobbled by injury. Now our second best player is out, and him leaving Tatum in that caused a rolled ankle got him hampered too even if Tatum isn't admitting it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322

I am shocked that you want to fire Joe. I think Palpatine said it best- Let the hate flow through you.

We have no idea if Porzingis hurt himself more after staying in the game. We do know that certain fans want to blame Joe for anything bad that happens.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1624
  • What a Pub Should Be
Joe apologists should just stop it. He derailed in what hopes of a Celtics championship by not listening to his player hobbled by injury. Now our second best player is out, and him leaving Tatum in that caused a rolled ankle got him hampered too even if Tatum isn't admitting it.

Nothing's been derailed.  Stop it with the crisis acting.

Fast forward 3 weeks from now, this team will still be playing playoff basketball.  And most likely 5 weeks too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I am shocked that you want to fire Joe. I think Palpatine said it best- Let the hate flow through you.

He cost us a playoff game, and aided in a serious injury to perhaps our most important player.  Should there be no consequences to any of that?

I would much rather have my coach sleeping with his subordinate then I would have my coach losing games and injuring our top talent.

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Aided in a serious injury? Come on, this is hyperbole. You have no idea when the "serious injury" occurred. The internet doctors online are guessing.

Deep breathing people. Porzingis isn't out for the playoffs. And if he was, it wouldn't be Joe's fault, and they would still have a good chance to win a championship.