Author Topic: Phil Kessel Officially a Toronto Maple Leaf. Pierre LeBrun reports...  (Read 9964 times)

Re: Phil Kessel Officially a Toronto Maple Leaf. Pierre LeBrun reports...
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Everyone keeps tyalking about a trade at the deadline (on other message boards as well) but the Bruins still only have 1.7 (about) mil in Salary cap room. Unless I'm missing something (and I very well could be) that's not gonna get you a big time player.   

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02:02 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Everyone keeps tyalking about a trade at the deadline (on other message boards as well) but the Bruins still only have 1.7 (about) mil in Salary cap room. Unless I'm missing something (and I very well could be) that's not gonna get you a big time player.   

True, but they will shed some salary for 2010-11. Morris and Savard will free up some space for them to work with unless they bring them both back, and there are a ton of expiring contracts the Bruins have for the 2010-2011 season. They have options to work with, but I agree with those who say it's too early to tell as well. If their team is better then it is now with Kessel in two years, it's a good deal. I just like where they are at after this deal.

Keep in mind too, Kessel wanted out in a big way, and played zero defense, which is what Julien's system needs to succeed. To get two first rounders and a second rounder from a rebuilding team for a talent best described as mercurial and inconsistent is fine with me.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not being a Hockey fan.... I just assume it's bad news that the only Boston player i've heard of is now gone.

Wasn't he like 20 years old or something? 

He's the Eddie House of The Bruins, but he's marketed as the Paul Pierce.

If Eddie House was our leading scorer. ;)

Somebody needs to score goals.  However, if Toronto finishes in the bottom-10 again this year, this trade has a chance of paying off.  I just think it's very likely that none of those draft picks ever yield a guy as good as Kessel, regardless of whether he generally plays only one way.  (Also, I think that "one way hockey" thing is overblown.  He played a much more physical season last year, and was throwing around checks in the playoffs even with a bad shoulder.)

This has Joe Thornton written all over it. While I agree that two firsts and a second is decent compensation, it's not like the NBA where top picks are almost guaranteed to contribute- it's more like MLB. I am in agreement with you Roy that the Bruins do need to win now. This kid has tons of potential. I guess now I have to root against him in order for the Bruins to get higher picks...

You just compared Phil Kessel to Joe Thornton... :o

Phil Kessel is a very good scorer, Joe is a good scorer and an EXCELLENT set up man. The Joe move was becuase they didn't wanna pay a high contract, this is becuase they didn't feel he deserves what he's asking AND they don't think he's a key part of the team. I'm sure they also feel that some of those goals were great passes by the all-star center he was playing with.

But either way let me say that i'm very excited to be discussing the B's on Celticsblog. Usually these just fizzle out.  ;D

Eh, knew I would take some flack for that comparison. I get that Joe was much further into his NHL career and solidified himself as a top player (which makes that trade even worse...and everyone knew it at the time). I guess this is more like the Richard Seymour deal...and I do agree with Hoyo that if someone does come up that looks enticing, we have several picks for trade now. I guess I just liked Kessel and his potential.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not being a Hockey fan.... I just assume it's bad news that the only Boston player i've heard of is now gone.

Somebody needs to score goals.  However, if Toronto finishes in the bottom-10 again this year, this trade has a chance of paying off.  I just think it's very likely that none of those draft picks ever yield a guy as good as Kessel, regardless of whether he generally plays only one way.  (Also, I think that "one way hockey" thing is overblown.  He played a much more physical season last year, and was throwing around checks in the playoffs even with a bad shoulder.)

This has Joe Thornton written all over it. While I agree that two firsts and a second is decent compensation, it's not like the NBA where top picks are almost guaranteed to contribute- it's more like MLB. I am in agreement with you Roy that the Bruins do need to win now. This kid has tons of potential. I guess now I have to root against him in order for the Bruins to get higher picks...

Phil Kessel is a very good scorer, Joe is a good scorer and an EXCELLENT set up man. The Joe move was becuase they didn't wanna pay a high contract, this is becuase they didn't feel he deserves what he's asking AND they don't think he's a key part of the team. I'm sure they also feel that some of those goals were great passes by the all-star center he was playing with.

But either way let me say that i'm very excited to be discussing the B's on Celticsblog. Usually these just fizzle out.  ;D

Eh, knew I would take some flack for that comparison. I get that Joe was much further into his NHL career and solidified himself as a top player (which makes that trade even worse...and everyone knew it at the time). I guess this is more like the Richard Seymour deal...and I do agree with Hoyo that if someone does come up that looks enticing, we have several picks for trade now. I guess I just liked Kessel and his potential.

Kessel didn't want to be here though, so no matter what he had... it was the right move to get 2 first rounders for him.

But if it makes you feel better, jump on this wagon for potential...

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 04:17:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Kessel didn't want to be here though, so no matter what he had... it was the right move to get 2 first rounders for him.

But if it makes you feel better, jump on this wagon for potential...

Haha, you are all over this thread, eh? Well, like I said, they got good value for him, I just hate seeing the Bruins give up another talented player for no guarantee. It feels like a step backwards when they have been making big leaps forward lately...as for Kessel not wanting to be here, he's 22, what the heck does he know? Give him a championship and he will be happy anywhere.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 04:28:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's what Chiarelli said:

"Let me be perfectly clear," Chiarelli said. "This trade is really about two things. One, it's about a player who did not want to play in Boston. Two, it's about the threat or the perceived threat of an offer sheet."
. . .
"We want players that want to be here," Chiarelli said. "I know that this player is a good player. Obviously he is. He can skate. He can shoot the puck. But we want players that want to be here. We want to grow the team with these types of players. I know the history here, but this isn't about frugality. There were some significant [contract] offers made. There was little or no attempt to negotiate from the other side, which I think is for a reason, which is the reason I explained earlier."

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 11:24:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think this was a very good deal by the B's.  I wish they could have gotten at least 1 player who could contribute right now, but ultimately it is a very good haul.  While Kessel is an absolute sniper, he also had huge holes in his game, and reportedly had some real maturity issues.  To be able to get those three picks for him is a very good haul. 

It also gives them good flexibility this season, with the extra cap room.  They could be very active at the deadline with all the picks they have in the next 2 years, and that extra cap space. 

In addition, they also have some other nice young players, who may be able to step in this year.  If someone like Hamill can step up and make the team, and Sturm and Kreiji prove to be healthy, then they really shouldn't miss Kessel that much.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
This is a good trade for the Bruins. 2 first round picks and a 2nd is a very good package for Kessel. I guess we will need Sturm to come back healthy AND produce, so that we dont have problems scoring goals this year. Sturm was a non factor last year so he is essentially Kessels replacement.

A couple years ago the Bruins could hardly even score, but made the playoffs due to Tim Thomas's extravagant goalkeep.

Provided Thomas doesnt back down from what has been a great couple seasons for him, Bruins really shouldnt be much worse or better. You also have to consider that the younger players will have developed and project to perform more this coming season.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 11:34:32 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
This trade is looking better and better by the day.  The Leafs are currently 0-6-1.  If this keeps up, the B's could be looking at at top 5 pick (if not higher)...and that is only the first of 3 picks they have from them. 

Obviously the B's are looking to win now, but they would look pretty [dang] good next year with Taylor Hall wearing the B. 

This may quickly start looking like an Auerbachesque trade.

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
They traded kobasew or however you spell it yesterday for a second round pick. 
I think this puts their total up to 9 picks in the first two rounds over the next two years. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 11:39:09 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
They traded kobasew or however you spell it yesterday for a second round pick. 
I think this puts their total up to 9 picks in the first two rounds over the next two years. 

Yup.  The Kobasew trade also opened up about an extra $2.5 million in cap space.  I would be shocked if they don't trade at least 1-2 of those picks for an impact player this season, now that they have cleared the space...although that space could also be used to make room to keep Savard next year.