Author Topic: Jaylen questions changes to Celtics' culture  (Read 9933 times)

Re: Jaylen questions changes to Celtics' culture
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2017, 08:54:12 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Hey look, I'm a little tired of hearing all of these slick comments by IT and now Brown talking about the culture. That team didn't win anything and could've easily lost to the Bulls and were toyed with by the Cavs. Some act like IT led the team to 2 NBA titles and then Ainge traded him.

Brown, it's time to step up and ball. We finally have some top talent. IT keeps acting like he was traded to the Nets and is still butt hurt. We no longer have to watch the team shoot 4-30 from 3, let teams go on runs of 22-0, 16-0. Ainge upgraded the talent. Nothing wrong with hard work but you need talent to win in the NBA and now we have it.

Well see if the team is actually better. Most observers, including 80% of GMs think were still the second best team in the East. And still about 54 wins.

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2017, 09:30:06 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Hey look, I'm a little tired of hearing all of these slick comments by IT and now Brown talking about the culture. That team didn't win anything and could've easily lost to the Bulls and were toyed with by the Cavs. Some act like IT led the team to 2 NBA titles and then Ainge traded him.

Brown, it's time to step up and ball. We finally have some top talent. IT keeps acting like he was traded to the Nets and is still butt hurt. We no longer have to watch the team shoot 4-30 from 3, let teams go on runs of 22-0, 16-0. Ainge upgraded the talent. Nothing wrong with hard work but you need talent to win in the NBA and now we have it.

Well see if the team is actually better. Most observers, including 80% of GMs think were still the second best team in the East. And still about 54 wins.

That's how big the gap is to the Cavs. Doesn't mean we're not a better team. Think about it this way... does this '17-18 team beat the '16-17 team in a 7 game series?

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

That's how big the gap is to the Cavs. Doesn't mean we're not a better team. Think about it this way... does this '17-18 team beat the '16-17 team in a 7 game series?

We frankly havent a clue. This team has yet to play a game.

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2017, 09:57:27 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Honestly, the first quarter of Monday's game was difficult for me to watch. Couldn't relate to the fact that these players were actually Celtics. They could have substituted the Trailblazers for the Celtics and it would have felt the same. Gradually, I came around to warming up to the new additions as the game progressed.

Jaylen does have a point about last year's culture. They didn't win the NBA Championship, but they played like Champions. They were a determined bunch and often defeated teams with shear energy and determination. Sometimes I think we overvalue winning Championships. Not that they are not important, but realistically there is only going to be one Championship team in a single season. We were quite fortunate to witness this group come together and achieve what they did. I hope 15 years from now they have a day honoring this group. They should be respected as much as any Championship team.

Because of this year's team's height and higher talent level they may not need to expend as much energy to win games. Thus, the culture may be different. Hopefully, they'll have as much, if not even more success than 2016-2017 team.

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2017, 11:07:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The knock on Jaylen has always been he might be too smart for his own good. He said a smart thing. Kinda acting in his idiom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jO1EOhGkY0

I don't think there's such a thing as "too smart for his own good." Seems to me a weird thing to say because this implies that we otherwise think of basketball players as dumb? I don't see how anyone could be too smart for his/her own good, especially in athletes.
I think you are taking the wrong meaning from the phrase. It generally means either means being smart enough to notice something complex but lacking of discretion(think whistleblower), or, in Jaylen's case, being smart enough to have other interests, causing a lack in focus or priorities.

Jaylen has proven he can walk and chew gum. He pretty clearly puts in the work.
But he didn't say anything negative. He is just saying the reset the great culture. Back to square one on that. They need to build it now.

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 12:21:51 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Honestly, the first quarter of Monday's game was difficult for me to watch. Couldn't relate to the fact that these players were actually Celtics. They could have substituted the Trailblazers for the Celtics and it would have felt the same. Gradually, I came around to warming up to the new additions as the game progressed.

Jaylen does have a point about last year's culture. They didn't win the NBA Championship, but they played like Champions. They were a determined bunch and often defeated teams with shear energy and determination. Sometimes I think we overvalue winning Championships. Not that they are not important, but realistically there is only going to be one Championship team in a single season. We were quite fortunate to witness this group come together and achieve what they did. I hope 15 years from now they have a day honoring this group. They should be respected as much as any Championship team.

Because of this year's team's height and higher talent level they may not need to expend as much energy to win games. Thus, the culture may be different. Hopefully, they'll have as much, if not even more success than 2016-2017 team.

So should we have a day honoring the 01-02 team as well?

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2017, 12:30:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The knock on Jaylen has always been he might be too smart for his own good. He said a smart thing. Kinda acting in his idiom.

I don't think there's such a thing as "too smart for his own good." Seems to me a weird thing to say because this implies that we otherwise think of basketball players as dumb? I don't see how anyone could be too smart for his/her own good, especially in athletes.
I think you are taking the wrong meaning from the phrase. It generally means either means being smart enough to notice something complex but lacking of discretion(think whistleblower), or, in Jaylen's case, being smart enough to have other interests, causing a lack in focus or priorities.

But he didn't say anything negative. He is just saying the reset the great culture. Back to square one on that. They need to build it now.

Yeah, I mean, he’s just stating the obvious. They replaced practically the entire roster, of course they need to build their own identity and culture. Anything else would be absurd

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2017, 01:01:40 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88

Yeah, I mean, he’s just stating the obvious. They replaced practically the entire roster, of course they need to build their own identity and culture. Anything else would be absurd
It's even not about whether he has a point or not, as a player you don't question your coach or
GM in public because it becomes a distraction and is bad for team chemistry, it's unprofessional
You have anything to say or feeling, talk to them in private, one on one,  get it done and focus on winning.
I thought he is better than this, really disappointed

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

It's even not about whether he has a point or not, as a player you don't question your coach or
GM in public because it becomes a distraction and is bad for team chemistry, it's unprofessional
You have anything to say or feeling, talk to them in private, one on one,  get it done and focus on winning.

I see it as an act of leadership.  He's publicly holding the team (himself included) accountable for maintaining what made them so special last year with a new roster this season. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'm sure he's wicked intelligent but he's 20 so he doesn't know sh*t about work place culture.
ok fine

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'm sure he's wicked intelligent but he's 20 so he doesn't know sh*t about work place culture.

Back off, Willy

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

I see it as an act of leadership.  He's publicly holding the team (himself included) accountable for maintaining what made them so special last year with a new roster this season.

“[The IT / Kyrie trade] changes the whole dynamic, the whole culture. We’ll see if it’s for good or bad, time will tell. But it’s still a little weird to me, to be honest, because when I came in everything they stressed was culture, environment, Celtic basketball. Now, it’s like what is the environment, the culture, what is Celtic basketball? I think it’s a great opportunity for me, great opportunity for the Celtics, great opportunity for Kyrie. Obviously, I loved Isaiah. He was like a big brother to me. I watched him, admired him, the chip he carried on his shoulder I love him. I still do. I’ve kept in contact with him. Congratulated him when he got traded to the Cavs. It’s tough because it’s the business we live in. Do I agree with it? Not necessarily. I think Isaiah definitely tried to plant his flag in Boston. He will definitely be missed—he and Jae [Crowder] both.

That really doesn't sound like you proposed...I see he is questioning the changes=Danny(and CBS's)decision

Again he may or maynot have a point, but to say it in public is just wrong

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2017, 04:20:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Agree to disagree, playdream.  I just don't read it that way at all.  But that is my reality, and I appreciate you as a human being. 

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
Agree to disagree, playdream.  I just don't read it that way at all.  But that is my reality, and I appreciate you as a human being.
That's fine, I always tend to get the intention behind the words,hope i can be optmistic like you do

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2017, 08:10:12 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Back off, Willy

Nerve struck?  ;)
ok fine