Author Topic: Who is giving AL 4 years  (Read 8460 times)

Re: Who is giving AL 4 years
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 738
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Mavericks Emerge As Favorites To Sign Al Horford

If it's really the Mavs that this info is coming from then this has to be a negotiating ploy.  Why go to the Mavs and lose when you can stay with the Celtics and lose.
Al Horford has made about 150 million from his NBA contracts.

Getting 100 million instead of 60 or 75 or 80 (whatever the C's offered) is a big deal.

Huh ? Whether he totals 150Mil, 200Mil, 250Mil, or "just" 50Mil, Horford and his family and his grandkids and their grandkids are all set financially for a very long time. Give me a break.
Nope, no break deserved.  This is not the way players look at it.  The correct comparison is 100 vs. 60.  Not "a lot of money" vs. "a whole lot of money".

I realize this is not the perspective of most players, though I would think Al Horford would be more level-headed than most. A lot of these players have a perspective that is way out of whack.

btw, I always liked your little signature quote from Johnny - I got to meet him after a game in Atlanta, 1978. Started listening to him on the radio at nite in the early 70's, when I could pick up the signal from WBZ.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

If it's really the Mavs that this info is coming from then this has to be a negotiating ploy.  Why go to the Mavs and lose when you can stay with the Celtics and lose.

Getting 100 million instead of 60 or 75 or 80 (whatever the C's offered) is a big deal.

Huh ? Whether he totals 150Mil, 200Mil, 250Mil, or "just" 50Mil, Horford and his family and his grandkids and their grandkids are all set financially for a very long time. Give me a break.
Nope, no break deserved.  This is not the way players look at it.  The correct comparison is 100 vs. 60.  Not "a lot of money" vs. "a whole lot of money".

I realize this is not the perspective of most players, though I would think Al Horford would be more level-headed than most. A lot of these players have a perspective that is way out of whack.

btw, I always liked your little signature quote from Johnny - I got to meet him after a game in Atlanta, 1978. Started listening to him on the radio at nite in the early 70's, when I could pick up the signal from WBZ.

It's not just about the money, though; it's about what the money represents. Al felt insulted when Atlanta wouldn't give him the max (even though they were still offering him more than anyone else could), in part because it meant that they didn't value him as highly as he thought they should

If a team is willing to offer you 4/$100, they clearly value you very highly and really want you on the team. Probably more than the team offering 1 year and $40 million less
I'm bitter.

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
RealGM

Verified account

@RealGM
 3m3 minutes ago
More

Basketball is a business. Al should maximize his earnings as much as possible for as long as possible.
Amen. Show me the money. If someone here is going to say $40 million isn't a big deal and that Horford shouldn't try to maximize his earnings, then they are most likely a hypocrite because if the situation was that they were in Horford's shoes, they would definitely think $40 million is a very, very big deal.

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
If Al is going to Dallas for that extra money, then I’m all for it. Make that money while you can, man. We likely wouldn’t be contenders if he stayed anyways, and I don’t really want him on the books for $100M, too. So I’ll be happy for him. Will be good to root for him in Dallas, too.

Anywhere but the Lakers (abd maybe Brooklyn with Kyrie) - then you’ll be dead to me.

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Dont. be shock if its the 76ers!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I really don't get this. He is a true center (and even moreso a few years down the road as he slows down). I don't really think Embiid or Horford can guard on the perimeter very well, its hard to imagine them playing on the floor together for major minutes. Isolation scoring is also really important for closing minutes of close basketball games. Who is the 76ers best iso scorer with horford, simmons, embiid, reddick and ?

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
It's gonna be the clippers or dallas.

But hopefully its via a s&t with a pick included.

Same as kyrie.

Then 1 tpe for kemba.
And then part of the horford tpe for capela
Leavi g about 10 million in tpe.
Full mle

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1554
I still keep coming back to Al opted out of 30 million this year.  I think there was a pretty good chance (barring injury) that next summer he would have gotten 3 years, 70 million from someone (~23.5 million a year - and probably could have gotten a 4 year contract at something like 90 million over 4 years), such that I'm not so sure he actually needed to opt out.  Now if he eclipses 100 million, then I think that was a pretty good decision to opt out, but I'm not so sure he actually needed to opt out to maximize his earning potential. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I still keep coming back to Al opted out of 30 million this year.  I think there was a pretty good chance (barring injury) that next summer he would have gotten 3 years, 70 million from someone (~23.5 million a year - and probably could have gotten a 4 year contract at something like 90 million over 4 years), such that I'm not so sure he actually needed to opt out.  Now if he eclipses 100 million, then I think that was a pretty good decision to opt out, but I'm not so sure he actually needed to opt out to maximize his earning potential.

There's also optimizing vs. guaranteeing. He may not have needed to opt out in order to maximize his earnings, but he did in order to guarantee it.

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2019, 04:21:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Al is going to Dallas for that extra money, then I’m all for it. Make that money while you can, man. We likely wouldn’t be contenders if he stayed anyways, and I don’t really want him on the books for $100M, too. So I’ll be happy for him. Will be good to root for him in Dallas, too.

Anywhere but the Lakers (abd maybe Brooklyn with Kyrie) - then you’ll be dead to me.

I read today that he doesn’t have a meeting scheduled with Dallas. That could be a smokescreen though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2019, 05:33:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
The Kings?

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think it comes down to $ I mean 4 years $80 million is a LOT different that 4 years $100+ million. Some team could be dumb enough, Lakers are stupid wouldn't surprise me haha.

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it comes down to $ I mean 4 years $80 million is a LOT different that 4 years $100+ million. Some team could be dumb enough, Lakers are stupid wouldn't surprise me haha.
And 4 years $100 million is still even more different than the 4 year $112 million deal that is supposedly out there waiting for him. Even more different if that 4 year $112 million deal is from a team with no state income tax, like a Texas or Florida team.

Go get paid Al. No ill feelings towards you from me. You were great in your three years here.

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2019, 06:33:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

I really don't get this. He is a true center (and even moreso a few years down the road as he slows down). I don't really think Embiid or Horford can guard on the perimeter very well, its hard to imagine them playing on the floor together for major minutes. Isolation scoring is also really important for closing minutes of close basketball games. Who is the 76ers best iso scorer with horford, simmons, embiid, reddick and ?
I think the Sixers are serious about bringing Butler and Harris back so I doubt they've offered Horford anything yet.  If the Sixers keep Butler but lose Harris, I do think Horford would be a good option for the Sixers if they could get him on a 3 year deal. 
He can start at the 4 and slide over to the 5 when Embiid goes to the bench.  I think you underestimate Horford and Embiid guarding on the perimeter and they'd be backstopping each other. 

As to your question, Embiid would be the best iso scorer amongst the 4 you mention and he's pretty good at it.  However closing out games is why they need to retain Butler and retaining Butler would be my priority over Harris even with the age difference. 

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
And 4 years $100 million is still even more different than the 4 year $112 million deal that is supposedly out there waiting for him. Even more different if that 4 year $112 million deal is from a team with no state income tax, like a Texas or Florida team.

Go get paid Al. No ill feelings towards you from me. You were great in your three years here.

Even if he goes to the Fakers?. 😁