Author Topic: Danny Ainge messed up  (Read 5733 times)

Re: Danny Ainge messed up
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
For those still lamenting Ainge not getting Ibaka, you have to realize that Ibaka wanted to go to Toronto and was pushing to be dealt there because that is were he wanted to be long term. It looks like Orlando obliged Ibaka and got the best offer they could get from Toronto.

https://www.google.com/amp/clutchpoints.com/serge-ibaka-wants-go-raptors-magic-decide-trade/amp/

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2017, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
For those still lamenting Ainge not getting Ibaka, you have to realize that Ibaka wanted to go to Toronto and was pushing to be dealt there because that is were he wanted to be long term. It looks like Orlando obliged Ibaka and got the best offer they could get from Toronto.

https://www.google.com/amp/clutchpoints.com/serge-ibaka-wants-go-raptors-magic-decide-trade/amp/

But why did Orlando need to succumb to Ibaka's desire of going to Toronto? He is a free agent at the end of this season anyway, would it really have upset him if he had to spend a couple of months in Boston? We know that Danny wants to keep open his max FA space so it would have worked for both sides before his eventual departure to Toronto?

I don't really care either way - I am very satisfied with the direction of this team, but I think this has more to do with Danny not really offering anything of value (for any player) and less to do with Orlando only dealing with Toronto because that's what Ibaka (a player the city barely got to know) wanted.

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

But why did Orlando need to succumb to Ibaka's desire of going to Toronto? He is a free agent at the end of this season anyway, would it really have upset him if he had to spend a couple of months in Boston? We know that Danny wants to keep open his max FA space so it would have worked for both sides before his eventual departure to Toronto?

I don't really care either way - I am very satisfied with the direction of this team, but I think this has more to do with Danny not really offering anything of value (for any player) and less to do with Orlando only dealing with Toronto because that's what Ibaka (a player the city barely got to know) wanted.
If you know a player doesn't want to be playing for you and that he is going to bolt as soon as possible, why trade for him? Ibaka could very easily become a major headache in the locker room and dogged it on the court because he doesn't want to be in Boston and knows he will sign in Toronto in the off season because they already made it clear to him that they want him there.

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
i suck at titles, but i don't think my post was that bad
It wasn't a bad post.  Your point is correct that we could have made a run if we added Paul or Jimmy to our team.  But the title was bad as you say, and as others have pointed out you aren't considering what we would have given up.

That point is not correct.  There is nothing correct about it.  It is a guess and opinion at best, and a completely off-base assumption designed to troll at worst.

We have no idea if either of those two were available, and less of an idea of what it would have taken to get them here.  As saltlover posted, suppose you take 2 of the Bradley-Crowder-Smart combo off this team and replace them with Bulter/George.  The team might be marginally better if not worse.  Further, the team as currently constituted might make a run in the playoffs.

The last thing Danny Ainge has done while building this roster and acquiring young players and picks is "mess up."

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 05:12:09 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I would say the only true disappointment I have in Danny is night trading for PJ Tucker. He is playing really well in Toronto, and I think we could have easily beat Toronto's package without losing any rotational players.

Do you have any reports to back this up? How do we do Mcdonough had an offer on the table from Ainge that was better than Toronto's?

What if Ainge and staff didn't want Tucker?

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Messing up is a little strong....BUT

Tucker is one tough, high energy SOB. 25+ mpg for Raptors. Rebounds well, steals 1.3pg, hurt us when we played Raps right after deadline.

Young and Mickey suck. Why no PJ? No reason not to get him, especially going to a division rival.

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Neither Paul nor Butler move the needle that much. Boogie Cousins, well that is another matter.

Ah, Boogie would make us formidable-perhaps a contender.  He would have been a hard matchup for Cleveland and GS.  Wonder what a post season  would do for his attitude.   But IT4 sunk that battleship.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
obviously take this with a grain of salt. Who the hell am I?

But im just thinking, the Cavs look terrible, we could have had anybody we wanted

With Durant ailing and Warriors not looking as good, we could have made a great run this year.

Now on the other hand Ainge can make a good pick up in the off season and we will look good for years anyways and cleveland looks like they are not going to get any better

i just feel like if we had paul or jimmy, this team would be a favorite vs the cavs'

not saying we still wont give the Cavs a good fight and potentially win out

That's great. Blow all your capital for the right to get wasted by GS or SA.

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2017, 09:15:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552

If you know a player doesn't want to be playing for you and that he is going to bolt as soon as possible, why trade for him? Ibaka could very easily become a major headache in the locker room and dogged it on the court because he doesn't want to be in Boston and knows he will sign in Toronto in the off season because they already made it clear to him that they want him there.
It is called a rental it happens all the time.  And you know what, sometimes those rentals actually decide they like you.  I don't necessarily believe that Orlando would have rather had Rozier and 1st from us, then Ross and a 1st from Toronto, but if they had that is a trade you have to make 10 times out of 10. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It is called a rental it happens all the time.  And you know what, sometimes those rentals actually decide they like you.  I don't necessarily believe that Orlando would have rather had Rozier and 1st from us, then Ross and a 1st from Toronto, but if they had that is a trade you have to make 10 times out of 10.
Yeah, I know what its called and if you weren't trying to be so condescending and trying to show off how intelligent you are, you would see that almost nothing you said was pertinent to the discussion. Orlando attempted to appease Ibaka's wish of going to a team he wanted to go to and if he was sent here there is the very distinct possibility he becomes a problem because he doesn't want to be here. In the meantime, the Cs lose out on two good assets when the management felt this wasn't their year to compete.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:20:59 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2017, 11:12:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
i suck at titles, but i don't think my post was that bad
It wasn't a bad post.  Your point is correct that we could have made a run if we added Paul or Jimmy to our team.  But the title was bad as you say, and as others have pointed out you aren't considering what we would have given up.

That point is not correct.  There is nothing correct about it.  It is a guess and opinion at best, and a completely off-base assumption designed to troll at worst.

We have no idea if either of those two were available, and less of an idea of what it would have taken to get them here.  As saltlover posted, suppose you take 2 of the Bradley-Crowder-Smart combo off this team and replace them with Bulter/George.  The team might be marginally better if not worse.  Further, the team as currently constituted might make a run in the playoffs.

The last thing Danny Ainge has done while building this roster and acquiring young players and picks is "mess up."

Yes. The "win now" scenario includes a lot of not-so-pleasant outcomes...ones where there's no chemistry, ones where a new player dooms morale for one or more current players, ones where said player ends up bolting or punching his own ticket out of town for pennies on the dollar of the trade price we paid.

So in order for these moves to be worthwhile at the time, Danny would have been gambling that (a) they improved the team dramatically in the short run, (b) they didn't doom the 2020 Celtics because we let a franchise-level draft pick go, (c) any players we acquired would stick around, and (d) the teams at the top would suffer significantly damaging injuries of the Love/Durant sort.

The last point is particularly important. This is all second-guessing because Durant and Love have been hurt and some teams at the top look vulnerable. Otherwise, we'd have made something like the Ibaka move, Durant and Love stay healthy, GSW and CLE look like the juggernauts everyone expected, and we'd be hearing "what is Danny thinking making the team better NOW when we have no chance at a title for the next three years!?!?!" Because that's what a lot of people were saying earlier in the year.