Author Topic: Third place is within our grasp  (Read 4572 times)

Re: Third place is within our grasp
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 04:21:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not a huge fan of this. Of course I would like to get to 4 (with Indy at 5), but Philly doesn't seem to be doing what they need to do to get the 3 seed. Not that we are particularly favored this year, but I would rather play IND than DET and would also prefer MIL to TOR. Not to mention getting the 3 seed worsens our pick and gives us less money (albeit not very much) to include in an AD trade.

I suppose getting the 3rd seed can only strengthen Kyrie's desire to stay - more so than the 5th seed, but I just don't love the match-ups, personally. Winning is winning, I guess, though, and we should all be so happy if the Cs go into the playoffs looking like a powerhouse.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd be surprised if the Pacers ended up anywhere other than the 5th seed.  They've played admirably, but I have a hard time imagining them winning at a greater pace than either of the Celtics or Sixers over the remaining part of the season.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 05:18:44 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Not a huge fan of this. Of course I would like to get to 4 (with Indy at 5), but Philly doesn't seem to be doing what they need to do to get the 3 seed. Not that we are particularly favored this year, but I would rather play IND than DET and would also prefer MIL to TOR. Not to mention getting the 3 seed worsens our pick and gives us less money (albeit not very much) to include in an AD trade.

I suppose getting the 3rd seed can only strengthen Kyrie's desire to stay - more so than the 5th seed, but I just don't love the match-ups, personally. Winning is winning, I guess, though, and we should all be so happy if the Cs go into the playoffs looking like a powerhouse.

What he said!

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:38 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Pacers vs Sixers in a half hour.  Unfortunately someone has to win that game.

Philly wins.

We are now within a game of both Indiana and Philly.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 07:20:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I m gonna predict if C's take down Chippers  ;D.....we move on and take third spot ....

our rightful place . .

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 07:59:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
The ideal scenario is us getting the 4th seed. We're 1 game back of both the Sixers and Pacers. Just keep pace at this point, and then see in the final few weeks where the playoff picture stands before deciding to win or "tank" games. We're better off with a 4 seed facing 5th seeded IND then MIL as opposed to playing DET, then Toronto (which would be the case if we get the 3 seed).

This scenario would change IF Toronto overtakes Milwaukee for #1 but that's looking more unlikely at this point. I am really confident though that Indiana will slip to the 5th seed. Credit to them for what they're doing (reminds me a bit of our team last season), but they have an extremely brutal schedule to finish the year and they're already starting to stumble in it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Seems like a lot of you are assuming the #1 and #6 seeds are locked in already.

Brooklyn is only 0.5 games behind Detroit, though have the hardest remaining schedule, while Detroit has 13th hardest remaining schedule.  But Brooklyn can definitely overtake Detroit.

Toronto is 2.5 back of Milwaukee, and has the easiest remaining schedule.  Not impossible that they could become the #1 seed.  Though probably unlikely since the Raptors have lost the season series to the the Bucks, so will have to surpass them by a game.  10 of Milwaukee's remaining 16 games are against current playoff teams and play PHI x2, HOU, LAC, SAS, OKC, while only 5 of Toronto's remaining 16 are against playoff teams, toughest opponents being OKC x2, DET, BRK.  Toronto would have to go something like 13-2, while Milwaukee goes 10-6.  Maybe not likely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

And then another twist, if Toronto holds onto #2 and Detroit falls to #7, well Detroit is actually 2-0 against Toronto this year.  Small chance Detroit could upset the Raptors.  Would love the possibility of playing Detroit in the 2nd round (C's are 3-1 against them) instead of TOR or MIL.

Go for the best seed, and let the chips fall where they may.

(Though I'd still love to knock out Philly in the first round).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2019, 08:24:21 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Detroit is two games ahead of Brooklyn in the loss column. If they beat Brooklyn tomorrow, I think they are very likely to get the #6 seed.

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2019, 08:50:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Detroit is two games ahead of Brooklyn in the loss column. If they beat Brooklyn tomorrow, I think they are very likely to get the #6 seed.

I really hate that matchup for us. I feel like we'd struggle against two traditional big men.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Horford struggles against quick bigs that beat him to the spot like Tristan Thompson. Plotters like Drummond can be strung out to the arc.

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 09:37:27 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Actually looking at BRK schedule, maybe it'll be a little tougher for them to grab #6 than I first thought just looking at the standings.

Look at the remaining schedule for Brooklyn, 12 of their 14 remaining games are against playoff teams, and mostly good playoff teams too.

DET
@OKC
@UTA
@LAC
@SAC
@LAL (likely LeBron-less, since it's the 2nd night of a back-to-back for LAL)
@POR
@PHI
BOS
MIL
TOR
@MIL
@IND
MIA

Shoot, now I'm thinking Brooklyn might drop out of the playoffs altogether.  Eh, maybe not, if BRK goes 4-10, ORL would still have to go 9-5 to surpass them.  Still a brutal stretch for Brooklyn.  Their only hope may be some strategic rest games from their opponents.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
We need the third seed.

We beat Brooklyn or Detroit with ease with the home court advantage.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 09:56:42 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I've seen too much from this team this season to believe we've completely turned the corner, esp. considering the past 2 games really didn't look much different from our pre-GS win... only difference is we won the last couple games.

I still believe there's issues and question weather or not we can continue to overcome these issues.

if we get the 3rd spot then great! but I wouldn't go counting on it.

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
I've seen too much from this team this season to believe we've completely turned the corner, esp. considering the past 2 games really didn't look much different from our pre-GS win... only difference is we won the last couple games.

I still believe there's issues and question weather or not we can continue to overcome these issues.

if we get the 3rd spot then great! but I wouldn't go counting on it.

What issues in particular? ISO-ball? Poor transition D? Those are the ones I see as still lingering. However...

I do think the Celtics have improved with their half-court D and that Brad has had a tighter leash with timeouts!

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
We need the third seed.

We beat Brooklyn or Detroit with ease with the home court advantage.

Agreed. If we start the playoffs on the road, we potentially risk getting eliminated in the first round which would be an abysmal failure.