Poll

Does Taco make the team

Yes. Taco time is here to stay.
92 (61.7%)
No. No room for Tacos
57 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 149

Author Topic: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year  (Read 62247 times)

Re: Poll: Does Tacko make the 15 man roster this year
« Reply #270 on: July 27, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Ainge seems enthusiastic about all these bigs, but Stevens talks like he wants them to play some on the perimeter. Kanter, for example. That would take away from his main game, which is offensive rebounding and inside scoring. 

I wish the media would confront Ainge and Stevens about this--is there a conflict in their thinking?
^this. I'm worried about how Brad will play our big men, it seems like he wants them all to shoot threes and hang outside the perimeter.

me too....he has shown an inflexibility to coach in different ways and with hard personalities like Kyrie .   This might be his NBA undoing.

Brad's honeymoon is over, trust me. He will be under the microscope next season.
I don't think that's true. He didn't do a great job this past season, but he has been good most of his career. One season doesn't wipe that out. Sure he needs to be better this season, but I think Danny really believes in Brad and I would not say that he is in any way in danger of losing his job, even if the team under performs again. He might be under increased scrutiny from fans and media, but that's just background noise.

You do not think the fans matter to Danny? If the fans do not matter perhaps it is time for Danny to go too. The last championship was 2008. This is the Boston Celtics we are talking about, not the Atlanta Hawks who are just satisfied to be in the NBA. Brad Stevens is going into year 7 if I am not mistaken. Time to start producing, or dump that no inside game style he coaches.
well, we are getting far afield from the thread theme. but to add to the above, you imply and seem to assume that an "inside" game will produce the championships that have been missing for the past 11 years.

yet, for how many of those years did the celtics have stevens as coach, with his "outside game"? further, since 2014 when tim duncan was on the championship spurs team, how many teams have been marked by a strong, defining "inside game"?

this is not our father's nba and stevens understands that winning now means playing a different style of basketball. the problem seems less stevens strategy than the lack of talent that will play team ball.

Celtics need an inside game, I do not believe Tacko Fall is the short term answer.

To your point about recent Championship winners. Unless I am wrong the last 3 teams to win NBA are Warriors, Cavs, and Toronto. All three had rim protection and rim runners, do not kid yourself. NBA is still a big man's game.

You need a good inside game to at least handle those times when the threes are not falling. You need an inside game to grab those rebounds to get you extra possessions, and those morale breaking put back baskets that ruin 22-23 seconds of excellent perimeter defense.

Brad's love of small ball is not the answer. Tacko Fall is not the answer. You need serviceable bigs, playing big and not camped on the three point line jacking up threes
I don't understand why you're blaming Brad for roster composition. Other then Horford, Brad has yet to have an actually good big man. And oh yeah, it's a big man league, so that's why a big man hasn't been a finals MVP since Dirk (who definitely isn't a rim protector)... how about you don't kid yourself, the NBA has always been a star-powered league.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #271 on: July 27, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Why does the NBA STILL not have a true minor league system? I would LOVE to watch projects like Tacko develop in the system and hopefully come up to the big leagues. Especially with the league lowering the draft age requirement.

« Reply #272 on: July 27, 2019, 01:35:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Ainge seems enthusiastic about all these bigs, but Stevens talks like he wants them to play some on the perimeter. Kanter, for example. That would take away from his main game, which is offensive rebounding and inside scoring. 

I wish the media would confront Ainge and Stevens about this--is there a conflict in their thinking?
^this. I'm worried about how Brad will play our big men, it seems like he wants them all to shoot threes and hang outside the perimeter.

me too....he has shown an inflexibility to coach in different ways and with hard personalities like Kyrie .   This might be his NBA undoing.

Brad's honeymoon is over, trust me. He will be under the microscope next season.
I don't think that's true. He didn't do a great job this past season, but he has been good most of his career. One season doesn't wipe that out. Sure he needs to be better this season, but I think Danny really believes in Brad and I would not say that he is in any way in danger of losing his job, even if the team under performs again. He might be under increased scrutiny from fans and media, but that's just background noise.

You do not think the fans matter to Danny? If the fans do not matter perhaps it is time for Danny to go too. The last championship was 2008. This is the Boston Celtics we are talking about, not the Atlanta Hawks who are just satisfied to be in the NBA. Brad Stevens is going into year 7 if I am not mistaken. Time to start producing, or dump that no inside game style he coaches.
well, we are getting far afield from the thread theme. but to add to the above, you imply and seem to assume that an "inside" game will produce the championships that have been missing for the past 11 years.

yet, for how many of those years did the celtics have stevens as coach, with his "outside game"? further, since 2014 when tim duncan was on the championship spurs team, how many teams have been marked by a strong, defining "inside game"?

this is not our father's nba and stevens understands that winning now means playing a different style of basketball. the problem seems less stevens strategy than the lack of talent that will play team ball.

Celtics need an inside game, I do not believe Tacko Fall is the short term answer.

To your point about recent Championship winners. Unless I am wrong the last 3 teams to win NBA are Warriors, Cavs, and Toronto. All three had rim protection and rim runners, do not kid yourself. NBA is still a big man's game.

You need a good inside game to at least handle those times when the threes are not falling. You need an inside game to grab those rebounds to get you extra possessions, and those morale breaking put back baskets that ruin 22-23 seconds of excellent perimeter defense.

Brad's love of small ball is not the answer. Tacko Fall is not the answer. You need serviceable bigs, playing big and not camped on the three point line jacking up threes
I don't understand why you're blaming Brad for roster composition. Other then Horford, Brad has yet to have an actually good big man. And oh yeah, it's a big man league, so that's why a big man hasn't been a finals MVP since Dirk (who definitely isn't a rim protector)... how about you don't kid yourself, the NBA has always been a star-powered league.

Why dont you ask those finals MVP what the bigs on their team means to them. By the way, if NBA is so star driven why havent the last three regular season MVPs made the NBA finals?

« Reply #273 on: July 27, 2019, 02:05:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Why dont you ask those finals MVP what the bigs on their team means to them. By the way, if NBA is so star driven why havent the last three regular season MVPs made the NBA finals?
They would probably say they play a part in them winning... along with every other player on the team. And do you think that season MVP is the only star in the league, or even the best player? ...what kind of logic is that? You can have every big stiff in the world on your team, but it won't matter if you don't have star power.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2019, 11:54:40 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-tacko-fall-has-really-awesome-workout-joel-embiid

Embiid and Tacko! Mutombo and Tacko! He is soaking up knowledge and choosing some pretty good workout partners! Nice that Embiid gave him pointers..says a lot about him.

« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2019, 07:53:15 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Awesome..glad they helping him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2019, 07:28:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Why does the NBA STILL not have a true minor league system? I would LOVE to watch projects like Tacko develop in the system and hopefully come up to the big leagues. Especially with the league lowering the draft age requirement.
Cause they have to bankroll the WNBA

« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

So what % of the WNBA's budget is bankrolled by the NBA?

Also, what % of the Gatorade League?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2019, 02:05:07 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

The are slowly moving towards it.  One issue has been that not all of the NBA teams have a matching G-League affiliate.  Until they all do, they can't move the rules too heavily in favor of that model versus the current dependency on the NCAA.

But the trend is for more and more NBA teams to have an affiliate relationship with a G-League team (like the Cs have with the Red Claws).   And they've slowly but surely strengthened that relationship and adjusted the rules to make it more of a development option than it used to be.

It wasn't that long ago that they could barely ever send a young, end-of-the-bench player to the G-League to get minutes.  Now, they can send them as much as they need to for the kid's first three seasons.   It used to be that G-League salaries were barely competitive with flipping burgers at a McDs.   Now, the basic G-League contract is at least a living wage and if a player gets a 10-day call-up he can make very good cash.  And a 2-way contract can net a player anywhere from 75K to just under 300K (with an option to get converted to a full NBA minimum contract).

There is still a lot more needed to be done, but it's moving in the right direction.

Heck, the Celtics are actually in process to _buy_ the Red Claws, so they will own that team going forward.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2019, 10:12:32 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-tacko-fall-has-really-awesome-workout-joel-embiid

Embiid and Tacko! Mutombo and Tacko! He is soaking up knowledge and choosing some pretty good workout partners! Nice that Embiid gave him pointers..says a lot about him.

I think that the Sixers should sign Tacko and play Al Horford at wing.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #280 on: August 03, 2019, 08:28:45 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

From what I know WNBA and G-league are owned by the NBA. WNBA lost 10 million per year. Revenue is at $60 million with player contracts paying 20% of revenue to the players. So losses must be from general operations, health, travel and promotional costs. That investment could go into G-league to make it better. Some teams in both leagues have been purchased from the league and are owned by NBA "governors" but the NBA league runs the whole show just like in the NBA itself.

« Reply #281 on: August 03, 2019, 08:54:53 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

From what I know WNBA and G-league are owned by the NBA. WNBA lost 10 million per year. Revenue is at $60 million with player contracts paying 20% of revenue to the players. So losses must be from general operations, health, travel and promotional costs. That investment could go into G-league to make it better. Some teams in both leagues have been purchased from the league and are owned by NBA "governors" but the NBA league runs the whole show just like in the NBA itself.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the NBA should abandon the WNBA in order to invest in the G-League?

If so, that would be a major diplomatic catastrophe. This is something NBA owners definitely want to avoid. Look at the steps they took to halt the kneeling controversy. Putting an end to WNBA subsidies would be a disaster.

My guess is many (if not most) of the NBA owners are multi-billionaires. Cutting funding for a Women's League in order to create a minor league men's league, would make them look pathetic. This is not a reason these men/women chose to be NBA team owners.   

« Reply #282 on: August 03, 2019, 09:21:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the NBA should abandon the WNBA in order to invest in the G-League?

If so, that would be a major diplomatic catastrophe. This is something NBA owners definitely want to avoid. Look at the steps they took to halt the kneeling controversy. Putting an end to WNBA subsidies would be a disaster.

My guess is many (if not most) of the NBA owners are multi-billionaires. Cutting funding for a Women's League in order to create a minor league men's league, would make them look pathetic. This is not a reason these men/women chose to be NBA team owners.
Isn't the WNBA in a lockout right now due to complaints about salary? I don't think the NBA would be wrong to allocate the annual WNBA budget in this case to develop the G-League, and proceed to offer the option of playing in the NBA for WNBA players to earn the salary they think they deserve. Emphasis on if a lockout is under way right now.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #283 on: August 03, 2019, 09:34:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

It's business. They tried for over 20 years, the market isnt there for a WNBA and they just keep losing money. At least the development league is still relevant in producing talent for their main league. But hey the WNBA is a $10 million PR league that says the NBA cares about women's basketball so there is that way of looking at the spending. For me I close it down and get more invested in the minor league.

« Reply #284 on: August 03, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

It's business. They tried for over 20 years, the market isnt there for a WNBA and they just keep losing money. At least the development league is still relevant in producing talent for their main league. But hey the WNBA is a $10 million PR league that says the NBA cares about women's basketball so there is that way of looking at the spending. For me I close it down and get more invested in the minor league.
Agreed. TP for speaking out.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA