Author Topic: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma  (Read 31405 times)

Re: Jaylen's impending Free Agency could resemble the OKC Harden dilemma
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2019, 08:05:39 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think it should come down to who plays better this season.  It's time for everyone to show what their made of, and who's a better long-term fit for the Celts. Out of Hayward, Brown and Tatum, someone will be the odd man out. It's going to be redundant and a waste of money to sign 3 small forwards long-term.

If Brown continues his upswing from last season and can improve his free-throw shooting, then he should be a keeper.

It's up to Stevens and Ainge to evaluate who the better players are and deal off the guy who the team can do without.

It's also possible only one remains and the other 2 get dealt.

It's hard to gauge what the end game is as far how the roster is constructed.

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

Tatum is definitely a keeper.

So clearly Brown is the odd man out.

If the soon to be 30 year old & 30 mil a season Hayward goes through another 1/2 season and isn't significantly better than Brown, I don't see why Brown would 'clearly' be the odd man out.  That just isn't logical. 

I think you are over estimating the Brad-Gordon relationship's ability to influence Danny Ainge.  If someone has to go, and I am NOT convinced that one of the three does, do you keep the improving 23 year old player for 20 mil or do you keep the 30 year old 30 mil player who might be by the time this team is seriously competing again.  GH's contract is great for matching salary on another all-star-ish type player.  Jaylen's not so much.

Again, no one has played a minute of the upcoming season and you are already saying Brown is the odd man out.  You must have one outstanding 8-ball at home.

Reason why is very obvious.

Whether we like it or not, Brad is going to let Hayward play 30 minutes per game this coming season.

Last season some of the players complained about Brad giving Hayward special treatment.
I don't see why it's going to be different this coming season.
After all, the main reason why Hayward came to Boston is because of Brad Stevens.
Hayward would not have left Utah if not for Brad Stevens.

Also, Brown is not just going to cost 20m, it's going to be way more than just 20m per season.
It doesn't help the free-agent class next summer is weak.
That means Jaylen will be one of the top FAs next summer.

Jamal Murray got 34m per year.

Hield is about to get an extension.

A safe assumption would be Brown gets something in the middle of what Murray and Hield will get.
That's around 25-27m per year.

Jaylen needs to have a good start this season.
Celts can evaluate him from October to February.
If Jaylen is still with the Celts after the trade deadline then that means the Celts are willing to overpay for Jaylen in the summer of 2020.

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2019, 08:23:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it should come down to who plays better this season.  It's time for everyone to show what their made of, and who's a better long-term fit for the Celts. Out of Hayward, Brown and Tatum, someone will be the odd man out. It's going to be redundant and a waste of money to sign 3 small forwards long-term.

If Brown continues his upswing from last season and can improve his free-throw shooting, then he should be a keeper.

It's up to Stevens and Ainge to evaluate who the better players are and deal off the guy who the team can do without.

Warriors had Iggy, Klay and Barnes at one point. The only reason they let go of Barnes was because KD was available, so its no brainer. There's no KD in Brown's free agency. It's not like the trio of Hayward, Brown and Tatum have same skillsets. Different players with different skills regardless of position are never redundant. We have done it with AB, Smart and IT and it have some success to a degree.

You're forgetting that before AB was going to become a FA, Ainge traded him for Marcus Morris.

If Ainge didn't trade AB for Morris, the Celts were going to lose AB for nothing if they don't give him a big contract.

Jaylen Brown is in the same situation this season.
If the Celts don't trade Brown on or before the trade deadline, Celts will have to give Brown big money in the summer because they would lose him and get nothing in return if they refuse to pay up.
That contract Bradley would have signed would have been his third with the team. The Celtics had already signed him to  his 2nd contract after his rookie deal expired.

And, if I remember people were in arms because they thought Danny severely overpaid for AB. Turned out to be a good value contract overall.

I could see this 2nd Brown contract being much the same....thought to be an overpay to start but by the end of the contract, really good value

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2019, 08:28:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

Nonsense.

« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2019, 09:28:43 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

If the soon to be 30 year old & 30 mil a season Hayward goes through another 1/2 season and isn't significantly better than Brown, I don't see why Brown would 'clearly' be the odd man out.  That just isn't logical. 

I think you are over estimating the Brad-Gordon relationship's ability to influence Danny Ainge.  If someone has to go, and I am NOT convinced that one of the three does, do you keep the improving 23 year old player for 20 mil or do you keep the 30 year old 30 mil player who might be by the time this team is seriously competing again.  GH's contract is great for matching salary on another all-star-ish type player.  Jaylen's not so much.

Again, no one has played a minute of the upcoming season and you are already saying Brown is the odd man out.  You must have one outstanding 8-ball at home.

Whether we like it or not, Brad is going to let Hayward play 30 minutes per game this coming season.

Last season some of the players complained about Brad giving Hayward special treatment.
After all, the main reason why Hayward came to Boston is because of Brad Stevens.

Also, Brown is not just going to cost 20m, it's going to be way more than just 20m per season.

A safe assumption would be Brown gets something in the middle of what Murray and Hield will get.

If Jaylen is still with the Celts after the trade deadline then that means the Celts are willing to overpay for Jaylen in the summer of 2020.

I just don't get your logic.  So what if Hayward plays 30 min+ a game?  I mean he should, he is one of our best players.  Jaylen will get 30 min+ a game as well as he is one of our best players.  Neither of those facts have anything to do with who the C's Front Office might deal at the deadline.  With Hayward's injury, less than ideal recovery, less than ideal production makes him just as likely to get moved as anyone.  But more likely DA might not want to trade any of them at the deadline even if he was open to it because he doesn't get the offer he wants.

So in the other thread you are talking about how Jaylen is just a 'complimentary player' and how he will never be a major contributor and won't score enough to be a 1st or 2nd option (which I don't think you can come to that conclusion yet), but either way that is your opinion.  So why would this 'complimentary player' be able to pull 25-27 million?  If he isn't that good, why is anyone going to pay him that salary?  Seriously.  What team out there is going to pay max money to a 'complimentary player'?  Smart to me is the textbook definition of a 'complimentary player' and what did he get from the C's?  Between 12-14 mil a year. 

The whole Brown is the odd man seems to be just your bias against a player you don't like for some reason.  I don't even think it is for sure that one of JB / JT / GH gets moved.

Here are the playoff totals for the last two years for Tatum and Brown.  All those points / rebounds and big game production from guys that were 22 and younger.  It is going to take a haul for DA to trade either one.  Brown doing almost identical production to Tatum despite being injured a couple games n the 2018 playoff run and doing it in less minutes overall.  I don't see anyway that that player is 'clearly the odd man out'.

total playoff stats 2018 + 2019
Tatum - games-28, mpg-34.8, points-488, ppg-17.4, reb per game- 5.13, total fga - 371, total fg% - 46%
Brown - games-27, mpg-31.7, points-449, ppg-16.6, reb per game- 5.13, total fga - 353, total fg% - 47%
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 09:37:08 PM by blink »

« Reply #124 on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Warriors had Iggy, Klay and Barnes at one point. The only reason they let go of Barnes was because KD was available, so its no brainer. There's no KD in Brown's free agency. It's not like the trio of Hayward, Brown and Tatum have same skillsets. Different players with different skills regardless of position are never redundant. We have done it with AB, Smart and IT and it have some success to a degree.

You're forgetting that before AB was going to become a FA, Ainge traded him for Marcus Morris.

If Ainge didn't trade AB for Morris, the Celts were going to lose AB for nothing if they don't give him a big contract.

Jaylen Brown is in the same situation this season.
If the Celts don't trade Brown on or before the trade deadline, Celts will have to give Brown big money in the summer because they would lose him and get nothing in return if they refuse to pay up.
That contract Bradley would have signed would have been his third with the team. The Celtics had already signed him to  his 2nd contract after his rookie deal expired.

And, if I remember people were in arms because they thought Danny severely overpaid for AB. Turned out to be a good value contract overall.

I could see this 2nd Brown contract being much the same....thought to be an overpay to start but by the end of the contract, really good value

If Ainge can convince Brown to take a similar contract to Smart then I'm all for it.

No need to trade Brown if he's just going to cost 15m per year.

But posters here are talking of giving Jaylen the max.

The max for Jaylen is 170m for 5 years.
That's what Murray and Ben Simmons got.

« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

I just don't get your logic.  So what if Hayward plays 30 min+ a game?  I mean he should, he is one of our best players.  Jaylen will get 30 min+ a game as well as he is one of our best players.  Neither of those facts have anything to do with who the C's Front Office might deal at the deadline.  With Hayward's injury, less than ideal recovery, less than ideal production makes him just as likely to get moved as anyone.  But more likely DA might not want to trade any of them at the deadline even if he was open to it because he doesn't get the offer he wants.

So in the other thread you are talking about how Jaylen is just a 'complimentary player' and how he will never be a major contributor and won't score enough to be a 1st or 2nd option (which I don't think you can come to that conclusion yet), but either way that is your opinion.  So why would this 'complimentary player' be able to pull 25-27 million?  If he isn't that good, why is anyone going to pay him that salary?  Seriously.  What team out there is going to pay max money to a 'complimentary player'?  Smart to me is the textbook definition of a 'complimentary player' and what did he get from the C's?  Between 12-14 mil a year. 

The whole Brown is the odd man seems to be just your bias against a player you don't like for some reason.  I don't even think it is for sure that one of JB / JT / GH gets moved.

Here are the playoff totals for the last two years for Tatum and Brown.  All those points / rebounds and big game production from guys that were 22 and younger.  It is going to take a haul for DA to trade either one.  Brown doing almost identical production to Tatum despite being injured a couple games n the 2018 playoff run and doing it in less minutes overall.  I don't see anyway that that player is 'clearly the odd man out'.

Tatum - games-28, mpg-34.8, points-488, ppg-17.4, reb per game- 5.13, total fga - 371, total fg% - 46%
Brown - games-27, mpg-31.7, points-449, ppg-16.6, reb per game- 5.13, total fga - 353, total fg% - 47%

If Brown will only cost 12.5m or 15m per year then the Celts should keep him.

But the draft class of 2016 will determine the market price for Jaylen Brown.

Simmons and Murray got 34m per year.
That's the max for the 2016 draft class.

Regarding playing time, if Hayward and Tatum are going to get 30 minutes per game, or more, there will not be enough minutes for Jaylen to be happy.

Remember, Smart and Carsen will also get playing time at SG.
That means less minutes for Brown at the SG spot.

Only time Jaylen got to play a lot was when Hayward was out for the season.
When Hayward returned last season, Jaylen's minutes and shot attempts went down.

But Jaylen has time to prove me wrong.
From October to February, Jaylen can make his case for the Celts to keep him.

Also, you rarely see a player in the NBA, that's not a big man, that made a vast improvement on FT shooting after 3 seasons of shooting below 70%.

A lot of Celtic fans were hoping Rondo's FT shooting would improve during the new Big 3 era.

« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

Nonsense.

Last season we got a preview of how Brown's minutes and shot attempts went down when Hayward returned.

Brown also wasn't playing in the last 5 minutes of the games a lot of times.

If the Celts are going to to with Kemba, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and a big man in the last 5 minutes of the game, doesn't that clearly tell us that Brown is the odd man out?

There's no doubt one big man, Kemba, Hayward, and Tatum will be playing in crunch time.
So it's either Smart or Brown who's going to be the 5th man in crunch time.

But all this can be settled in month.
We'll know for sure how it will play out once the season starts.

« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:51 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

1. Regarding playing time, if Hayward and Tatum are going to get 30 minutes per game, or more, there will not be enough minutes for Jaylen to be happy.

2. Remember, Smart and Carsen will also get playing time at SG.

3. Only time Jaylen got to play a lot was when Hayward was out for the season.
When Hayward returned last season, Jaylen's minutes and shot attempts went down.

As far as I am concerned all of the bolded is pretty much incorrect imo. 

1- more than enough minutes to go around with Brown, Smart, Tatum, Hayward, + whatever bench player backup: Semi, some to Theis, maybe (big maybe Grant Williams). 
144 min total between those 4 + backup 4.  Brown 32 min, Smart 28 min, Tatum 32 min, Hayward 32 min, backup 3-4 +20 min.
Mop up duty occasionally for Langford (behind Brown) + Carson Edwards (behind Kemba, Smart at 1, way behind Brown, Smart, Langford at the 2)   Plus you know we are going to have injuries so those last two will probably play a bit...

2- Smart is going to be playing minutes at the backup point guard.  How many we don't know, but there will be some.  In my count above I was being really generous and giving all his minutes to one of the wing spots.  6'1" rookie Carsen Edwards isn't going to be taking many minutes away from wing player Brown if any. 

3 - Jaylen after his rough start last year was averaging 26 min or so a game on a more veteran, stacked team last year and that was WITH GH back.  GH at the same time averaged, you guessed it 26 MPG.  So that statement that Jaylen's minutes went down because of Hayward just isn't true, just look at the stats.  It was even more not true in the playoffs.  Brown had 29.3 mpg against Indiana, and 31.6 mpg against the Bucks.  Totally NOT what you were describing.  Expect both Brown and Hayward to have their minutes increased.

I would also say that another reason Jaylen might get even more court time this year because (at least this summer for USA basketball) he has shown the ability to guard guys bigger than him consistently.  That makes him even more versatile on def (guarding at least 2s, 3s, and 4s).  Pretty much Brown and Smart are the only guys on the team that can consistently be trusted to do that. 

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:08:35 AM by blink »

« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2019, 06:39:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we took Romeo Langford as insurance against Brown leaving.

« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2019, 07:17:16 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Nah, Romeo is a two-year project.  Which puts him on the timeline with Hayward’s contract.  That’s not why we took him (it was our turn to pick and he was a guy their evaluators liked, no more, no less), but he’s not on Jaylen’s timeline.

« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
When you draft a guy with the same position it could be to replace a leaving guy or something in the future.   So you're telling me that we drafted two guards because Horford left?

« Reply #131 on: September 09, 2019, 08:09:22 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

1. Regarding playing time, if Hayward and Tatum are going to get 30 minutes per game, or more, there will not be enough minutes for Jaylen to be happy.

1- more than enough minutes to go around with Brown, Smart, Tatum, Hayward, + whatever bench player backup: Semi, some to Theis, maybe (big maybe Grant Williams). 
144 min total between those 4 + backup 4.  Brown 32 min, Smart 28 min, Tatum 32 min, Hayward 32 min, backup 3-4 +20 min.
Mop up duty occasionally for Langford (behind Brown) + Carson Edwards (behind Kemba, Smart at 1, way behind Brown, Smart, Langford at the 2)   Plus you know we are going to have injuries so those last two will probably play a bit...

2- Smart is going to be playing minutes at the backup point guard.  How many we don't know, but there will be some.  In my count above I was being really generous and giving all his minutes to one of the wing spots.  6'1" rookie Carsen Edwards isn't going to be taking many minutes away from wing player Brown if any. 

3 - Jaylen after his rough start last year was averaging 26 min or so a game on a more veteran, stacked team last year and that was WITH GH back.  GH at the same time averaged, you guessed it 26 MPG.  So that statement that Jaylen's minutes went down because of Hayward just isn't true, just look at the stats.  It was even more not true in the playoffs.  Brown had 29.3 mpg against Indiana, and 31.6 mpg against the Bucks.  Totally NOT what you were describing.  Expect both Brown and Hayward to have their minutes increased.

I would also say that another reason Jaylen might get even more court time this year because (at least this summer for USA basketball) he has shown the ability to guard guys bigger than him consistently.  That makes him even more versatile on def (guarding at least 2s, 3s, and 4s).  Pretty much Brown and Smart are the only guys on the team that can consistently be trusted to do that.

It's a good thing we don't have to wait long to find out.

The season starts next month.

Also, the reason why Brown played more minutes in the playoffs was due to the fact that Smart was injured and did not play in the Pacers series and only played in 2 games against the Bucks.

And there's no way Brown, Tatum, and Hayward will all get 32 minutes per game this coming season.

Another thing to watch out for is Brown's FT shooting.
If he continues to shoot below 70%, the coach will not play him in crunch time.

« Reply #132 on: September 09, 2019, 08:11:03 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff

Totally agree!

Why else would you use a lottery pick on another SG with star potential if the SG position is set?

« Reply #133 on: September 09, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Bingo!

Hayward is Brad's boy.

It's a good thing we don't have to wait long to find out.

The season starts next month.

Also, the reason why Brown played more minutes in the playoffs was due to the fact that Smart was injured and did not play in the Pacers series and only played in 2 games against the Bucks.

And there's no way Brown, Tatum, and Hayward will all get 32 minutes per game this coming season.

Another thing to watch out for is Brown's FT shooting.
If he continues to shoot below 70%, the coach will not play him in crunch time.
Why? if he shoots over sixty percent that still makes it too costly to play the intentional foul game with him. And he's not going to be the primary ball handler anyway in those situations so its doesn't matter nearly as much.

« Reply #134 on: September 09, 2019, 10:45:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When you draft a guy with the same position it could be to replace a leaving guy or something in the future.   So you're telling me that we drafted two guards because Horford left?
No it's called selecting the best player available. At that level of the draft you are taking the player your evaluators believe will be the overall best player once they mature. The last time Danny didn't do that at this position he drafted Olynyk and admitted he was drafting a needed big who would be just a role player.