Author Topic: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts  (Read 12712 times)

Re: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2020, 12:25:02 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Hard to imagine Hayward walking away from 34M. But then again, if someone offers 25/4? That’s...something to think about for him. How about 27/4 plus the opportunity to be heavily featured and not be the 3rd/4th banana. Def something to consider if I were him.

If Hayward walks, that’s a massive blow to this team. He may be underperforming in relation to his max contract, but imagine if we were just paying him the MLE. Anyone we get will be a definite downgrade, overall skill-wise. I hope the fit will be better though

Would the Celtics effectively pay him 3 years/66M after the coming year? I think that is quite likely, and I would be very happy with that.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2020, 12:32:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

It absolutely kills some Boston sports fans to hear Hayward has max potential still. 17.5/6.5 and 4.5 with his percentages way down the pecking order and they don’t see that as max talent. Riiiight.

#'s are there but durability isn't. He's played in 50% of our games as a Celtic, is that worth max potential? If he's not there when we need him most what good is he?

There has been a lot of questioning "would we have beat ... if Hayward was healthy" the fact we ask that time and time again to me is the problem with Hayward.
   Yup. All correct. I just wish people in Boston could admit what’s their when he’s been healthy. It’s like trying to talk politics with people that dislike Hayward. Like “ omg I’m not disagreeing with ya ( to my buddy) he HAS NOT been available. I’m just simply stating what I think he is when healthy. “  Crickets. It’s a conversation ender. There’s such dislike for him people won’t admit that as if the admission from them means he stays. It won’t matter. Danny isn’t listening to any of us.  It’s mind boggling.

I don't think anybody really dislikes Hayward - your post is a bit inflammatory and perhaps you are trying to evoke a strong reaction from the hypothetical other side. We all acknowledge that Hayward fits perfectly in our system and has proven he doesn't mind taking a back seat/filling in the gaps. We all realize that it has to have been incredibly frustrating for him to come to a situation where he should be competing for championships, but instead has been rehabbing for much of his time here.

From the perspective of Cs fans, I think most could go either way because while we realize he is a very good player, he has seemingly been cursed from the very beginning with this franchise. Committing long term money to him at a lower AAV could work out very well, but it could also be a disaster.

Per your comments about Ray and Al - Ray Allen left a championship core for less money because he didn't like management (thus, upsetting his teammates); he then hit the shot that essentially won MIA/Lebron a Title. With Al, I think most here believe that we dodged a bullet. If he had gone to any team other than the Sixers or Lakers, we would be wishing him well. Since he went to our rival, of course we are going to root against him; but I think people generally appreciate what he gave to this franchise and will think fondly of him when he has moved on.
except Ray Allen didn't leave a championship core.  That is the biggest problem I have with all the Ray Allen hate.  Boston was done as a legit contender.  It was over.  The 11/12 season was the last hurrah and the only reason the Miami series was close at all because Bosh only played in the final 3 games.  Once Bosh came back (and was mostly himself) that series was over.  And Boston only made it to Miami because Rose blew out his knee against the Sixers allowing the 8th seeded Sixers to make the 2nd round (and Boston barely beat them going 7).  Boston wasn't a championship core at that point in time.  I mean they won 41 games and lost to the Knicks in the 1st round the next year.  Ray Allen didn't make that kind of difference.  The team just wasn't a contender when Allen left.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 12:41:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hayward not picking up his option would be silly to me. He’s not going to make 34 mil this year anywhere else. Regardless of how well or poorly he plays this season, I don’t see him signing less than a 4yr/80 anywhere. A team will give him that even if he’s below average this year.

Hayward looking around isn’t surprising. He may be in the mind set of I just need to move on from Boston. I can’t imagine the pressure he is feeling after his unfortunate string of injuries have derailed his Boston tenure.

However, Hayward opting out and signing elsewhere is the absolute worst case scenario for Boston. We lose a player with max talent potential (key word potential), we get no assets in return, and it doesn’t help our cap situation in any way.

It absolutely kills some Boston sports fans to hear Hayward has max potential still. 17.5/6.5 and 4.5 with his percentages way down the pecking order and they don’t see that as max talent. Riiiight.

#'s are there but durability isn't. He's played in 50% of our games as a Celtic, is that worth max potential? If he's not there when we need him most what good is he?

There has been a lot of questioning "would we have beat ... if Hayward was healthy" the fact we ask that time and time again to me is the problem with Hayward.
   Yup. All correct. I just wish people in Boston could admit what’s their when he’s been healthy. It’s like trying to talk politics with people that dislike Hayward. Like “ omg I’m not disagreeing with ya ( to my buddy) he HAS NOT been available. I’m just simply stating what I think he is when healthy. “  Crickets. It’s a conversation ender. There’s such dislike for him people won’t admit that as if the admission from them means he stays. It won’t matter. Danny isn’t listening to any of us.  It’s mind boggling.

I don't think anybody really dislikes Hayward - your post is a bit inflammatory and perhaps you are trying to evoke a strong reaction from the hypothetical other side. We all acknowledge that Hayward fits perfectly in our system and has proven he doesn't mind taking a back seat/filling in the gaps. We all realize that it has to have been incredibly frustrating for him to come to a situation where he should be competing for championships, but instead has been rehabbing for much of his time here.

From the perspective of Cs fans, I think most could go either way because while we realize he is a very good player, he has seemingly been cursed from the very beginning with this franchise. Committing long term money to him at a lower AAV could work out very well, but it could also be a disaster.

As for johnboy's comments about Ray and Al - Ray Allen left a championship core for less money because he didn't like management (thus, upsetting his teammates); he then hit the shot that essentially won MIA/Lebron a Title. With Al, I think most here believe that we dodged a bullet. If he had gone to any team other than the Sixers or Lakers, we would be wishing him well. Since he went to our rival, of course we are going to root against him; but I think people generally appreciate what he gave to this franchise and will think fondly of him when he has moved on.
except Ray Allen didn't leave a championship core.  That is the biggest problem I have with all the Ray Allen hate.  Boston was done as a legit contender.  It was over.  The 11/12 season was the last hurrah and the only reason the Miami series was close at all because Bosh only played in the final 3 games.  Once Bosh came back (and was mostly himself) that series was over.  And Boston only made it to Miami because Rose blew out his knee against the Sixers allowing the 8th seeded Sixers to make the 2nd round (and Boston barely beat them going 7).  Boston wasn't a championship core at that point in time.  I mean they won 41 games and lost to the Knicks in the 1st round the next year.  Ray Allen didn't make that kind of difference.  The team just wasn't a contender when Allen left.

I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a Ray Allen thread and it's why I didn't extrapolate on that point. Ray Allen had won a championship with teammates who supported him for years - he then took half as much money to jump on the Lebron train and join the 'enemy.' To make matters worse, it actually worked out extremely well for him and he was a major cog in making that championship happen. The other Cs went down with the ship (until Danny traded them to a seemingly better situation) while Ray took the first lifeline given to him, 'ditching' his teammates.

I don't hate Ray Allen and time does heal all wounds, but the difference between him leaving and guys like Al or Hayward leaving is enormously different. I was just trying to explain that difference to johnboy since he brought it up. It was by far the least important part of my post, though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 07:33:21 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2020, 01:00:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Per your comments about Ray and Al - Ray Allen left a championship core for less money because he didn't like management (thus, upsetting his teammates); he then hit the shot that essentially won MIA/Lebron a Title. With Al, I think most here believe that we dodged a bullet. If he had gone to any team other than the Sixers or Lakers, we would be wishing him well. Since he went to our rival, of course we are going to root against him; but I think people generally appreciate what he gave to this franchise and will think fondly of him when he has moved on.

I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a Ray Allen thread and it's why I didn't extrapolate on that point. Ray Allen had won a championship with teammates who supported him for years - he then took half as much money to jump on the Lebron train and join the 'enemy.' To make matters worse, it actually worked out extremely well for him and he was a major cog in making that championship happen. The other Cs went down with the ship (until Danny traded them to a seemingly better situation) while Ray took the first lifeline given to him, 'ditching' his teammates.

I don't hate Ray Allen and time does heal all wounds, but the difference between him leaving and guys like Al or Hayward leaving is enormously different. I was just trying to explain that difference to dannyboy since he brought it up. It was by far the least important part of my post, though.
Except Ray Allen was traded to Memphis.  He was actually told that before Memphis backed out after the deal had been agreed upon.  Was Al Horford traded?  Was Gordon Hayward?  The Celtics did Allen wrong (trading him, putting off his extension talks and then low balling him, benching him, etc.) and then were all of a sudden offended the guy they had been slighting decided to leave.  I get why KG or PP might have been upset by Ray leaving, but by all accounts they weren't even close (mostly because of Ray it seems), but it just never made any sense why the fans were upset by it.  The C's did Ray wrong so he left.  Happens all of the time in all walks of life.  Your employer screws you, why stick around.  That isn't the situation with Horford, who still wanted huge dollars even though he wasn't a huge dollar player, or Hayward who is still in his "prime" though has been a walking injury.  The team treated them both very well during their time here.  The same can't be said of Allen. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
A few things that people must realize:

1- Al Horford leaving shows that Hayward or anyone else can leave us for nothing. This is business, no one owes the Celtics loyalty.

2- DA is not afraid to trade ANYBODY Isiah Thomas was traded for an upgrade. Kemba can be traded for one to.

3- Isiah Thomas + Crowder + draft pick is not a fair value trade for Kyrie Irving. This is just one example of unbalanced Celtic trades I’m sure you all know some more, but this is good enough.

4- Kemba coming here was on NOBODIES radar. It was a complete shock so everyone just like everything else I listed.

I for one love trade ideas and different scenarios, but one thing i know for sure is the Celtics will not get another ring as long as Kemba is their PG.

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2020, 02:37:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

1- Al Horford leaving shows that Hayward or anyone else can leave us for nothing. This is business, no one owes the Celtics loyalty.

2- DA is not afraid to trade ANYBODY Isiah Thomas was traded for an upgrade. Kemba can be traded for one to.

3- Isiah Thomas + Crowder + draft pick is not a fair value trade for Kyrie Irving. This is just one example of unbalanced Celtic trades I’m sure you all know some more, but this is good enough.

4- Kemba coming here was on NOBODIES radar. It was a complete shock so everyone just like everything else I listed.

I for one love trade ideas and different scenarios, but one thing i know for sure is the Celtics will not get another ring as long as Kemba is their PG.

I love Kemba sooo much for the change this past year. It’s his awesome personality I believe that would shame other people into acting like jerks. I think Kemba May be that great a guy. But from hoop standpoint I agree that it’s very hard to see a title with Kemba. But for me ,it’s the knee . I have way less faith in Kemba’s knee than Hayward turning another ankle.

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2020, 02:41:59 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I feel the same way.

I think Danny signed Kemba because he was the biggest name available at the time and he needed to maintain asset control/save face over the whole Kyrie fiasco.

Kemba presented Danny with the opportunity to retain an asset.

I think the team will be alot better (believe it or not) with a long, switchable defender at the pg spot.
A sort of a 3D type who can switch on Defense.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I feel the same way.

I think Danny signed Kemba because he was the biggest name available at the time and he needed to maintain asset control/save face over the whole Kyrie fiasco.

I think the team will be alot better (believe it or not) with a long, switchable defender at the pg spot.

If we kept Rozier instead I think we wouldn’t have needed to trade Baynes. Wonder how the year would have turned out?

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I feel the same way.

If we kept Rozier instead I think we wouldn’t have needed to trade Baynes. Wonder how the year would have turned out?

I dont know if Baynes was better than Theis this past season. Theis was really really good, he cannot maintain but he was real good.

And I also think Rozier had to go regardless.

Would have loved a shot at Brogdon
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I feel the same way.

When Kemba is on he demoralizes the other team.  I think we won a bunch more regular season games with Kemba than we would have with Rozier.  With Kemba struggling in the playoffs, hindsight says we may have been better with Rozier for the defense.  He's also had some big playoff games in general.  In any case, I'll be happy to give a healthy Kemba another shot next post season.  He just has to slow his game down a bit and take less difficult shots (impossible drives and rushed threes at times).

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

I feel the same way.

I dont know if Baynes was better than Theis this past season. Theis was really really good, he cannot maintain but he was real good.

And I also think Rozier had to go regardless.

Would have loved a shot at Brogdon

No need to have dumped Theis for Baynes. Both would have been our 5 plan.  Baynes obviously better able to defend Embiid and Bam than Theis.

Rozier was a RFA, no? So we could have matched any offer. Plus by doing a sign and trade, he got more than the market otherwise dictated.

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
I love Kemba, but feel that the signing, in retrospect, was somewhat of a panic move by Danny to replace Kyrie.  It's a contract that will haunt him far more than Hayward's.

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2020, 03:26:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The other factor is Robyn Hayward

There has been a few stupid fans who harrassed her on social media.   And the two clowns Felger and Mazz also got on her nerves last year

She might be in favor of leaving, if there is an option

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2020, 03:28:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I love Kemba, but feel that the signing, in retrospect, was somewhat of a panic move by Danny to replace Kyrie.  It's a contract that will haunt him far more than Hayward's.

I agree.  And then panic part 2 in signing Kanter, who is foreign in Brad Stevens system

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This board is getting wild in the weeks following the end of the season.

We're now at "Danny Ainge makes panic moves."

Look there's a lot of words you can use to characterize Danny and his team building strategies.  I've never once gotten the sense that "panic" was a part of it.

Panic would have been signing Terry Rozier to a long term deal.  Instead, Danny worked out a sign and trade with Charlotte to hook the Celts up with a 29 year old All-NBA scoring guard to replace Kyrie. 

The Celts lost Kyrie Irving and replaced him with a comparable type of player minus the toxic personality.  Getting Kemba was a coup.  The Celts were dealing with the loss of Horford, who was the fulcrum of the team on both ends of the floor.  Having to navigate that and also have to retool the offense without having a decent lead offensive guard (the team's offense has been based around a lead scoring guard since 2015) would have been a huge challenge, especially for such a young team.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:32:43 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain