Author Topic: Heat (4-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21  (Read 14762 times)

Re: Heat (4-4) at Celtics (7-3) Game #11 1/10/21
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2021, 05:00:30 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Not sure about all this Covid protocol smokescreen...I'm sure game is canceled bc Brad had already decided Nesmith would not play so we didnt have enuff players 

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I gotta admit, I was kind of looking forward to seeing what the available Celtics players could do.  Was anticipating some absurdity and this becoming a "remember when" game in Celtics lore.
Me too. I love getting to see what guys can do with more minutes / opportunity.

« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2021, 05:04:26 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
It's kinda absurd how it went though. The Celtics have to close their practice facility and have only the minimum 8 consisting of their D-league players and summer league team available? No problem. The Heat suddenly have one positive test? Cancel the game.

Eh I don't really think that's the issue. The tweet says Miami doesn't even have the 8 players while seemingly the Celtics did. So that led to the decision. Don't think it's the NBA "favoring" a certain team, though yes at this point with all the teams reporting outbreaks and being put on health + safety protocols, they'll need to do something.

Oh I know they are not favoring a particular team, just saying the Celtics were giving constant updates and then suddenly Miami out of nowhere says we don't have 8 guys when they all played last night.

I'd say the logical reason would be that someone had an unfavorable result after being tested today, and they determined that 8 players out of the total 17 on the roster were close contacts, meaning they would all have to enter quarantine, which would mean the Heat would have had 7 players available. It's not just someone who tested positive, it's who was in close contact with them too.   :angel:

I'm expecting this to keep happening, this is the America that we all have to live in right now. I've had to send staff home when they test positive for Covid and then I have to send home close contacts as well until they can produce a negative test to allow them to go back to work. Totally sucks but this is our Covid reality  :-[ It would have been nice to see what some of the less used players could have done with some minutes but at least we get to play the game again at some point.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2021, 05:14:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's kinda absurd how it went though. The Celtics have to close their practice facility and have only the minimum 8 consisting of their D-league players and summer league team available? No problem. The Heat suddenly have one positive test? Cancel the game.

Eh I don't really think that's the issue. The tweet says Miami doesn't even have the 8 players while seemingly the Celtics did. So that led to the decision. Don't think it's the NBA "favoring" a certain team, though yes at this point with all the teams reporting outbreaks and being put on health + safety protocols, they'll need to do something.

Oh I know they are not favoring a particular team, just saying the Celtics were giving constant updates and then suddenly Miami out of nowhere says we don't have 8 guys when they all played last night.

I'd say the logical reason would be that someone had an unfavorable result after being tested today, and they determined that 8 players out of the total 17 on the roster were close contacts, meaning they would all have to enter quarantine, which would mean the Heat would have had 7 players available. It's not just someone who tested positive, it's who was in close contact with them too.   :angel:

I'm expecting this to keep happening, this is the America that we all have to live in right now. I've had to send staff home when they test positive for Covid and then I have to send home close contacts as well until they can produce a negative test to allow them to go back to work. Totally sucks but this is our Covid reality  :-[ It would have been nice to see what some of the less used players could have done with some minutes but at least we get to play the game again at some point.
But if all you are watching are players from both teams that never see playing time, are you really watching NBA basketball? Those games count? Seems to me the integrity of the game is compromised a bit if all you are doing is watching two way players and end of bench guys playing 40 minutes while doing everything they can not to foul and get fouled out.

« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2021, 05:49:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Wanted to see extended minutes for Tacko snd Nesmith. Drat.

« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2021, 06:26:18 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
I gotta admit, I was kind of looking forward to seeing what the available Celtics players could do.  Was anticipating some absurdity and this becoming a "remember when" game in Celtics lore.

Same. Guys would be allowed to play through mistakes without much worry. I was really curious to see how many minutes Taco is serviceable before he gasses out .
ok fine

« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2021, 06:37:49 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Same. Guys would be allowed to play through mistakes without much worry. I was really curious to see how many minutes Taco is serviceable before he gasses out .

Same here. This could have been the night that Nesmith and Edwards looked like Thompson and Curry. Oh well.

« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2021, 07:11:48 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I posted this on another site, but seems to be relevant here. I do have to say that it would have at least been interesting to see the guys go out and give it a shot tonight. Definitely better safe than sorry, though. Anyway:

NBA players all just need to be vaccinated as the product is going down the toilet fast. The Lakers got a free Title last year with Lebron and company getting 4 months off after a grueling season to prepare for the playoffs. We can't have another compromised season.

I know the optics would be bad, but the industry is worth billions and billions of dollars and we're talking like 400-500 tests. Have the owners give a sizable donation to local hospitals or something and at least let's get the league back to a reasonable competitve balance.

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2021, 07:18:59 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I posted this on another site, but seems to be relevant here. I do have to say that it would have at least been interesting to see the guys go out and give it a shot tonight. Definitely better safe than sorry, though. Anyway:

NBA players all just need to be vaccinated as the product is going down the toilet fast. The Lakers got a free Title last year with Lebron and company getting 4 months off after a grueling season to prepare for the playoffs. We can't have another compromised season.

I know the optics would be bad, but the industry is worth billions and billions of dollars and we're talking like 400-500 tests. Have the owners give a sizable donation to local hospitals or something and at least let's get the league back to a reasonable competitve balance.
It would be a PR nightmare. The league spent the last six months promoting social equality and brought up that a major reason for social inequality is wealth inequality.

Paying to jump the line and get vaccinations would only show that they are hypocrites as they use their wealth to assure they continue to get paid huge money. It goes against a ton of stuff they were fighting for during these last 6 months.

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2021, 07:51:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we kinda joked about this scenario some last season before nba shutdown .   And...we were basically right ,  it could get so bad can't  even play if they were willing to try.

Not worth getting it , passing it to little kids who mostly remain unsystematic , that hug all their aunts , uncles , grandparents , and all the rest and wind them up in the ICU .

I liked the bubble , but i didn't have to live it either.  So im not expecting the players to do again.   Getting vaccines before 75 year olds would not be the news headlines most socially conscious players would care to have thrown back in their face in public.

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2021, 09:34:19 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It would be a PR nightmare. The league spent the last six months promoting social equality and brought up that a major reason for social inequality is wealth inequality.

Paying to jump the line and get vaccinations would only show that they are hypocrites as they use their wealth to assure they continue to get paid huge money. It goes against a ton of stuff they were fighting for during these last 6 months.

I totally agree; but it's either get all players vaccinated, make everybody wear masks, or go back to the bubble. I acknowledged in my post that the optics would be terrible, but I'm not sure what option there really is. These guys are essentially super-spreaders playing a close-up maskless sport and going back to their families w/o masks, as well. They aren't particularly high risk, but it could be argued that their high risk sport could be doing plenty of damage to those not even playing.

A few hundred vaccinations isn't going to make a dent and the money donated could go to people directly affected or even to helping manufacture more doses. There is no way to make this perfect, but what they are doing clearly isn't working.

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This thread will die on the vine I guess....

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2021, 09:58:12 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Correct.

What's wrong with instituting another bubble for them back in Orlando?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline Uncle_Stingfinger

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
ugh.  smart runners..  dude footwork is still a mess.