Author Topic: Should we go after Marc Gasol?  (Read 5009 times)

Re: Should we go after Marc Gasol?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
You can't sign and trade Rozier until the off season. 

Smart, Baynes, Yabu, MEM 1st, BOS 1st for Gasol

That seems like a reasonable enough trade and it allows them to fully tank in a season or two and keep their pick doing it.

Why 2 picks? Do you think there will be that much interest/value for a Center that turns 34 this month?
Yeah I think Gasol will have a lot of interest.  He is still basically averaging 15.5/8.5/4.5, playing solid defense, and hitting 36% from 3.  The only reason interest would be limited in any real way is his big contract that is hard to match, but I still suspect a number of teams would be interested and drive his price up because I think he could be a real difference maker on a lot teams.

Describe which team would be offering him anything of value, though? Lakers, maybe? The way I see it, the teams that have trade assets are either not in position to make a title run and therefore don't need a 34 year old (The bulk), or don't need a center (Sixers, Nuggets, etc).

I don't think the price for him is going to be as high as you think. They'll probably be content getting expiring contracts + 1st rounder + a couple 2nd rounders.

Smart is an actual quality player. He's over-performing his contract. I don't think we need to include the memphis pick to get Gasol.
Rockets (especially with Capela missing time), Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, etc.  There are a lot of teams out there where Gasol could actually matter.  I mean imagine the Bucks with Gasol starting instead of Lopez and with George Hill's contract they can pretty easily make the salaries work.  Something like Hill, Maker, DiVincenzo, and a couple of 1st's.  How much better are the Bucks in that scenario (just as an example)?

Nobody is going to offer super high value players or 1st's, but there will be plenty of offers for someone the caliber of Gasol, which will drive his price up enough such that Boston might very well have to give up the Memphis pick to get him.

And if that happens, Boston should rightfully walk away.

I'm not trading Smart though. He is not easily replaceable. I take Smart over Hayward right now since Hayward directly matches salaries.
All fair points, but are you so certain that a 2021 pick from Memphis is going to be any good?  I'd rather have Gasol than Smart and am fine giving up some future picks to make it happen as I think Gasol would make Boston the clear favorites in the East and would actually make a Golden State series interesting, even without Smart.  I think a team starting Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, Gasol with Rozier, Brown, and Morris as the main bench (you could swap Brown and Hayward if you wanted) would give Golden State all sorts of problems.  That is a team that can't easily be defended and has enough size and length defensively to cause their shooters issues.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I dont see the price being driven up.

1.) not many teams have young players, expirings, or picks they want to trade for Gasol.
   ~ Even the example of Bucks wont work because they dont have multiple firsts. 2019 is protected and they dont have their 2021.

2.) Teams will save cap space for the possibility of going after Leonard, Durant, Butler, Klay, Kemba, even maybe kyrie

3.) Teams might be waiting for Davis to demand a trade and save ammo for him, but if done right I think Boston could trade for both

I still think Smart, rozier, Baynes and yabu for gasol is good.
Grizz can experiment with rozier smart and jakson and if its a good fit resign rozier and have their replacement for Conley. Plus yabu is basically a late 1st round pick in potential anyways. And Baynes is a solid role player off Bench they could keep or trade later on bc of his salary

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 02:47:59 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

1.) not many teams have young players, expirings, or picks they want to trade for Gasol.
   ~ Even the example of Bucks wont work because they dont have multiple firsts. 2019 is protected and they dont have their 2021.

2.) Teams will save cap space for the possibility of going after Leonard, Durant, Butler, Klay, Kemba, even maybe kyrie

3.) Teams might be waiting for Davis to demand a trade and save ammo for him, but if done right I think Boston could trade for both

Grizz can experiment with rozier smart and jakson and if its a good fit resign rozier and have their replacement for Conley. Plus yabu is basically a late 1st round pick in potential anyways. And Baynes is a solid role player off Bench they could keep or trade later on bc of his salary

I would have trouble parting ways with both of our viable backup PGs in one fell swoop. given Kyrie's checkered injury history and impending free agency (I expect him to resign, but JUST SAYIN'...)
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 02:54:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Which contracts are you sending out to make the money work?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

I would have trouble parting ways with both of our viable backup PGs in one fell swoop. given Kyrie's checkered injury history and impending free agency (I expect him to resign, but JUST SAYIN'...)
I think we can find a backup for this year..... canaan, lawson, brooks, larkin might work Buyouts like Linn would be great.

AND if Kyrie doesnt sign we will still need a PG bc I dont believe in Rozier or Smart truly carrying us....but if kyrie leaves maybe we go after  someone like Kemba?

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trading for gasol was one of the ideas I brought up in the most recent episode of my podcast.  Then a day later this news comes out.

It could make sense.  Smart’s salary would need to be included. 

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Smart, Baynes, and Yabu works on the trade machine.  Add in some picks and that probably gets it done.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It could make sense.  Smart’s salary would need to be included.

Sounds good. Smart would be a much-needed fan favorite there

Smart, Baynes, and Yabu works on the trade machine.  Add in some picks and that probably gets it done.

Makes sense.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Smart, Baynes, Yabu ... I guess. 

I don't know why Memphis would bother.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

give them back their pick.  that was basically my proposal earlier in the thread.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
yes

where do i sign  :D

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 04:34:02 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm sorry, but I think it would be insane to trade Smart for a center who becomes 34 in two weeks. Gasol is having an excellent season, but that's partly due to the system Memphis plays.

I would give up Hayward/Horford + '19 Clippers/Boston 1st, but nothing more. How does Gasol fit in our future plans? Answer: he doesn't.

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 04:43:53 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If you trade Smart you'll tear the heart right out of this team. That may be the craziest comment I've heard since some folks around here wanted to keep IT over Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 05:12:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

give them back their pick.  that was basically my proposal earlier in the thread.

They're gonna trade the most beloved player in franchise history for Marcus smart and a late lottery pick?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 05:15:14 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
You can't sign and trade Rozier until the off season. 

Smart, Baynes, Yabu, MEM 1st, BOS 1st for Gasol

That seems like a reasonable enough trade and it allows them to fully tank in a season or two and keep their pick doing it.

Why 2 picks? Do you think there will be that much interest/value for a Center that turns 34 this month?
Yeah I think Gasol will have a lot of interest.  He is still basically averaging 15.5/8.5/4.5, playing solid defense, and hitting 36% from 3.  The only reason interest would be limited in any real way is his big contract that is hard to match, but I still suspect a number of teams would be interested and drive his price up because I think he could be a real difference maker on a lot teams.

Describe which team would be offering him anything of value, though? Lakers, maybe? The way I see it, the teams that have trade assets are either not in position to make a title run and therefore don't need a 34 year old (The bulk), or don't need a center (Sixers, Nuggets, etc).

I don't think the price for him is going to be as high as you think. They'll probably be content getting expiring contracts + 1st rounder + a couple 2nd rounders.

Smart is an actual quality player. He's over-performing his contract. I don't think we need to include the memphis pick to get Gasol.
Rockets (especially with Capela missing time), Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, etc.  There are a lot of teams out there where Gasol could actually matter.  I mean imagine the Bucks with Gasol starting instead of Lopez and with George Hill's contract they can pretty easily make the salaries work.  Something like Hill, Maker, DiVincenzo, and a couple of 1st's.  How much better are the Bucks in that scenario (just as an example)?

Nobody is going to offer super high value players or 1st's, but there will be plenty of offers for someone the caliber of Gasol, which will drive his price up enough such that Boston might very well have to give up the Memphis pick to get him.
You're seriously overvaluing the value and market for Gasol a 34 year old center with a 25M+ player option and undervaluing the value of the Memphis pick which could very well rollover to be an unprotected 2021 pick.

For the Sixers and Lakers, they wouldn't trade for Gasol because he'll probably pickup his option which will kill their cap space.  The Blazers already have Nurkic who is playing as well as Gasol and is younger and on a much better contract.  The Pelicans focus should be on retaining AD and trading for Gasol isn't going to move the needle on that enough to give up any good assets.  Swapping Gasol brothers would help the Spurs but they don't have any good assets to offer.  What are the Raptors going to give up?  Valanciunus and a late 1st? 
I think someone else mentioned the Bucks don't have any 1st to give up for a few years. 

Even without picks, I prefer Smart and Baynes to Gasol with the 25M+ option.  I'm not a big Smart fan but I think Smart would make more of a difference in the playoffs especially against GSW.