Author Topic: Should we go after Marc Gasol?  (Read 5015 times)

Should we go after Marc Gasol?
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:25:06 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
According to Marc Stein of The New York Times (Twitter link), there’s a growing belief around the NBA that Marc Gasol will opt for free agency this summer, rather than exercising his $25.6MM player option. A $25.6MM salary will be hard to replicate for a 34-year-old free agent, so Gasol shouldn’t be considered a lock to opt out. Still, Stein wonders if the Grizzlies could explore trading Gasol at the deadline rather than risk losing him for nothing in the offseason.

I mean a front court of Gasol/Horford would be nice. This is assuming that the Grizzlies would want to take on Hayward or maybe S&T Rozier.

Plus that would be a pretty nice back court, unless Grizzlies would want Horford+something else.

Think Gasol has aged, but his height/great defensive instincts would still be nice to have on this team.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Should we go after Marc Gasol?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 11:44:22 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Shoot, I didnt see this post. I had been working on mine for about an hour in between teaching.

But I posted an idea here...maybe these can be merged???

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98689.msg2606472#new

1.)trade smart, Baynes, rozier, Yabu for Gasol.

~Why for memphis: gives you a replacement for conley(who is traded to someone else) plus a starting SG in Smart to put with Jaren Jackson. Plus yabu has some potential.

For BOS: gets you a rebounding big that can also shoot the 3. Yes he is older and aging quickly but contract only has 2 years left on it.

2018/2019 Lineup: Irving,Brown,Tatum, Horford, Gasol
-with Morris and Hayward off the bench. pick up a buyout PG to back up Irving altho I like wanamaker

2.) PLUS we can still trade for Davis in offseason.
Horford, Tatum, plus picks  for Davis and E.Moore

2019/2020 Lineup:
Irving,Brown, Hayward, Davis, Gasol
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:17:24 PM by Humble G »

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
yessssssss
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:14:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
You can't sign and trade Rozier until the off season. 

Smart, Baynes, Yabu, MEM 1st, BOS 1st for Gasol

That seems like a reasonable enough trade and it allows them to fully tank in a season or two and keep their pick doing it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:16:17 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton

That seems like a reasonable enough trade and it allows them to fully tank in a season or two and keep their pick doing it.

Why 2 picks? Do you think there will be that much interest/value for a Center that turns 34 this month?

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Why 2 picks? Do you think there will be that much interest/value for a Center that turns 34 this month?
Yeah I think Gasol will have a lot of interest.  He is still basically averaging 15.5/8.5/4.5, playing solid defense, and hitting 36% from 3.  The only reason interest would be limited in any real way is his big contract that is hard to match, but I still suspect a number of teams would be interested and drive his price up because I think he could be a real difference maker on a lot teams.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Shoot, I didnt see this post. I had been working on mine for about an hour in between teaching.

~Why for memphis: gives you a replacement for conley(who is traded to someone else) plus a starting SG in Smart to put with Jaren Jackson. Plus yabu has some potential.

For BOS: gets you a rebounding big that can also shoot the 3. Yes he is older and aging quickly but contract only has 2 years left on it.

-with Morris and Hayward off the bench. pick up a buyout PG to back up Irving altho I like wanamaker

2019/2020 Lineup:

Can you imagine Memphis next year with no Conley or Gasol? If the pick doesn't convey this year, it's only protected 1-6 next year. Then, unprotected in 2021? #thenewbrooklyn #wecandream

Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Yeah I think Gasol will have a lot of interest.  He is still basically averaging 15.5/8.5/4.5, playing solid defense, and hitting 36% from 3.  The only reason interest would be limited in any real way is his big contract that is hard to match, but I still suspect a number of teams would be interested and drive his price up because I think he could be a real difference maker on a lot teams.

Describe which team would be offering him anything of value, though? Lakers, maybe? The way I see it, the teams that have trade assets are either not in position to make a title run and therefore don't need a 34 year old (The bulk), or don't need a center (Sixers, Nuggets, etc).

I don't think the price for him is going to be as high as you think. They'll probably be content getting expiring contracts + 1st rounder + a couple 2nd rounders.

Smart is an actual quality player in that he's over-performing his contract. I don't think we need to include the Memphis pick to get Gasol if you're sending Smart..

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:59:32 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton

2019/2020 Lineup:

Can you imagine Memphis next year with no Conley or Gasol? If the pick doesn't convey this year, it's only protected 1-6 next year. Then, unprotected in 2021? #thenewbrooklyn #wecandream

Mike

BUT......we are hopefully trading the pick for Davis.   8)

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Describe which team would be offering him anything of value, though? Lakers, maybe? The way I see it, the teams that have trade assets are either not in position to make a title run and therefore don't need a 34 year old (The bulk), or don't need a center (Sixers, Nuggets, etc).

I don't think the price for him is going to be as high as you think. They'll probably be content getting expiring contracts + 1st rounder + a couple 2nd rounders.

Smart is an actual quality player. He's over-performing his contract. I don't think we need to include the memphis pick to get Gasol.
Rockets (especially with Capela missing time), Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, etc.  There are a lot of teams out there where Gasol could actually matter.  I mean imagine the Bucks with Gasol starting instead of Lopez and with George Hill's contract they can pretty easily make the salaries work.  Something like Hill, Maker, DiVincenzo, and a couple of 1st's.  How much better are the Bucks in that scenario (just as an example)?

Nobody is going to offer super high value players or 1st's, but there will be plenty of offers for someone the caliber of Gasol, which will drive his price up enough such that Boston might very well have to give up the Memphis pick to get him. 

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:08:43 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

Smart is an actual quality player. He's over-performing his contract. I don't think we need to include the memphis pick to get Gasol.
Rockets (especially with Capela missing time), Lakers, Spurs, Blazers, Pelicans, Raptors, Sixers, Bucks, etc.  There are a lot of teams out there where Gasol could actually matter.  I mean imagine the Bucks with Gasol starting instead of Lopez and with George Hill's contract they can pretty easily make the salaries work.  Something like Hill, Maker, DiVincenzo, and a couple of 1st's.  How much better are the Bucks in that scenario (just as an example)?

Nobody is going to offer super high value players or 1st's, but there will be plenty of offers for someone the caliber of Gasol, which will drive his price up enough such that Boston might very well have to give up the Memphis pick to get him.

The Memphis pick is projected 8th or 9th right now. Where are all of those teams going to find a comparable asset? Smart + 8th pick for Gasol is way too much for a 1-2 year rental. Like I said, the Sixers and the Lakers have that type of asset, but Sixers don't need a center. I think it's exactly LA as our competition for him, and I think that they are not going to trade ANYTHING.  They're just doing FA.

Let me put this another way: would you rather have Smart locked in on a cheap 4 year deal or the 28th pick that the Bucks will be sending them? And even if you say the 28th pick, wouldn't you agree that it's close enough that requiring the Memphis pick to win the bidding is absurd?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 01:16:04 PM by Erik »

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 01:31:42 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
No, we should not go after Gasol.  Going after Gasol is pure desperation.  We'll pay more for an expiring 34 year old center than he is worth, and it is only a rental.  Just as we figured out before, it doesn't make reasonable sense.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

2019/2020 Lineup:

Mike

BUT......we are hopefully trading the pick for Davis.   8)

And a better pick makes that trade more likely! ;)

Mike

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

And if that happens, Boston should rightfully walk away.

I'm not trading Smart though. He is not easily replaceable. I take Smart over Hayward right now since Hayward directly matches salaries.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 01:52:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The Memphis pick is projected 8th or 9th right now. Where are all of those teams going to find a comparable asset? Smart + 8th pick for Gasol is way too much for a 1-2 year rental. Like I said, the Sixers and the Lakers have that type of asset, but Sixers don't need a center. I think it's exactly LA as our competition for him, and I think that they are not going to trade ANYTHING.  They're just doing FA.

Let me put this another way: would you rather have Smart locked in on a cheap 4 year deal or the 28th pick that the Bucks will be sending them? And even if you say the 28th pick, wouldn't you agree that it's close enough that requiring the Memphis pick to win the bidding is absurd?
I don't know that Smart has all that much value to a team like the Grizzlies in that type of trade, especially with all of that long term salary.  I am fully aware that Smart's contract is good value, but rebuilding teams like to clear salary not add to it with role players locked up long term.  Picks provide far more options, especially ones a few years out (like the could get a 2019 and 2021 pick for example).  the 2019 pick might not have a ton of value, but a 2021 1st might as you never know what a team will look like a couple of years out. 

That of course brings us to their own pick.  If they move Gasol that pick isn't conveying this year and if they really commit to the tank it won't convey next year either.  Maybe in 2021 when it actually conveys it is a great pick or maybe Memphis drafts correctly, sells off assets correctly, and the pick is a late lottery pick or even mid-1st rounder.  Look at the Kings, many on this board believed absolutely Boston was getting a top 5 pick, but that doesn't look all that likely right now and the Kings are actually talking about going for the playoffs (by adding players like Kanter).  You just never know what a future pick will look like and what the value of that pick might be.