Author Topic: Josh Smith "benched"?  (Read 5049 times)

Re: Josh Smith "benched"?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I loved the idea of this experiment and am sad if it will not work.

I was intrigued, but then they also added Brandon Jennings. Not enough basketball to go around. I don't think you can get enough touches for everyone.

That I definitely agree with.

Not a Jennings fan regardless, but you need a distributing PG to think about making this work.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I was intrigued, but then they also added Brandon Jennings. Not enough basketball to go around. I don't think you can get enough touches for everyone.

Not a Jennings fan regardless, but you need a distributing PG to think about making this work.
You need great shooting from the 1/2 and a creative offensive coach to allow Smith to handle the ball and create with it in my view.

Detroit doesn't have either of those things. The defensive struggles are probably the most concerning though, but in some respects no surprising. You need quickness to defend today's NBA. Having a slow SF and a slow PF is going to be rough if your 1/2/5 can't compensate.

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 03:59:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You need great shooting from the 1/2 and a creative offensive coach to allow Smith to handle the ball and create with it in my view.

Detroit doesn't have either of those things. The defensive struggles are probably the most concerning though, but in some respects no surprising. You need quickness to defend today's NBA. Having a slow SF and a slow PF is going to be rough if your 1/2/5 can't compensate.

Let's turn that advice towards the Celtics roster: is a Rondo-Smith pairing a good formula for success for the current roster? Assuming that Smith moves to his natural position at PF.

Humphries' expiring matches Smith's contract. Add draft pick(s) or other considerations to keep Green?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Very true.

Someone like Calderon for a lot cheaper who can pass and space the floor at the point.

I wish it could work but like you say it just seems too slow.  And right now Smith kind of has to take long shots, which is obviously not what you want to happen.

If you had the spacing from the guards it might look better at least.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Let's turn that advice towards the Celtics roster: is a Rondo-Smith pairing a good formula for success for the current roster? Assuming that Smith moves to his natural position at PF.

Humphries' expiring matches Smith's contract. Add draft pick(s) or other considerations to keep Green?

The only concern I'd have with Rondo-Smith echo the problems Rondo & Perk had finishing games: free throw shooting.

In JSmoove's case, I'd also add, rightly or wrongly, decision making to that list.

And it does nothing to alleviate our cluster of undersized bigs.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Jeff Green to Detroit for Josh Smith at the trade deadline?

If Rondo is truly a part of the Celts future beyond 2015, having Smith and/or Gay would certainly help.

I don't think that is necessarily true...if Smith really wanted to come to Boston and play with Boston, he probably would've taken a discount.

And I am not too fond of a Rondo and Smith come close games. Just because they are good friends doesn't mean you make bad business deals. I LOVE Smith's game, but I don't think he is a franchise player nor do I think he is worth the money that will prevent us to sign other quality star players.

What kind of a discount was he supposed to take?  The C's signed about $2 mil in free agents (Fav) and have $4 mil under the hard cap.  Was he supposed to take less than half of what he got in Detroit to come play with Rondo next year?  The only way the C's could have gotten Smith is if they could agree to a contract AND found deal with the hawks and/ or other teams to clear the salary to bring him in.  I mean, humphries and a first to Philly and a first to Atlanta would have gotten it done, but it was the cost to other teams that really prevented him from coming to Boston (and potentially the C's interest in him altogether).

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I think the Josh Smith to the Celtics train has left the station.  IMO we were either going to flip some combination of KG/PP for Smith or it wasn't going to happen.

I am fine that we didn't get Smith.  I hope that JG/JS/KO/VF get a full season to show what they can do before DA starts tinkering with our young core. 

If DA can somehow get Smith for a combination of Wallace/Bass/Hump/Bogans/Brooks and or 2nd round draft picks then go for it.

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
3 Team trade

Boston In - Monroe, Lin, Jones, Motiejunas, Villanueva
Boston Out - Rondo, Sullinger, Bass, Lee

Detroit In - Asik, Sullinger
Detroit Out - Monroe, Villanueva

Houston In - Rondo, Bass, Lee
Houston Out - Asik, Lin, Jones, Motiejunas
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think the Josh Smith to the Celtics train has left the station.........

If DA can somehow get Smith for a combination of Wallace/Bass/Hump/Bogans/Brooks and or 2nd round draft picks then go for it.

TP, I agree with this as well as the ship having sailed, the bus having left the terminal, the space rocket having left the launching pad and any other similar metaphor. We definitely could've used Smith last year, and at least one of PP/KG would've still been here.

I think we missed the boat with JSmoove. I also think the Hawks missed the boat, having gotten virtually nothing for a borderline all-star asset.

Blink, for the assets you mention above "a combination of Wallace/Bass/Hump/Bogans/Brooks and or 2nd round draft picks " I'm cool with it". Otherwise, no thanks, not now, and I am a JSmoove fan.