Poll

Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)

Rogue One
24 (44.4%)
Force Awakens
16 (29.6%)
Disliked them both
3 (5.6%)
Liked them both a good deal
8 (14.8%)
They were both just ok
3 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)  (Read 10117 times)

Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)
« on: February 19, 2017, 09:25:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I wanted to do a very scientific poll

Re: Did you prefer Force Awakens or Rogue One? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
kinda bias, I voted Rogue One cuz Donnie Yen is in it :)

plus I wasn't a fan of Kylo Ren. I felt his character acted like a teenager and doesn't have that "dark side" feel

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:07:45 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I didn't really care for Force Awakens.  It was more like "Star Wars Greatest Hits" than a movie.

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:32 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I just couldn't buy a chick that have not taken a "jedi" lesson defeating Kylo so easily.

....and call me old fashioned, but I like my heroes to be masculine.   Unless we are talking about a totally hot Wonder Woman.  It just sells better.   ;D

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
The force awakens was a terrible film.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Force awakens moved the entire thing along a bit. So I liked that a bit better. Rogue one we already knew what happened in general. We just got new details.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
havent rouge one

but a huge fan of IP Man so i know its all dat

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:42:18 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Force Awakens was good, and it was great to see Luke, Han, and Leia again, and served as a needed re-introduction of the series for younger generations, but Rogue One was outstanding, easily one of the best Star Wars movies ever.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rogue One. 

Force Awakens was a New Hope rehash.  Also didn't like how they dealt with Han. 

Thought Rogue One was extremely well done & more entertaining. 

High hopes for Episode VIII, though.  I think Rian Johnson is gonna do a good job.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Felt they are two different kinds of movies. I enjoyed both.

Rogue is much more serious and a story of a team coming together for their beliefs. Its more adult as you think about that system of belief and its required sacrifice.

Awaken is much lighter. Awakens is a Star Wars legacy movie for sure having lighter elements with the stars being young adults thrown together by fate. They step up to become heroes and face down big evil. It speaks more to youth.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:36:49 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Rogue one was much better.

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Force awakens was too similar to New Hope.  I felt like I had seen the movie before.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 01:47:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I keep coming to the conclusion that Rogue One is the 2nd best Star Wars movie ever after Empire.

If I had to rank it..

I suppose

Empire
Rogue
Revenge
Clone Wars
Return of Jedi
New Hope
Phantom
Force Awakens

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline Mempitt18

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Bold Predictions for Star Wars: The Last Jedi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ugSXRsoa4&t=1s

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 02:21:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Force Awakens, even if it was for nostalgia's sake.

Rogue One tries to be a hardened, serious war movie.

Well, the problem with that for me is that Star Wars, in the movies anyway, is not a morally gray, nuanced world.  What makes Star Wars most appealing to me is the fantasy / hero's journey elements, combined with fun and humor.

I liked K2 (Alan Tudyk is great), but for the most part I felt that Rogue One lacked characterization and humor, and ultimately it was pretty bleak.  I appreciate the effort to cast a light on the "darker side" of war, which isn't really acknowledged much in the other Star Wars movies.  Still, I think Rogue One is mostly missing what makes the best Star Wars movies so appealing (to me).  The trouble with showing the "morally gray" parts of the Rebellion vs Empire war is that the sides are still so starkly drawn: the Rebellion is Good, the Empire is Evil.

If the main characters were better developed in Rogue One, the ending might be more meaningful to me.  Why does Jyn shift from a cynical survive-at-all-costs loner to a ra-ra-Give-It-All-For-The-Rebellion! person?  They don't really explain that shift very well.  Does seeing a hologram of her father really change her that much, that quickly?  What motivates Captain Whatshisname to give everything for the rebellion?  Why are the two dudes from the temple city so willing to lay their lives down?

I was also disappointed that Ben Mendelsohn's character was so thin.  They didn't give him a lot to do in the film apart from being Unhinged, Desperate, and Evil.  In general, Rogue One suffers from a lack of properly characterized villains.  Grand Moff Tarkin is apparently the main bad guy, and he's a difficult-to-look-at CGI rendering.  Ben Mendelsohn's guy is not very smart, and not very menacing.

The lack of interesting bad guys makes the ultimate triumph of the rebels sort of lacking for me.  We always knew they would get the death star plans.  That they had to sacrifice a bunch of people to do it is somewhat affecting, but lacks punch because the characters were thin, as I said before.  Their accomplishment was kinda weakened for me because of how uncomplicated their task was -- basically, they needed to survive long enough under fire to flip a bunch of inconveniently placed switches.  Not much creative thinking involved in that one.  Nobody even really had to "use the force," except for the monk dude, possibly.

None of the characters in Rogue One were as interesting to me as Adam Driver's character in Force Awakens.  Conflicted, powerful but raw, not quite committed to being evil.

Rogue One was an entertaining action movie, but the story doesn't have a ton of lasting impact for me.  It was a nice stop-gap between Force Awakens and the next movie, though.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mark Hamill in the next one.  (That was my biggest misgiving about Force Awakens -- no Mark Hamill; that and the fact that they completely recycled the Death Star story)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:34:58 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain