Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343890 times)

Re: Anthony Davis trade thread(Davis trade request page 33)
« Reply #2880 on: May 30, 2019, 08:24:58 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I didn't immediately see this in the forums, so I'll just post it here:

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/29/18644921/report-anthony-davis-still-wants-to-leave-pelicans

Also, within that article is another from The Bird Writes (Pelicans blog) where they think they are getting: Tatum Brown Smart 14th and 22nd this year and Memphis pick for AD - a player who is demanding a trade that has one year left on his contract. That about makes sense.

If they do trade for AD, no way in hell do I give up ALL 3 of Smart/Brown/Tatum. Only 2.

I'd also like to see what other teams are offering (LAL/NYK). Is LAL actually still willing to give up their entire youth core? How does NOP view them now (Ingram blood clots, Lonzo family drama, etc.). And outside #3, what else does NYK really have to offer? Knox, then what?

I think Tatum, 1 of Brown/Smart, Picks (Memphis included) is still a very strong offer. Maybe that's "equal trade value" to what LAL/NYK has to offer but come on, that's not a "weak offer" either.

Personally, I'm just not as convinced other teams are truly offering up the farm despite what reports may say. Remember, most of those reports have come from the likes of Windhorst, Haynes, etc. who are pushing the AD-to-LA narrative, and Stephen A. Smith for the Knicks side. Basically just adding some pressure NOLA's way trying to force them to deal AD to them.

Like, do we really think LAL is offering ALL of Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, Ball and #4? I doubt it. Maybe 3 of those 5 assets but I doubt all. Or if they really are, then just let them have AD lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2881 on: May 30, 2019, 08:33:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/5/29/18644921/report-anthony-davis-still-wants-to-leave-pelicans

Also, within that article is another from The Bird Writes (Pelicans blog) where they think they are getting: Tatum Brown Smart 14th and 22nd this year and Memphis pick for AD - a player who is demanding a trade that has one year left on his contract. That about makes sense.

If they do trade for AD, no way in hell do I give up ALL 3 of Smart/Brown/Tatum. Only 2.

I'd also like to see what other teams are offering (LAL/NYK). Is LAL actually still willing to give up their entire youth core? How does NOP view them now (Ingram blood clots, Lonzo family drama, etc.). And outside #3, what else does NYK really have to offer? Knox, then what?

I think Tatum, 1 of Brown/Smart, Picks (Memphis included) is still a very strong offer. Maybe that's "equal trade value" to what LAL/NYK has to offer but come on, that's not a "weak offer" either.
Not only does Lonzo have the whole Ball drama, but I feel as if people are completely overlooking how injury prone he is. He's played less in his first 2 seasons than Kyrie, Wade, Brandon Roy, Penny Hardaway, TMac, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, Jabari Parker, Gallinari and Andrew Bynum all did in theirs.

He's only managed 17 more games in his first 2 seasons than Exum did in his first 2, and Exum only played in the one season! Very damaged goods
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2882 on: May 30, 2019, 08:42:35 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

Personally, I'm just not as convinced other teams are truly offering up the farm despite what reports may say. Remember, most of those reports have come from the likes of Windhorst, Haynes, etc. who are pushing the AD-to-LA narrative, and Stephen A. Smith for the Knicks side. Basically just adding some pressure NOLA's way trying to force them to deal AD to them.

Like, do we really think LAL is offering ALL of Kuzma, Ingram, Hart, Ball and #4? I doubt it. Maybe 3 of those 5 assets but I doubt all. Or if they really are, then just let them have AD lol.
Not only does Lonzo have the whole Ball drama, but I feel as if people are completely overlooking how injury prone he is. He's played less in his first 2 seasons than Kyrie, Wade, Brandon Roy, Penny Hardaway, TMac, Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, Jabari Parker, Gallinari and Andrew Bynum all did in theirs.

He's only managed 17 more games in his first 2 seasons than Exum did in his first 2, and Exum only played in the one season! Very damaged goods

Yeah that's true. Lonzo's been injury prone and also you can't really ignore the clot issues Ingram has dealt with. I think LAL trading away Zubac for scraps also hurt them. Apparently NOLA were really high on him in a potential package last February but then when the AD deal didn't happen, LAL just dumped him to the Clippers (and of course the Clippers celebrated lol).

Another thing to point out. The Lakers can absorb salary since they have cap space, but if they did a deal for AD they are taking back more money than what they are sending out I believe. So unless a max-FA is willing to take a bit of a discount, they still might not be able to add another max after trading for AD.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2883 on: May 30, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
So uhm Lakers are favorites to land Anthony Davis?

https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-the-favorite-to-land-anthony-davis-according-to-oddsmaker-141202208.html?src=rss

Dunno what the oddsmakers know, but the chances of the Lakers getting AD seem quite low given that Brandon Ingram's trade value is still murky, the Lakers are quite infamously in disarray as an organization, and New Orleans is still supposedly entirely opposed to making any sort of deal with Pelinka and co.

By my logic it's 1 of 2 things:

1) LA is a top 2 market full of dumb fans / bettors, and the Lakers have the most fans of any team.

2) Kyrie isn't coming back to Boston so DA won't try and outbid LA's godfather offer, making LA the prohibitive favorite, as some see tham at #2.

Or it could be something less obvious or that I'm simply not considering.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2884 on: May 30, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-the-favorite-to-land-anthony-davis-according-to-oddsmaker-141202208.html?src=rss

Dunno what the oddsmakers know, but the chances of the Lakers getting AD seem quite low given that Brandon Ingram's trade value is still murky, the Lakers are quite infamously in disarray as an organization, and New Orleans is still supposedly entirely opposed to making any sort of deal with Pelinka and co.

1) LA is a top 2 market full of dumb fans / bettors, and the Lakers have the most fans of any team.

2) Kyrie isn't coming back to Boston so DA won't try and outbid LA's godfather offer, making LA the prohibitive favorite, as some see tham at #2.

Even if the Celts aren't in the bidding, I think the Knicks or Clippers could have a stronger offer.  Or at least strong enough to give the Pelicans a palatable alternative to dealing with the Lakers.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2885 on: May 30, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
If Kyrie is truly considering the Lakers, he in a way controls the destiny of Anthony Davis.  Does he tell Boston and LA "if you sign AD, I will come there too"?  Or does he tell Boston, "I'm not coming back, even if you get AD" ?  If he tells Boston that, LA should out bid Boston.

I really can’t see him actually considering the Lakers. Wanted to be the man and step out from under LeBron’s shadow, only to run back?

The Clippers could be a legit contender for him, but they really don’t have the assets to pull off an AD trade without getting outbid. The appeal of playing for Doc is real, and maybe if they can fit Kawhi and Kyrie it can be possible, as Kyrie will get the limelight while Kawhi is the better player (unlike how it would be alongside KD who has his own ego issues).

I think it’s either Celtics or Knicks/Nets.

The question is whether Kyrie still wants to be the man after his experience in Boston. He was disgruntled for at least half the season this year. Maybe Lebron isn't looking so bad to him now.

But I agree that either NY or the Nets are his most likely destinations.

It's impossible to be disgruntled if you were never gruntled to begin with. 

Kyrie went from stonewalling his teammates in Cleveland and forcing his way out of town, to shutting down his season early on the C's and skipping game 7 of the ECF's (natural leadership). He followed this up by spending this season sniping at teammates and coaches through the media before shooting his team out of the second round.

He is consistently unsatisfied.     

« Reply #2886 on: May 30, 2019, 10:43:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If Kyrie is truly considering the Lakers, he in a way controls the destiny of Anthony Davis.  Does he tell Boston and LA "if you sign AD, I will come there too"?  Or does he tell Boston, "I'm not coming back, even if you get AD" ?  If he tells Boston that, LA should out bid Boston.

I really can’t see him actually considering the Lakers. Wanted to be the man and step out from under LeBron’s shadow, only to run back?

The Clippers could be a legit contender for him, but they really don’t have the assets to pull off an AD trade without getting outbid. The appeal of playing for Doc is real, and maybe if they can fit Kawhi and Kyrie it can be possible, as Kyrie will get the limelight while Kawhi is the better player (unlike how it would be alongside KD who has his own ego issues).

The question is whether Kyrie still wants to be the man after his experience in Boston. He was disgruntled for at least half the season this year. Maybe Lebron isn't looking so bad to him now.

Kyrie went from stonewalling his teammates in Cleveland and forcing his way out of town, to shutting down his season early on the C's and skipping game 7 of the ECF's (natural leadership). He followed this up by spending this season sniping at teammates and coaches through the media before shooting his team out of the second round.

You know who else is consistently unsatisfied? Kyrie haters and detractors.

Never change nor fail to amaze me at what lengths you guys will go to prove your point.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2887 on: May 30, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

You know who else is consistently unsatisfied? Kyrie haters and detractors.

Never change nor fail to amaze me at what lengths you guys will go to prove your point.

I suspect many of the Kyrie "haters" are Knicks fans.  Sure, Kyrie has a big mouth with the media, but they constantly distorted his quotes  as if they were pushing him to NY. Which I'm sure some of them were. Now they've got a new team for him--the Nets. Where the heck are they going to play him? That must be news to them.

« Reply #2888 on: May 30, 2019, 11:12:39 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

Even if the Celts aren't in the bidding, I think the Knicks or Clippers could have a stronger offer.  Or at least strong enough to give the Pelicans a palatable alternative to dealing with the Lakers.

I agree, so maybe it’s just thinking Lakers fans will bet and be wrong. Either way, those seem to be the 2 logical deductions to draw.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2889 on: May 30, 2019, 11:21:07 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Here’s a thought fellas:

Anthony Davis is a generation talent. 1 could argue he’s better than anyone on our roster will ever be. It’s either go all in on AD or no AD at all. What I mean by this is, go all in on building a championship contender around AD This year.

Smart
Brown
Hayward
Horford
Davis

Do you think this is a starting roster that makes the Celtics a championship contender? Of course that question is suggestive, but in the end you are taking a risk on if Gordon will be back at 100%. If you get AD you can’t take a flier on players, you have to have a roster built for contention form day one. The goal is to make a deep playoff run, competitive enough for Davis to feel like either we have the squad to win it or we are just 1 piece away.

I’m not sure what that roster would look like but, You would need an upgrade for a scorer and or a PG. Rozier and or Smart won’t cut it for this process to work. Basically you would be building a team around Brown and AD for immediate contention. All I know is Brown, Morris, Horford, are the only guarantees. You will have Hayward, Rozier, Williams 3, and 2 draft picks this year to find a 3rd star.

With limited cap space you will have the opportunity to sign Rondo who has not only familiarity wining with the Celtics he also is the only PG who has taken AD to the playoffs.

What do you guys think about this?

« Reply #2890 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:54 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think Davis will not stay if there is no Irving.

If we trade for AD without Kyrie, we run the risk of investigating the higher chance that AD may not promise to re-sign in first person.

I also don't want feel comfortable giving the keys to Smart to run the offense 100%, and Brown still have issues with his playmaking, vision, and handles.

And yes, as you pointed out Hayward could probably not come back 100%.

So no, this team is not a contender.. Add Irving at PG, and yes that is a contender.

EDIT:

Brown, AD, and Horford are a great defensive big 3, and probably be our best players if healthy, but all of them lack the immediate ability to play make.

Horford can score on the fast breaks with intelligent passes, but I don't want him to consistently be doing that.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2891 on: May 30, 2019, 11:42:59 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I think Davis will not stay if there is no Irving.

If we trade for AD without Kyrie, we run the risk of investigating the higher chance that AD may not promise to re-sign in first person.

I also don't want feel comfortable giving the keys to Smart to run the offense 100%, and Brown still have issues with his playmaking, vision, and handles.

And yes, as you pointed out Hayward could probably not come back 100%.

So no, this team is not a contender.. Add Irving at PG, and yes that is a contender.

EDIT:

Brown, AD, and Horford are a great defensive big 3, and probably be our best players if healthy, but all of them lack the immediate ability to play make.

Horford can score on the fast breaks with intelligent passes, but I don't want him to consistently be doing that.

All that is correct, except let’s assume Tatum, Smart, Rob3 Grizz Pick , gets you AD.

You are now left with Hayward, Rozier, Theis, 14th pick, 22nd Pick,  20th Pick to get you another potential star. Who do you get? You can take those assets and try and find a playmaker, you can even add Brown in here to find an upgrade for him.

I guess you really have Davis and Horford and everyone else is tradable, who is your 3rd star?

« Reply #2892 on: May 30, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Hayward + Rozier + 14th pick + 20th Pick +22nd Pick can get you some interesting players

DeMar Dorzen?
Aaron Gordon?
Zach Levine?
Chris Paul? (No draft picks)

Hayward+ Jaylen Brown + Rozier + 14th pick + 20th Pick + future pick can get interesting to

Westbrook?
Harden?
Towns?
Lillard?
((Durant)) doubtful FA
Towns?

My Main point is, if Kyrie leaves and Celtics still trade for AD this is what I feel like would have to be done. Is it worth it? Well you guys tell me. This is a hell of a risk, but the reward could be worth it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:25:31 AM by RazzelnoDazzel »

« Reply #2893 on: May 31, 2019, 05:53:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Those work out trade machine wise but other teams would fall out of their chairs laughing at those offers...

« Reply #2894 on: May 31, 2019, 06:21:42 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

The team wanted him to get the surgery.
And he was getting treatment during game 7.

You understand that what you stated was completely incorrect right?