Author Topic: Celtics Bar in LA?  (Read 5795 times)

Celtics Bar in LA?
« on: June 08, 2008, 08:11:31 AM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
So I live in LA (yes southern california, I live 12 miles from staples center)and want to watch a game at a "Celtics Bar"... the only one I know of is Sonny's in Santa Monica but that place is going to be crazy packed and cant get there early enough to get in, if I go to any other bar they are going to be filled with all laker fans and so a good chance I will get into a fight (and win the fight)... Sooooo I was wondering if anyone here that lives in LA knows of any "Celtics Bars?...

Re: Celtics Bar in LA?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:16:57 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
So I live in LA (yes southern california, I live 12 miles from staples center)and want to watch a game at a "Celtics Bar"... the only one I know of is Sonny's in Santa Monica but that place is going to be crazy packed and cant get there early enough to get in, if I go to any other bar they are going to be filled with all laker fans and so a good chance I will get into a fight (and win the fight)... Sooooo I was wondering if anyone here that lives in LA knows of any "Celtics Bars?...

if you're gonna win the fight, you've got nothing to worry about...

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 10:07:09 AM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 376
if you're gonna win the fight, you've got nothing to worry about...

... except that in jail a) they might not be showing the game b) you'll probably have to fight again there and this time the odds won't be stacked   in your favor as much  ;)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:50:09 AM »

Offline Champzilla

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 102
Is there even such a place ?
Boston is the Greatest City in the World !!!

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline bigbabyjesus

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
There is a place called Fat Face Fenners in Hermosa, but the boston bars in LA are faux. I have gone in there during the regular season to see the celtics demoted to a small screen in the corner (if it is even on).  It is right on the beach and worth checking out though.  I love getting heckled by lakers fan when I go out in my PP jersey!

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
http://www.sonnymcleans.com/

This one looks promising.

EDIT: Oops.  Didn't read the first post closely enough.

Probably the easiest way to find one (other than the places in this thread) is to look around for a Red Sox bar on the internet.  There's a very active Red Sox community in LA, and I imagine most of the pro-Red Sox bars are also pro-Celtics.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:54:00 PM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:49:50 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Sonny Mclean's is probably the most famous Boston bar here in LA, but it's pretty small and a very tough place to get into. They also play a bit of favoritism with the older regulars and seating. If you're going, get there really early and stay a long day. Their menu is pretty good -- they even have whole fried clams (with bellies), which is very rare for LA.

Fat Face Fenners is okay, though getting a parking place in Hermosa on a summer weekend is rough.

If you want to go over the hill, Timmy Nolan's is pretty good, but also a tough place to get into. Watched game 1 there and it was packed with Boston fans. It's on the Burbank/Toluca Lake line (on Riverside) and has good pub food and lots of TV's.

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
reread the thread...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:02:01 PM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:57:10 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
hey I live in LA now and other than Sonny's, the only other Boston Sports Bar i've been to is called the 35'er in Pasadena. The bar tender is from boston and they have events for all the sox/celts/pats games. there will definitely be lakers fans there, but tons of Celtics fans also

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 01:29:13 PM »

Offline doubledowntrent

• Xavier Tillman
reread the thread...
Sonny Mclean's is probably the most famous Boston bar here in LA, but it's pretty small and a very tough place to get into. They also play a bit of favoritism with the older regulars and seating. If you're going, get there really early and stay a long day. Their menu is pretty good -- they even have whole fried clams (with bellies), which is very rare for LA.

Fat Face Fenners is okay, though getting a parking place in Hermosa on a summer weekend is rough.

If you want to go over the hill, Timmy Nolan's is pretty good, but also a tough place to get into. Watched game 1 there and it was packed with Boston fans. It's on the Burbank/Toluca Lake line (on Riverside) and has good pub food and lots of TV's.

Hey Conner, I was thinking of going to Timmy Nolans for game 1 but didn't end up making it.  Was it a good place to watch the game?  I had been there before for a Celtics game but they didn't turn the sound on.  Also how early should I get there in order to get a seat?

To the threadstarter - All the good Boston bars are in Santa Monica.  I would recommend going down there.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Quick question, is there a Laker's bar in Boston?

And if so, how did it survive?

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:25:07 AM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
I think I am going to try Timmy Nolans for game 2... I usually go to Leo's in La Crescenta but I went there for the Celts/Lakers first regular season game and it got a little rowdy in there...I went to Sonnys for the second regular season game and it was kinda disapointing cause it was not all that packed... funny now when I call to see if I can get a table they tell me to show up at like noon... that is like 10 hours of drinking!

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 08:25:52 PM »

Offline doubledowntrent

• Xavier Tillman
I think I am going to go to Timmy Nolans for game 3, maybe I will see some of you guys there.

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »

Offline Roper

• Xavier Tillman
I will be at Timmy's too... lets make it a Celticblog BAR!!!!!!!