Author Topic: Tatum's Clutch Shot vs the Knicks  (Read 4728 times)

Re: Tatums clutch shot vs the knicks
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 11:02:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Tatum looks like hes ready to be the 2nd best player on the team offensively....going to be scary when Hayward/Kyrie get into a rhythm
Maybe even the best.  I know Kyrie is a genius at what he does, but I feel more confident that we will score when Tatum is making his moves.

Re: Tatum's Clutch Shot vs the Knicks
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 11:08:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
He seems to shoot a TON of mid range stuff. So is everyone at the moment. Should just be attacking the rim constantly. Dish or get fouled.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He seems to shoot a TON of mid range stuff. So is everyone at the moment. Should just be attacking the rim constantly. Dish or get fouled.
I agree with this.  I'm not crazy about his shot selection... very Carmelo Anthony like.  But he's so good at what he does.  I hope he starts looking for more 3's and rim attacks.  It's easy to see why settles for midrange but I don't really like it all the time.

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 11:36:14 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I love what Tatum showed so far.
Still, he has a long way to go;
- his defense is shaky, he bites on pump fakes regularly, and gets bumped of spots. Sometimes after a score, he forgets about the other end.
- if he doesn't shoot it, his creating and decision making leave a lot to be desired. As his usage% is rising his TO% is spiking.

Not saying these aren't fixable, just that we are treating him as an All-star and he is not that - yet.

He’s also starting to complain too often about missed calls on the offensive end instead of getting back on defense. But hey, I guess it’s better than pushing the ref and starting a fight after a bad call like his peers do, i.e. Ingram

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Probably what he learned from Kobe in their summer workout.

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

He did in college as well.  He had a lot of advanced mid range shots/moves that he didn't use much last season.  Stevens didn't want him using those much since they're low percentage.  It looks like he's being given more latitude this season.

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
For those concerned, a few things of note:

Carmelo took 14% of his shots from 10-16 feet and 28% of his shots from 16-23 feet over his career.

Tatum is taking (in his small sample size) 17% of his shots from 10-16 feet and 23% from 16-23 feet.

Even with Tatum's uptick in mid-range shots, he is still not as bad as Melo's career.

On top of that, Melo's TS% was never as good as Tatum's last year or this year. His 3 point shooting was never as good as Tatum's last year.

The main area where Tatum lags behind is FT rate, which does concern me a bit, but Brad Stevens is not Callipari (thank goodness). He doesn't make his players force the issue at the rim to draw fouls.

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 01:05:34 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Paul Pierce 2.0.

lol PP is already protecting his place. The studio crew was teasing Paul about Tatum having better handles than him when Paul defended his legacy by saying people who said he did not have tight handles or athleticism should visit youtube. LOL.

Paul was a better defender, but Tatum is very, very advanced offensively for his age.

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 01:36:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
That fall-away shot also kinda reminded me of KG's shot.

Love this kid.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He was great but I think sometimes he is more worried about a move than just taking the shot.   Of course, developing these moves tends to lead to good things down the road.   But sometimes he makes shots more complicated than they have to be at times.
he is twenty [dang]ed years old.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'm grateful for these mid range shots. It takes more skill to get a good shot off in the midrange than it does hoisting 3's. This 3 point analytic era is a snooze fest. I appreciate the art of the midrange.

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

I'm grateful for these mid range shots. It takes more skill to get a good shot off in the midrange than it does hoisting 3's. This 3 point analytic era is a snooze fest. I appreciate the art of the midrange.

You pretty much nailed it. I think he needs to remove those long 2's from his game but it's actually nice to watch a player that isn't just jacking up 3's all game.

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 05:13:28 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

You pretty much nailed it. I think he needs to remove those long 2's from his game but it's actually nice to watch a player that isn't just jacking up 3's all game.

Yep. James Harden is the poster boy for the modern NBA. He either takes 3's, gets layups, or shoots free throws. Does this help his team win games? Absolutely. Is it fun to watch as a viewer? Absolutely not.

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It’s pretty and artful, but is it as efficient?

The math is simple, but he needs to shoot 50% on those shots to reach the efficiency of a 33.3% 3PT shooter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

It’s pretty and artful, but is it as efficient?

The math is simple, but he needs to shoot 50% on those shots to reach the efficiency of a 33.3% 3PT shooter.

In general, yes a three point shot is more efficient than a long two point shot, because it's worth 50% more points but isn't 50% more difficult to make (the NBA probably needs to change this - but that's a different argument).

But not all three point shots are created equal.  Generally speaking, an open long two point shot is a more efficient shot than a contested three point shot.  Ideally, you'd like to shoot all threes or layups, but when the defense won't allow it, you take what they give you.  The teams that can find that balance between forcing the issue (trying to get layups/threes - at any cost), and taking the best open shot available, are the teams that have the most success.

The bottom line is, there is still plenty of value to be had from a good mid-range game.  Knowing how and when to use it is the more difficult part.