Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366857 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1755 on: January 14, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
20 points, 22 rebounds, 9 assists from Simmons today against the Knicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZX9W7wzQEc

He even hit a fadeaway from midrange (1:31 of the video).

I know most of you guys believe he's overrated, but meh, I don't care. :P Simmons, Giannis, Jokic and Luka are my favorite non-Celtics to watch right now.

Btw, there's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

Looks like some guys on Liberty Ballers are right. Simmons sucks against good teams and has great stats against bad teams that's why to some he is great.

Yea he really posts fat stat lines against lousy teams. Wake me up when he has a good game against bucks, Celtics, raptors, warrrior etc and the 76ers winZ I will legit be impressed at that point
You mean like the 26/12/8 on 11 of 13 shooting he had against Toronto in his most recent game against the Raptors.

You realize Leonard didn't play that game right? Toronto without Leonard is guess what? A bad team.
They are 8-2 without Leonard this year and just beat Indiana by 16 without him.  The 2 games before Philly in which Leonard didn't play were back to back road victories by 20 or more points against the Clippers and then Warriors.  Early in the year, they also won back to back road games against the Lakers and Jazz by 14 and 13 respectively, again without Leonard. 

Perhaps you might want to reevaluate your position on the Raptors without Leonard.

If you really think a team a raptors team missing leonard (and jonas) is a good team, i don't really know what to tell you. They have some nice wins without him for sure, but that is probably as much teams overlooking them once Leonard is out.

I can also tell you that when Leonard did actually play Simmons had 8 points and 7 turnovers and only took 6 shots
Simmons was also +1 in that game because he had 10 rebounds and 11 assists (and he made 4 of those 6 shots) and he was a monster defensively.  I mean Lowry was 2 of 8 for 7 points, 4 boards, and 4 assists and Danny Green was even worse (i.e. the starting backcourt of which Simmons was a key defensive component guarding).  Why ignore the good things Simmons does?  And of course, Leonard didn't guard Simmons, he was on Butler who ended with 38 points and 10 rebounds.  Embiid's 5 of 17 and -23 was the reason the Sixers lost that game.  Of course that doesn't fit your narrative, which is why you didn't bother to mention that.

What exactly is my narrative? I have a belief that the elite teams in the east can neutralize some of simmons flaws. Many articles by third party sites have discussed this. It is not something I came up with on my own. He struggled against us in the playoffs last year. I think he is a very good player and has a chance to be really great. Not really sure what is so controversial about it. And if someone says they would like to see him put up a complete game against an elite team a few times in wins, is that controversial?
We have shown that we can expose some of Simmons flaws.  I wouldn't necessarily propagate that to the other top teams in the East.  From a Derek Bodner after their Xmas loss to us.

In the nine games the Sixers have played against the Celtics over the past two seasons, Simmons has the worst plus/minus on the team. It’s not even close. The team is -125 in the 403 minutes Simmons has played against Boston, which includes a -37 in four regular-season games last season, -63 in five playoff games and a -25 in the two games this season. The other two starters who have been here the entire time? Redick is a -15 in 350 minutes and Embiid is a +10 in 358

He looked pretty bad against the bucks and when he played against the full strength raptors (2x). I think it is time for him to shoot some jumpers.

« Reply #1756 on: January 14, 2019, 05:17:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I know most of you guys believe he's overrated, but meh, I don't care. :P Simmons, Giannis, Jokic and Luka are my favorite non-Celtics to watch right now.

Btw, there's speculation (although not from credible sources) that the Sixers might make Simmons available in a package for AD. If I were the Pels, I'd take Simmons + 2021 Miami unprotected first + more pick(s) over Tatum + pick(s) or whatever the Lakers may offer.

But then again, I'm really high on Simmons. At the end of the day, Simmons is a polarizing player. Either you love him or you consider him overrated. Perhaps the Pels GM considers him overrated.

Looks like some guys on Liberty Ballers are right. Simmons sucks against good teams and has great stats against bad teams that's why to some he is great.

Yea he really posts fat stat lines against lousy teams. Wake me up when he has a good game against bucks, Celtics, raptors, warrrior etc and the 76ers winZ I will legit be impressed at that point
You mean like the 26/12/8 on 11 of 13 shooting he had against Toronto in his most recent game against the Raptors.

You realize Leonard didn't play that game right? Toronto without Leonard is guess what? A bad team.
They are 8-2 without Leonard this year and just beat Indiana by 16 without him.  The 2 games before Philly in which Leonard didn't play were back to back road victories by 20 or more points against the Clippers and then Warriors.  Early in the year, they also won back to back road games against the Lakers and Jazz by 14 and 13 respectively, again without Leonard. 

Perhaps you might want to reevaluate your position on the Raptors without Leonard.

If you really think a team a raptors team missing leonard (and jonas) is a good team, i don't really know what to tell you. They have some nice wins without him for sure, but that is probably as much teams overlooking them once Leonard is out.

I can also tell you that when Leonard did actually play Simmons had 8 points and 7 turnovers and only took 6 shots
Simmons was also +1 in that game because he had 10 rebounds and 11 assists (and he made 4 of those 6 shots) and he was a monster defensively.  I mean Lowry was 2 of 8 for 7 points, 4 boards, and 4 assists and Danny Green was even worse (i.e. the starting backcourt of which Simmons was a key defensive component guarding).  Why ignore the good things Simmons does?  And of course, Leonard didn't guard Simmons, he was on Butler who ended with 38 points and 10 rebounds.  Embiid's 5 of 17 and -23 was the reason the Sixers lost that game.  Of course that doesn't fit your narrative, which is why you didn't bother to mention that.

What exactly is my narrative? I have a belief that the elite teams in the east can neutralize some of simmons flaws. Many articles by third party sites have discussed this. It is not something I came up with on my own. He struggled against us in the playoffs last year. I think he is a very good player and has a chance to be really great. Not really sure what is so controversial about it. And if someone says they would like to see him put up a complete game against an elite team a few times in wins, is that controversial?
We have shown that we can expose some of Simmons flaws.  I wouldn't necessarily propagate that to the other top teams in the East.  From a Derek Bodner after their Xmas loss to us.

In the nine games the Sixers have played against the Celtics over the past two seasons, Simmons has the worst plus/minus on the team. It’s not even close. The team is -125 in the 403 minutes Simmons has played against Boston, which includes a -37 in four regular-season games last season, -63 in five playoff games and a -25 in the two games this season. The other two starters who have been here the entire time? Redick is a -15 in 350 minutes and Embiid is a +10 in 358

He looked pretty bad against the bucks and when he played against the full strength raptors (2x). I think it is time for him to shoot some jumpers.
How exactly did he look bad against the Raptors in the game we were discussing?  What because he only took 6 shots (making 4 mind you), that makes him look bad.  Against the Bucks he went for 14/13/11 and again the starting backcourt of Bledsoe and Brogdon was awful (a combined 9 of 30) and Fultz started that game next to Simmons. 

Tazz is right, just because Boston does very well against Simmons, doesn't mean everyone does.  Even last year, Simmons struggled against Boston in the regular season, but he still had plenty of very strong games against truly elite competition like the Warriors (in both Warriors games the Sixers were better with Simmons on the floor and in the 2nd game, significantly better with him on the floor and htose were in the first month of his professional career).  His second game against Houston was very strong.  Both Portland games (the 3 seed last year) very strong.  Triple doubles in 2 of the 3 Pacer games last year.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1757 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

How exactly did he look bad against the Raptors in the game we were discussing?  What because he only took 6 shots (making 4 mind you), that makes him look bad.  Against the Bucks he went for 14/13/11 and again the starting backcourt of Bledsoe and Brogdon was awful (a combined 9 of 30) and Fultz started that game next to Simmons. 

Tazz is right, just because Boston does very well against Simmons, doesn't mean everyone does.  Even last year, Simmons struggled against Boston in the regular season, but he still had plenty of very strong games against truly elite competition like the Warriors (in both Warriors games the Sixers were better with Simmons on the floor and in the 2nd game, significantly better with him on the floor and htose were in the first month of his professional career).  His second game against Houston was very strong.  Both Portland games (the 3 seed last year) very strong.  Triple doubles in 2 of the 3 Pacer games last year.   

Did you actually watch the Raptors 76ers game? He literally looked bad. Lots of turnovers (7 of them) and some of them just inexcusable throwing them out of bounds.How did he do in his other game where Leonard played. 11 TURNOVERS. I would absolutely lose my mind if I watched Irving have 18 turnovers in two games against a fellow contender and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams anyone saying he played even ok or trying to defend him...what a weird take by you.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401070781

« Reply #1758 on: January 15, 2019, 09:35:30 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
76ers have a tough match-ups for the next 3 weeks. it might be our only chance to jump into 4th place. We suck... but i think we have mostly home-games coming up.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25756733/the-next-three-weeks-make-break-76ers

« Reply #1759 on: January 15, 2019, 10:03:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
76ers have a tough match-ups for the next 3 weeks. it might be our only chance to jump into 4th place. We suck... but i think we have mostly home-games coming up.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25756733/the-next-three-weeks-make-break-76ers
Boston does have 7 of 8 at home though Toronto and Golden State are 2 of those games.  Either way, the team really does need to go 6-2 or better as after that starts a very difficult 17 game stretch.  That 17 games stretch includes 10 road games and only NY, CLE, and CHI are "easy" teams and of the 7 home games the 2 easiest games are DET and WAS and that stretch ends with 4 straight out west.  Boston could somewhat realistically only go 5-12 or so.  The last 15 games are much easier though so there should be a chance to pick up some ground again.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1760 on: January 18, 2019, 03:56:34 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

« Reply #1761 on: January 18, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think that we already knew this

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ben-simmons-cant-shoot-a-3-and-good-teams-know-it/?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

It's funny, because every time Simmons hits a long jumper or even a 3, people focus on the make, but I'm intrigued at the fact that he's literally WIDE OPEN when he takes those shots. I mean like literally, no one is 15 feet away from him even. And if he hits it, it doesn't matter, the defense continues to ignore him unless if he drives into the paint. The reality is, a big reason PHI struggles in close games against great teams is because Simmons is a liability on offense and yes, other teams know it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1762 on: January 18, 2019, 04:03:39 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ben-simmons-cant-shoot-a-3-and-good-teams-know-it/?yptr=yahoo?src=rss

It's funny, because every time Simmons hits a long jumper or even a 3, people focus on the make, but I'm intrigued at the fact that he's literally WIDE OPEN when he takes those shots. I mean like literally, no one is 15 feet away from him even. And if he hits it, it doesn't matter, the defense continues to ignore him unless if he drives into the paint. The reality is, a big reason PHI struggles in close games against great teams is because Simmons is a liability on offense and yes, other teams know it.

their 7 ft tall Marcus Smart .

« Reply #1763 on: January 18, 2019, 05:03:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Wait, this hasn't happened yet has it?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1764 on: January 18, 2019, 06:10:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Nope.  0-11 regular season, 0-1 playoffs. I'm not even sure how many "real" (meaning chosen and not an end-of-quarter or shot clock heave) attempts he has.  His shot chart shows only 4 from inside half-court and only one that wasn't at a quarter buzzer.

« Reply #1765 on: January 18, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nope.  0-11 regular season, 0-1 playoffs. I'm not even sure how many "real" (meaning chosen and not an end-of-quarter or shot clock heave) attempts he has.  His shot chart shows only 4 from inside half-court and only one that wasn't at a quarter buzzer.
Lol, his shot chart really is hilarious. I'm not going to be really frightened of Philly while he remains a complete non-threat from deep
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1766 on: January 18, 2019, 06:30:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

their 7 ft tall Marcus Smart .

If Simmons could achieve Smart's outside shooting numbers he would be an MVP candidate. He's not even close to Smart's level, sadly.

« Reply #1767 on: January 18, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
it is funny i said simmons was not as good against elite teams a few pages ago and a few people tried to fight me tooth and nail on it (then mysteriously got quiet when i pointed out Simmons 18! turnovers in two games against toronto). Now that argument can get taken up against 538...

“Boston has outscored Philly by 125 points in 402 minutes with him on the floor, according to StatMuse.” By comparison, that number was somehow 134 points worse than Embiid’s plus-minus against Boston in a comparable number of minutes.1 Ellentuck went on to show a similar split for Simmons against other contenders (such as the Toronto Raptors), and more favorable splits against poor teams such as the Atlanta Hawks, although a lot of that is to be expected — obviously a good player on a good team will have a better plus-minus against bad teams than fellow good ones.

Individually, though, Simmons does have one of the NBA’s largest splits in performance based on the quality of the opponent, and the Sixers have won disproportionately more games against bad teams than good ones. Using data from HoopsStats.com, I broke out the DRE (Daily RAPM Estimate, a useful all-in-one “game score”-type stat from Nylon Calculus) per 36 minutes for every player who logged at least 500 minutes against opponents who are better and opponents who are worse than .500 this season.

Many players across the league see a decline in production when facing tougher teams, but Simmons has seen the fourth-biggest drop-off. And while No. 1 on the list belongs to Steph Curry of all players, Curry still does plenty of damage against good teams, ranking eighth in DRE per 36 vs. teams with winning records. Simmons, by contrast, ranks 77th against those same opponents.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:03:26 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1768 on: January 18, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
it is funny i said simmons was not as good against elite teams a few pages ago and a few people tried to fight me tooth and nail on it (then mysteriously got quiet when i pointed out Simmons 18! turnovers in two games against toronto). Now that argument can get taken up against 538...

“Boston has outscored Philly by 125 points in 402 minutes with him on the floor, according to StatMuse.” By comparison, that number was somehow 134 points worse than Embiid’s plus-minus against Boston in a comparable number of minutes.1 Ellentuck went on to show a similar split for Simmons against other contenders (such as the Toronto Raptors), and more favorable splits against poor teams such as the Atlanta Hawks, although a lot of that is to be expected — obviously a good player on a good team will have a better plus-minus against bad teams than fellow good ones.

Individually, though, Simmons does have one of the NBA’s largest splits in performance based on the quality of the opponent, and the Sixers have won disproportionately more games against bad teams than good ones. Using data from HoopsStats.com, I broke out the DRE (Daily RAPM Estimate, a useful all-in-one “game score”-type stat from Nylon Calculus) per 36 minutes for every player who logged at least 500 minutes against opponents who are better and opponents who are worse than .500 this season.

Many players across the league see a decline in production when facing tougher teams, but Simmons has seen the fourth-biggest drop-off. And while No. 1 on the list belongs to Steph Curry of all players, Curry still does plenty of damage against good teams, ranking eighth in DRE per 36 vs. teams with winning records. Simmons, by contrast, ranks 77th against those same opponents.

I was on the same page as you. Simmons is an excellent player to have to get a good regular season record, but he's a liability against tough competition. That's why I believe that Philadelphia will never get to the NBA Finals with Simmons as one of their core guys. Simmons is fools gold.

« Reply #1769 on: January 18, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I've been saying it as well, because some folks at Liberty Ballers have said it multiple times, his gaudy numbers is skewed so much because he destroys lesser competition and the few times they've played elite teams, he sucked so much.