Author Topic: Why is Boston's fanbase less starstruck than LAL's?  (Read 1854 times)

Why is Boston's fanbase less starstruck than LAL's?
« on: June 11, 2019, 11:40:00 AM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
As a Celtic fan who hates the Lakers, the one thing I can relate to when strolling their blogs etc. Is their fascination with Superstars in the league. Between the front office and fanbase, they are constantly big game hunting.

Now I've enjoyed watching them strike out (it's intoxicating ), but they at least seem to acknowledge that it takes All NBA caliber stars to win titles. They are aggressive, and a majority of them hate waiting.

I've noticed that a lot of Boston fans like a more organic approach, are way more into homegrown talent, and preach patience. So I hate to ask this, but are we less competitive in terms of wanting to win at all costs? Is our fanbase just as entertained by the process as the result?

I just can't fathom the people who want Kyrie gone and the AD trade not to happen. It puts us far, far out of reach of a title. I'm watching these finals with disgust, I'm miserable that we're not in this thing. Losing hurts. So why so much interest in the long game?

Re: Why is Boston's fanbase less starstruck than LAL's?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
As a Celtic fan who hates the Lakers, the one thing I can relate to when strolling their blogs etc. Is their fascination with Superstars in the league. Between the front office and fanbase, they are constantly big game hunting.

Now I've enjoyed watching them strike out (it's intoxicating ), but they at least seem to acknowledge that it takes All NBA caliber stars to win titles. They are aggressive, and a majority of them hate waiting.

I've noticed that a lot of Boston fans like a more organic approach, are way more into homegrown talent, and preach patience. So I hate to ask this, but are we less competitive in terms of wanting to win at all costs? Is our fanbase just as entertained by the process as the result?

I just can't fathom the people who want Kyrie gone and the AD trade not to happen. It puts us far, far out of reach of a title. I'm watching these finals with disgust, I'm miserable that we're not in this thing. Losing hurts. So why so much interest in the long game?

We have calls for trading half the team for AD. LA doesn't have the talented youth we have, so they need to be more aggressive in attracting outside talent. If LA had the upside in their young guys we do, they would probably be the same.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
LA has more advantages in attracting superstars and being a destination city than any other franchise. Boston has always had to maneuver more to get there. We have no choice.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
LA has more advantages in attracting superstars and being a destination city than any other franchise. Boston has always had to maneuver more to get there. We have no choice.

Absolutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 12:16:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My firm belief is that Celtics fans are just way more intelligent than Laker fans. With intelligence comes patience.

As for being less competitive, being competitive and striving to be great is something engrained in the populace of all Bostonians/New Englanders.

The last two decades of Boston/New England sports pretty much shows that. 12 pro titles since 2002(13 if the Bruins win tomorrow). 4 BC, 1 BU, 1 Yale and 1 Providence NCAA Div I hockey titles since 2001. I think I am probably forgetting other possible college titles, not sure.

But competing vigorously and winning at sport is in the DNA of Bostonians/New Englanders.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:57:22 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 12:42:39 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
My firm belief is that Celtics fans are just way more intelligent than Later fans. With intelligence comes patience.

As for being less competitive, being competitive and striving to be great is something engrained in the populace of all Bostonians/New Englanders.

The last two decades of Boston/New England sports pretty much shows that. 12 pro titles since 2002(13 if the Bruins win tomorrow). 4 BC, 1 BU, 1 Yale and 1 Providence NCAA Div I hockey titles since 2001. I think I am probably forgetting other possible college titles, not sure.

But competing vigorously and winning at sport is in the DNA of Bostonians/New Englanders.

Two things.

1. The Celtics have one title since 1986, that sucks.

2. While I understand that most of us New Englanders are naturally competitive, wanting to bow out of the title race and go young is the opposite of that. I'm gutted to not be rooting for my team In this year's finals. I can't imagine starting next year knowing for certain we're not going.

I've been waiting everyday since after the 2010 loss to get back there. Every waking day checking the news, waiting for the right move to be made.

So far we have not built a superteam in a superteam era, so I'm still waiting for that.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
My firm belief is that Celtics fans are just way more intelligent than Later fans. With intelligence comes patience.

Two things.

1. The Celtics have one title since 1986, that sucks.

2. While I understand that most of us New Englanders are naturally competitive, wanting to bow out of the title race and go young is the opposite of that. I'm gutted to not be rooting for my team In this year's finals. I can't imagine starting next year knowing for certain we're not going.

I've been waiting everyday since after the 2010 loss to get back there. Every waking day checking the news, waiting for the right move to be made.

So far we have not built a superteam in a superteam era, so I'm still waiting for that.
well that last statement isn't quite true.  we did have a superteam for the first few precious moments of Gordon Hayward's first game in green.  Unfortunately, it's taking Hayward more time than generally expected to recover as well as more time to get the team on the same page in terms of offense/defensive/sacrificing for the good of the team in order to win.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Interesting thread jade and I generally agree with you. The fact that people are so ready to push Kyrie out the door is mind-boggling to me. Even if they don't like him for the future of this team, he is clearly a premium asset that you do everything you can to hold on to. I believe Danny is more of the mindset that superstars win championships - so we are lucky in that regard; unfortunately, a guy like Kyrie - somebody who was NOT homegrown - is not feeling the love and is likely looking for the door. It is a shame.

I also think it has gotten to the point where New England fans are spoiled brats. As nick mentioned, we have won so many championships as a region going back to 2002 that they think it is much easier to win one than it really is. Once Brady retires, things will become a little more 'real'. Imagine if they put in a salary cap in baseball - that would change things drastically.

Not only have New England fans reached the point of expecting to compete for championships year in and year out, but they actually have the nerve to decide who they want winning those championships.

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 01:17:15 PM »

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
Interesting thread jade and I generally agree with you. The fact that people are so ready to push Kyrie out the door is mind-boggling to me. Even if they don't like him for the future of this team, he is clearly a premium asset that you do everything you can to hold on to. I believe Danny is more of the mindset that superstars win championships - so we are lucky in that regard; unfortunately, a guy like Kyrie - somebody who was NOT homegrown - is not feeling the love and is likely looking for the door. It is a shame.

I also think it has gotten to the point where New England fans are spoiled brats. As nick mentioned, we have won so many championships as a region going back to 2002 that they think it is much easier to win one than it really is. Once Brady retires, things will become a little more 'real'. Imagine if they put in a salary cap in baseball - that would change things drastically.

Not only have New England fans reached the point of expecting to compete for championships year in and year out, but they actually have the nerve to decide who they want winning those championships.

TP for you sir, great post. It's audacity really, I'm happy to have Irving back. His talent is all that matters to me, we all have our quirks.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 01:55:23 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Used to titles in Boston especially outside of the Celtics, not so much aside from the Lakers in LA.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Why is Boston's fanbase less starstruck than LAL's?

IMO it all started with THESE TWO

The way I see it, BOS has ALWAYS been the Giant Killers...our teams throughout the years - even in 2007-08, have always seemingly been the underdogs....the talented team but not the same talent as say the Lakers...

LA is Hollywood. BOS is - well - Boston. Blue collar city...no nonsense....less glitter but more substance.....

Look at even the FANS in the stands...you'd have Jack Nicholson....Will Smith....ANY combination of Hollywood personalities cheering on LA....

This is NOT to belittle or negate ANY Lakers players...but BOS has seemingly ALWAYS been the underdogs when going up against the storied Lakers teams...

Even in 2007-08 - ALL the ESPN Analysts except for Tim Legler predicted that LA was going to beat BOS.

Star Power vs grit and grind. I would have it NO OTHER WAY.

No one said you'd be famous playing for BOS. But "IF" you suit up in Green and leave it on the floor you'll get your jersey in the rafters and get quite the welcome when you come back.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I think maybe some of those people don't understand the financial side of things...asset management. I had to explain to a friend of mine why losing Kyrie for nothing wasn't going to free up cap space for us anyway and so there would be no financial benefit. Not everyone gets that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Take a TP, sir.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston's titles have come from within with home grown talent or trades to get them.

Lakers buy their titles with free agents.

Boston expects a hard working team that doesn't take short cuts. LA expects glitz.

Boston fans go to games for the games. Laker fans go to games to be seen and to socialize. Game is secondary.

Most Laker fans a player fans. When that player moves on, they do also. Most Celtics fans cheer for the team and not individual players.