Author Topic: Thybulle Celtics promise?  (Read 10114 times)

Re: Thybulle Celtics promise?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 06:28:56 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
It would be pretty easy for Boston to know if New Orleans is interested in any of this year's picks without having the deal completely worked out. Chances are they are not interested in any of them.

Teams are always interested in draft picks.  They're not going to willfully keep them out of a deal.

It could be that there's a framework of a deal in place, but I find that doubtful.  I think it's more likely that there's no promise at all, since the reporting on these promises has been way off in recent years.

New Orleans already has the #1 pick in this year's draft. They're committed to the quaranteed money associated with it for years, along with the other salary milestones associated with it. I doubt they want to add more first round contracts to the same timeline. They probably want the Memphis pick, which would have a different timeline.

At any rate, Thybulle passed on the the combine, which is odd for a player projected to go late in the first round unless he has a promise from someone. The rumors have been that his promise is from either OKC or Boston. Boston can take him with the 20th pick before OKC has a chance to draft him.

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It would be pretty easy for Boston to know if New Orleans is interested in any of this year's picks without having the deal completely worked out. Chances are they are not interested in any of them.

Teams are always interested in draft picks.  They're not going to willfully keep them out of a deal.

It could be that there's a framework of a deal in place, but I find that doubtful.  I think it's more likely that there's no promise at all, since the reporting on these promises has been way off in recent years.

New Orleans already has the #1 pick in this year's draft. They're committed to the quaranteed money associated with it for years, along with the other salary milestones associated with it. I doubt they want to add more first round contracts to the same timeline. They probably want the Memphis pick, which would have a different timeline.

At any rate, Thybulle passed on the the combine, which is odd for a player projected to go late in the first round unless he has a promise from someone. The rumors have been that his promise is from either OKC or Boston. Boston can take him with the 20th pick before OKC has a chance to draft him.

Rookie contracts are some of the best value in the NBA. You don't pass on first rounders just because you don't want to pay them (with the exception of very late first rounders, like 25-30, since you could get similar players on non-guaranteed contracts in the early second round). What "timeline" the first rounders are on will only matter if multiple picks turn into good players they want to keep, in which case getting the picks was absolutely worth it

They probably want the Memphis pick, too. It's not an either/or
I'm bitter.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 08:08:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
2nd round promise I hope. Sure he hustles on D but it's a zone scheme that's what you do in zone. Guy can't shoot, struggles dribbling, struggles passing and isn't physical. I like him as a college player but NBA no. He is senior guard who is like 2 years behind in overall skills development and may have simply peaked already. I see European player.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 08:16:02 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
If he struggles on screens forget it.
There are very few Marcus Smarts that have that core strength with length.

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 08:39:47 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Forget defense..i want offense!!..Warriors win with offense not defense

Bingo. We need shooters.

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 09:53:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
2nd round promise I hope. Sure he hustles on D but it's a zone scheme that's what you do in zone. Guy can't shoot, struggles dribbling, struggles passing and isn't physical. I like him as a college player but NBA no. He is senior guard who is like 2 years behind in overall skills development and may have simply peaked already. I see European player.
you may very well have watched thybulle more than i have and know more. but from what i have seen this guy is not the product of a zone defense. incredible hustle and defensive smarts. his shooting at 3 pointers is poor, 30.5%. but his FT is 85%. so, there is hope, especially given smart's progression.

i watched the videos, only a few, and came away impressed by his effort and smarts on defense.

we are talking bottom 1/3 of the first round. the likelihood that there will be a player with a nba skill there is low. thybulle has one clear nba skill - great defense.

assuming he does not develop an outside shot, and that is quite likely, i see a super-semi role for thybulle. play 15 minutes a night of shutdown defense on someone. energy off the bench.

he is 22 years old. but at #20 or so, they all have flaws, but they all don't have a nba skill.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 10:25:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
you may very well have watched thybulle more than i have and know more. but from what i have seen this guy is not the product of a zone defense. incredible hustle and defensive smarts. his shooting at 3 pointers is poor, 30.5%. but his FT is 85%. so, there is hope, especially given smart's progression.

i watched the videos, only a few, and came away impressed by his effort and smarts on defense.

we are talking bottom 1/3 of the first round. the likelihood that there will be a player with a nba skill there is low. thybulle has one clear nba skill - great defense.

assuming he does not develop an outside shot, and that is quite likely, i see a super-semi role for thybulle. play 15 minutes a night of shutdown defense on someone. energy off the bench.

he is 22 years old. but at #20 or so, they all have flaws, but they all don't have a nba skill.
And more to that point he was only poor from there this season. 38% from 3 for the rest of his college career, with 2 of those 3 seasons being at the same level of attempts or higher
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
If Thybulle is about a "trade" that's fine....If he's coming here? We already have him...

At 6'7" 241lbs can handle NBA size. Smart kid, excellent passer, can slash and can score from outside.

He was AAC player of the year and tournament MVP.

He averaged 18.9 ppg and 6.8 ribbies at his school.

Out of HS he was top ten in the recruiting class and committed to a top 5 school.

I also forgot to mention? He can play defense on pretty much anyone in the NBA. He is a cement block, low center of gravity and he wants to win.

The best part of this is Semi is already on the roster and Stevens just won't play him and when he does? Semi isn't allowed to play offense.

My point is that I see Semi as good as any rookie we have a shot at in the draft for this "type", plus, he already has two years of experience.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 12:42:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If Thybulle is about a "trade" that's fine....If he's coming here? We already have him...

At 6'7" 241lbs can handle NBA size. Smart kid, excellent passer, can slash and can score from outside.

He was AAC player of the year and tournament MVP.

He averaged 18.9 ppg and 6.8 ribbies at his school.

Out of HS he was top ten in the recruiting class and committed to a top 5 school.

I also forgot to mention? He can play defense on pretty much anyone in the NBA. He is a cement block, low center of gravity and he wants to win.

The best part of this is Semi is already on the roster and Stevens just won't play him and when he does? Semi isn't allowed to play offense.

My point is that I see Semi as good as any rookie we have a shot at in the draft for this "type", plus, he already has two years of experience.

Thybulle is a G/F defender , where as Semi is main a F/PF defender

end of the day, we all know CBS and Danny like these type of players.   Good at defense and have them focus on "tidying up" on offense

I wouldn't be surprise one second if Thybulle is drafted with the 22nd pick

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 12:46:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
The one guy I hope the Celts are able to draft is Brandon Clarke who is all over draft mock boards

8-19 range

He looks like a very good "fit" under CBS, small ball system.   Can guard all over the floor, but also rebound and is a top notch shot blocker

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 02:31:21 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The one guy I hope the Celts are able to draft is Brandon Clarke who is all over draft mock boards

8-19 range

He looks like a very good "fit" under CBS, small ball system.   Can guard all over the floor, but also rebound and is a top notch shot blocker
he is a skilled player. but he is almost 23 years old and his wing span is 6'8.25". crocodile territory. but at 14, virtually everyone will have some sort of flaw.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

8-19 range

he is a skilled player. but he is almost 23 years old and his wing span is 6'8.25". crocodile territory. but at 14, virtually everyone will have some sort of flaw.

This is true

His wingspan and reach is SG-SF territory. Plus age

Due to this...could drop

I still like what he brings to the table

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2019, 03:08:24 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

8-19 range

I Like Alexander Walker at 14

6-5 pg/sg with a 6-9 wingspan who can create, handle the ball and shoot/drive to rim on very solid shooting percentages.

Kid can to everything very well, just isnt great at anything.

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

8-19 range

6-5 pg/sg with a 6-9 wingspan who can create, handle the ball and shoot/drive to rim on very solid shooting percentages.

Who?

Havent seen such player listed anywhere in the 1st round

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 03:26:19 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

8-19 range

Who?

Havent seen such player listed anywhere in the 1st round
He is talking about Nick Alexander Walker. He is a first round likely player.