Author Topic: Is LeBron the Captain of the All Overrated team?  (Read 9566 times)

Re: Is LeBron the Captain of the All Overrated team?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 06:23:45 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think LeBron is much of a leader.   He is a guy who can carry the load on his team, but leadership other than I am going to try to win this game by myself type, is not something he possesses as a trait. In fact, he has turned on his team mates before and we all know he will demand this or that trade.   

I know he wants to own a team.   But he better hire a GM because some of these mid season trades have come back to bite him.

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 06:36:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Kobe. He’s a top-15 player, but the hype machine had him neck and neck with Jordan. The only reason he has 5 titles is because Shaq carried him to three of them (and the refs gave him another).

With his talent he should have been even better, but he never trusted his teammates.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
CP3. For all the hype as being the best PG of his generation, his post season record is not something to look at despite finally reaching the conference finals this season.

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 07:29:18 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If you think Barkley was overhyped you never watched Barkley back then.
I watched him get whacked every post season.

He joined a Sixers team that had just won the championship and made it worse.

Then he joined a Suns team, went to one who finals and got shellacked.

Then he joined Drexler and Olojuwon where they had a great year....and then got shellacked.

He's not just a guy who never won a big one. He's a guy that hardly ever got to big ones and did it with teams that had recently won, and then still didn't get back.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
CP3. For all the hype as being the best PG of his generation, his post season record is not something to look at despite finally reaching the conference finals this season.

That whole Clippers team is a great answer

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:27 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
First let me say that calling someone or something overrated doesn't mean that they're bad. They're just not as good as people make them out to be. I won't list guys like Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis because I don't believe they're big enough names to be "overrated." Saying that my list looks like this.

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Pete Maravich
3. Dominique Wilkins
4. Carmelo Anyhony
5. Vince Carter
6. Patrick Ewing
7. Allen Iverson
8. Steve Nash
9. Dwight Howard
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Soon it should be time to make the underrated team

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:20 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
Just about any Spurs team if you're talking to my friends. I have to defend them and they call them "dull, boring and forgetful."
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I would say AI is more overrated than TMac.

Woah woah woah.  AI dragged a horrid team to the finals. TMac never made a conference finals and had a very hard time just making it to round two.

Which brings me to another guy......Dwight Howard. Not really Superman worthy.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 07:33:32 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Just about any Spurs team if you're talking to my friends. I have to defend them and they call them "dull, boring and forgetful."
Duncan takes LeBron to the wood shed every day of the week.

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 07:37:33 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
Duncan takes LeBron to the wood shed every day of the week.
Hey, in my book Duncan is the best player of his generation.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't know if Lebron is overrated since he has had so much success over a long period of time  with incredible stats. However, one narrative has always bothered my about Lebron and that is that he elevates his teammates; I just think that is totally untrue.

While he is clearly a leader on the court and one of the best 'Point Forwards' ever, I actually generally think other players decline when they play with Lebron (and improve when they leave). If you take this current version of the Cavs. Hill, Clarkson, Hood, and Nance Jr were all clearly better players before coming to CLE. Love put up bigger stats with Minny, but the team was also horrible so of course his numbers were going to take a hit. Korver has had some success, but I think it's because his role as a catch and shoot 3-point shooter is perfect in a Lebron system.

It's not that Lebron can't control a game - clearly he can - but unless you're a player with the ultimate confidence (see JR Smith), you can never really have success on a Lebron team if any part of your game depends on making moves with the ball - you just won't ever have that opportunity. He'll trust a player like Kyrie to take over part of the game, but everybody else just walks around on eggshells wondering when the time will come that he will yell at them.

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2018, 07:56:07 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I don't think CP3 is overrated though.  If anything the national narrative reinforces his lack of playoff success.  CP3 deserves to be included on a very short list of the best point guards of this generation.  His playoff failures are holding him back from consideration as one the the GOAT's at the PG position.  I'm not normally a fan of all-time lists but here is a recent ranking of the top 70 PG's from the Orlando magic site on NBA.com.  They ranked Paul at #13 which seems pretty fair to me.     

http://www.nba.com/magic/ranking-70-top-point-guards-history-11-20180131

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I don't think CP3 is overrated though.  If anything the national narrative reinforces his lack of playoff success.  CP3 deserves to be included on a very short list of the best point guards of this generation.  His playoff failures are holding him back from consideration as one the the GOAT's at the PG position.  I'm not normally a fan of all-time lists but here is a recent ranking of the top 70 PG's from the Orlando magic site on NBA.com.  They ranked Paul at #13 which seems pretty fair to me.     

I wouldn't put CP3 above the Glove. Payton is the sole point guard who won DPOY in NBA history, challenging the 72-10 Bulls in the NBA finals in 6 games. Not to mention, he have more conference finals appearance while leading his team.

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

It's hard to be call someone as the best PG of an era if you don't show up when it matters for years and years. I feel like the last time he played this healthy and long in the postseason was the game 7 NOLA vs SAS series.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."