Author Topic: Is LeBron the Captain of the All Overrated team?  (Read 9671 times)

Is LeBron the Captain of the All Overrated team?
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Who ya got for most overrated and overhyped NBA players of all time?

I got

Lebron. I mean do all stars help him brush his teeth? Seriously, how many all stars does it take to help LeBron screw in a lightbulb in Cleveland? An ultimate quitter.

Wilt. I think Bill Russell still owns the deed on this guy.

Charles Barkley.

Dwayne Wade

Yao Ming...or was it Ouch Ming?

TMac

Sometimes I argue with myself about Hakeem Olajuwon. Would we think of him the same way had MJ not gone to play baseball? I guess not. I'm not so sure how many people elevate him tremendously over say Karl Malone or David Robinson

David Robinson.  Got lucky in the strike season with Duncan then won another as Duncan's backup essentially.

Re: Is LeBron the Captain of the All Overrated team?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Steve Nash is a guy I find overrated. I really like his game, but I disagree with his accolades (notably MVP), as he was a weak defender and I think his numbers were inflated.

I would say AI is more overrated than TMac.

Draymond Green is well on his way to making this team.

I also disagree with Hakeem and Wilt being there.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's lost 5 times in the finals Lol

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Who ya got for most overrated and overhyped NBA players of all time?

I got

Lebron. I mean do all stars help him brush his teeth? Seriously, how many all stars does it take to help LeBron screw in a lightbulb in Cleveland? An ultimate quitter.

Wilt. I think Bill Russell still owns the deed on this guy.

Charles Barkley.

Dwayne Wade

Yao Ming...or was it Ouch Ming?

TMac

Sometimes I argue with myself about Hakeem Olajuwon. Would we think of him the same way had MJ not gone to play baseball? I guess not. I'm not so sure how many people elevate him tremendously over say Karl Malone or David Robinson

David Robinson.  Got lucky in the strike season with Duncan then won another as Duncan's backup essentially.

Well, you picked on one of my favorites, so I'm gonna have to throw down the gauntlet. ;D I think David Robinson was actually underrated.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:58 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
After Bill was done owing Wilt in Philly and Wilt moved to LA Bill owned him there too. But then Bill retired and the Knicks started owning him too.

Wilt's free throw percentage in one year was 38%. I think most of us could do better blindfolded.

Just a totally overhyped guy that figured out how to do the LaVar Ball thing ahead of its time.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
After Bill was done owing Wilt in Philly and Wilt moved to LA Bill owned him there too. But then Bill retired and the Knicks started owning him too.

Wilt's free throw percentage in one year was 38%. I think most of us could do better blindfolded.

Just a totally overhyped guy that figured out how to do the LaVar Ball thing ahead of its time.
That's all well and good, but when nobody has matched your career averages in a single season I think you're pretty good

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:39:44 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
LBJ is a top 5 player, so cannot be overhyped lol.

Most over-hyped I'd say Kobe. I think Harden/Steph/Wade were/will be better scoring guards. Westbrook was trending on that list but I think the past two years have shown his warts pretty clearly.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 01:05:05 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If you think Barkley was overhyped you never watched Barkley back then.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 01:27:25 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Seriously? Olajuwon was incredible, and only McHale can best him in terms of post moves, imo. I also don't understand as to how people just believe that it's a given that Chicago would have beaten either version of those Houston teams that won back to back titles, as the Bulls simply had no answer for Hakeem during both of Chicago's three-peats.

Steve Nash is a guy I find overrated. I really like his game, but I disagree with his accolades (notably MVP), as he was a weak defender and I think his numbers were inflated.

I would say AI is more overrated than TMac.

Draymond Green is well on his way to making this team.

I also disagree with Hakeem and Wilt being there.

Agree on Draymond. Absolutely.

LBJ is a top 5 player, so cannot be overhyped lol.

Most over-hyped I'd say Kobe. I think Harden/Steph/Wade were/will be better scoring guards. Westbrook was trending on that list but I think the past two years have shown his warts pretty clearly.

I'm with you on Westbrook, definitely, and I'd have to add Carmelo Anthony to this list, as well. Joe Johnson was much better, imo, but somehow, and along with Pierce and Michael Redd, he just never got the recognition.

Dirk and Shaq also belong on eja's team, imo.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 01:28:54 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Reggie Miller.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 01:38:49 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’m not going to do it now but will eventually go on a rant about how David Robinson may be the most underrated player ever.

That said, I’ve always thought Iverson was one of the most overrated players ever. Nash certainly belongs, as does Westbrook. Kobe was undoubtedly a great, great talent, but he’s not nearly where some like to place him. If Wilt was as dominant as his numbers suggested, he wouldn’t have “let” Russell win 11 championships.

LeBron, however, is as good as he was advertised, which is saying a lot because he was the most hyped prospect EVER. The guy actually lived up to expectations. Whether you rank him as GOAT (wrong) or top 10-15, he’s one of the greatest to ever play. Yes, he’s a whiner. Yes, he had The Decision debacle. But his success is undeniable. The guy has done some pretty extraordinary things in his career. When all is said and done, he will be the statistical GOAT, along with multiple rings, MVP’s and Finals MVP’s.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 02:10:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I’m not going to do it now but will eventually go on a rant about how David Robinson may be the most underrated player ever.

That said, I’ve always thought Iverson was one of the most overrated players ever. Nash certainly belongs, as does Westbrook. Kobe was undoubtedly a great, great talent, but he’s not nearly where some like to place him. If Wilt was as dominant as his numbers suggested, he wouldn’t have “let” Russell win 11 championships.

LeBron, however, is as good as he was advertised, which is saying a lot because he was the most hyped prospect EVER. The guy actually lived up to expectations. Whether you rank him as GOAT (wrong) or top 10-15, he’s one of the greatest to ever play. Yes, he’s a whiner. Yes, he had The Decision debacle. But his success is undeniable. The guy has done some pretty extraordinary things in his career. When all is said and done, he will be the statistical GOAT, along with multiple rings, MVP’s and Finals MVP’s.
I have David Robinson over Hakeem, who imo is the most overrated center of all time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I have David Robinson over Hakeem, who imo is the most overrated center of all time.
This one has always been super tough for me. Prime Robinson was a 25/12/3/3+/1+ guy, whereas prime Hakeem was pretty much identical, except probably a better rebounder and worse scorer.

I feel as if Robinson is underrated, whereas Hakeem is merely accurately rated.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

This one has always been super tough for me. Prime Robinson was a 25/12/3/3+/1+ guy, whereas prime Hakeem was pretty much identical, except probably a better rebounder and worse scorer.

I feel as if Robinson is underrated, whereas Hakeem is merely accurately rated.
Hakeem and Robinson played against each other during their primes numerous times. Hakeem outplayed him, there is no doubt about that. He had more team and individual success. David never was as good of a scorer as Hakeem. Sure, the Admiral led the league in scoring, but he could be shut down in the postseason, teams could prepare for him, whether the Dream was unstoppable. He had too many moves, too soft of a touch, too refined footwork for the opposition, and of course, he had the ultimate confidence that culminated in his B2B domination that netted two championships.

To me, overall Robinson was a better defender than he was the offensive player. Physically, his body was better than Aytons or that of any center today. I remember him defending with great success (include Shaq) even in his last playoff runs.
7'2'', long, strong, explosive, moves lateraly, disciplined - a specimen, NAT GEO level.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 06:05:44 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
Anyone who lists hakeem olajuwon as overrated before any mention of kevin garnett makes me wonder...lol