Poll

Was Marcus a hit pick?

Yes
No
Sort of

Author Topic: So, after all is said and done, is Marcus a "hit" draft pick  (Read 16378 times)

Re: So, after all is said and done, is Marcus a "hit" draft pick
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2018, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Of all the players we realistically would have picked with the 6th pick he is easily the best.
Yeah. Realistically there weren't very many good players that were going to be picked 6th. Although Ainge was going to pick Durant first (wink wink) and he picked Jaylen over the field, so....here we are

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2018, 12:14:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's hard to complain when you get "key contributor in winning plays, defense, and overall team culture on a contender" with the sixth overall pick in a relatively weak draft.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2018, 12:47:31 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's hard to complain when you get "key contributor in winning plays, defense, and overall team culture on a contender" with the sixth overall pick in a relatively weak draft.
But in a weak draft you don't "hit" with many picks right?

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2018, 02:08:49 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
i think he was a hit, especially when you look at stauskas, vonleh etc. Exum could still turn it around, but he could be another one too

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2018, 03:45:47 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
i think he was a hit, especially when you look at stauskas, vonleh etc. Exum could still turn it around, but he could be another one too
Vonleh is still a weird one to me. Has all the physical tools (6'10", 240lbs, 7'4" wingspan, decent vertical leap) yet has just never put it all together. He was playing pretty solid ball with Chicago at the end of the year though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'd look at it like this - for the 6th pick, from the available pool, who would have been a better to pick for the C's team other than Smart?

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2018, 10:32:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Vonleh is still a weird one to me. Has all the physical tools (6'10", 240lbs, 7'4" wingspan, decent vertical leap) yet has just never put it all together. He was playing pretty solid ball with Chicago at the end of the year though.

Yeah, I had Vonleh pretty high on my draft board in 2014, although I started to sour in him during the workout process when there were rumors he was being recalcitrant during interviews and workouts (which seemed to be borne out by being selected 9th and then not doing much as a pro).

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2018, 11:41:29 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm tempted to put up a poll to further gauge people's attitude to the Smart deal, but no.

I remember when the Avery 4 year ~32million deal dropped in 2014, and people lost their mind. By year 4 it was one of the best contracts in the NBA. Avery struggled in Detroit, but so do a lot of guys.

So my question is how can it be compared to that deal?

11.2million or whatever it is reaaally isn't that much more, especially by 2018.

SO.. 1) Is Marcus more useful to this team (his heart and Celticsishness aside)

2) Would you trade him straight up for Avery's 2 year deal (chemistry building aside)

3) Are you confident that by the end of year one, the remaining three years will look stupidly cheap?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Marcus Smart is a 'hit' in the same way that if you went fishing and you caught a few legal sized fish, enough for a good dinner with your family.

Yeah, it was a success, but not the monster you'd hoped for.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2018, 12:07:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He isn't even one of the 10 best players in the draft though.  Weak or not if you don't live up to your draft position you are a miss.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
He isn't even one of the 10 best players in the draft though.  Weak or not if you don't live up to your draft position you are a miss.

He’s better than 2 of the 5 players picked ahead of him, and all of the 5 players picked immediately after him.

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm tempted to put up a poll to further gauge people's attitude to the Smart deal, but no.

I remember when the Avery 4 year ~32million deal dropped in 2014, and people lost their mind. By year 4 it was one of the best contracts in the NBA. Avery struggled in Detroit, but so do a lot of guys.

So my question is how can it be compared to that deal?

11.2million or whatever it is reaaally isn't that much more, especially by 2018.

SO.. 1) Is Marcus more useful to this team (his heart and Celticsishness aside)

2) Would you trade him straight up for Avery's 2 year deal (chemistry building aside)

3) Are you confident that by the end of year one, the remaining three years will look stupidly cheap?

Great questions!

1) Yes. For this specific team, Smart is more useful. Bradley is a better shooter, but he had slowed down imo in terms of his defensive tenacity after he signed his contract. He got exploited by Kyrie and others in big games, and was a poor ball handler and passer. Smart is the most tenacious defender by far on the team, his attitude drives the rest of our defense, similar to KG. His ball handling and passing also is the better compliment to Kyrie, Jaylen and Rozier.

2) No way.

3) Yes, easily, as long as he avoids serious injury. Smarts deal will look like a bargain by next summer. My only concern is that with his style of play and injury history, his body may not hold up.

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2018, 12:16:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He’s better than 2 of the 5 players picked ahead of him, and all of the 5 players picked immediately after him.
Yep, but he isn't a top 10 player from his draft class.  Just because other GM's also failed that year doesn't make Smart a hit.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2018, 12:34:28 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yep, but he isn't a top 10 player from his draft class.  Just because other GM's also failed that year doesn't make Smart a hit.

It doesn’t make him not a hit either.  Even if I stipulate that you are correct that he’s not a top 10 player from that year (and I’ve seen your list and there are some very debatable choices ahead of him), he has been an incredibly valuable player to this team, which is why he was just re-signed to a new 4-year contract.  It feels like the anti-Smarters around here are continuing to ignore what many of us have said, that the Celtics very much value Smart, even after his signing of a new deal that some feel is over market rate.  Can it not be that, in fact, the Celtics have a heck of a lot better info as to what constitutes value than you?  If you make a pick, and he works out to get starter level minutes from you for all four years of his rookie deal, while you make the playoffs all four of those years, AND you are able to keep him beyond that rookie contract for another four years, then yes, he’s a straight up hit, no qualifications or silly redraft exercises needed.

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It doesn’t make him not a hit either.  Even if I stipulate that you are correct that he’s not a top 10 player from that year (and I’ve seen your list and there are some very debatable choices ahead of him), he has been an incredibly valuable player to this team, which is why he was just re-signed to a new 4-year contract.  It feels like the anti-Smarters around here are continuing to ignore what many of us have said, that the Celtics very much value Smart, even after his signing of a new deal that some feel is over market rate.  Can it not be that, in fact, the Celtics have a heck of a lot better info as to what constitutes value than you?  If you make a pick, and he works out to get starter level minutes from you for all four years of his rookie deal, while you make the playoffs all four of those years, AND you are able to keep him beyond that rookie contract for another four years, then yes, he’s a straight up hit, no qualifications or silly redraft exercises needed.

Absolutely spot-on. 

It certainly takes more mental gymnastics to try and label Smart a "miss" than it is to label him a "hit".   Lot of silly stretching going on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team