Author Topic: The 2nd best point guard in the 2019 draft projected to fall to us?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I know it’s incredibly early but at the moment, it seems the worst case scenario with a 13th pick we can draft the 2nd best ranked point guard in the upcoming draft

Both nbadraft.net and tankathon  have us projected to take Darius Garland from Vanderbilt

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Rozier replacement?

https://youtu.be/Q4F9eyCYjfQ

Re: The 2nd best point guard in the 2019 draft projected to fall to us?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 06:36:27 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I like the idea of taking a guard early to replace Rozier.  I haven't seen Garland play, but his 47.8% 3 point shooting is impressive.  I also think we'd need to add a veteran.  Perhaps, Lin with the MLE.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd be thrilled if we got the chance to get a shot at Tre Jones, Charles Bassey, Daniel Gafford and Grant Williams (slightly lesser known, but is awesome for Tennessee) to fill up our bench / use as trade chips.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 10:06:36 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The only reason he’ll potentially fall to us is because he’s out for the year with injury. In theory, we can select 2 top 10 talents (Porter is the other) in the late teens.

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 11:04:45 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I like the idea of taking a guard early to replace Rozier.  I haven't seen Garland play, but his 47.8% 3 point shooting is impressive.  I also think we'd need to add a veteran.  Perhaps, Lin with the MLE.
The kid is an awesome player. He may get drafted in the top 10. He should be fully healthy by the time draft workouts commence. I would love to replace Rozier with Garland. He's more of a scorer but can facilitate as well. He's a bit turnover prone but so was Trae Young, as is Ja Morant who's ranked a top 5 prospect right now. I'm not comparing the two though.

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I like Morant and Garland, but I think if Rozier is gone Danny will go for a combo guard and not a pure PG.

Not sure who...someone like Grimes or Coby White with a later pick..

I think in late lottery he'll go for a big like Porter, or a down the road possible Morris replacement ...Hachimura or Hunter...or if available the appealing Keldon Johnson. 

Though I guess Garland or Morant could both be very attractive to a lot of teams and be could potential picks to trade...

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:11:36 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The only reason he’ll potentially fall to us is because he’s out for the year with injury. In theory, we can select 2 top 10 talents (Porter is the other) in the late teens.

I would love to get Porter.  He's 6'11 and very skilled and in my opinion has a good head for the game.  The knock against him is his strength and athleticism.  He was supposed to be a high school senior last year and reclassified to play with his brother.  He only turned 18 after the college season started last year.  His body fat measured high at the combine.  That can be corrected through hard work in the gym which should also improve his athleticism.

I like what I'm reading about Garland.  Getting both could be a coup.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 01:26:10 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

I would love to get Porter.  He's 6'11 and very skilled and in my opinion has a good head for the game.  The knock against him is his strength and athleticism.  He was supposed to be a high school senior last year and reclassified to play with his brother.  He only turned 18 after the college season started last year.  His body fat measured high at the combine.  That can be corrected through hard work in the gym which should also improve his athleticism.

I like what I'm reading about Garland.  Getting both could be a coup.
Good points. Not to mention one of Porter's strengths is 3 point shooting at a .364 clip and almost 7 RPG. Watch some highlights and you'll see a nice stroke and he has nice length. Not as athletic as his brother. He fits the profile for BS type of player. Good free throw shooter as well.

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 02:29:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Living near Nashville,  I'm very skeptical on all Vanderbilt players. I wouldn't get too excited about it. The last major prospect,  Ezeli, hasn't done very much.  I'm not even sure he is still in the league.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 03:32:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i think ainge will package some picks to move up a bit. then he will pick the best player available, regardless of position.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva