Author Topic: Jodie Meeks  (Read 3582 times)

Jodie Meeks
« on: January 13, 2009, 11:15:52 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I don't know if anyone just watched, but Jodie Meeks just put together one of the sickest performances I've seen in college basketball.  He just dropped 54 on Tennessee while playing awesome defense.  He grabbed 9 rebounds, was 10-15 for 3's and 14-14 from the free throw line.  Absolutely unbelievable.
do it

Re: Jodie Meeks
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:06:42 AM »

Offline Pierce4Prez

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
  • They're gonna call it a hard foul!?!?
He has had some prolific scoring games this season, especially considering he averaged 8.7 and 8.8 ppg in his first two seasons.

Some of his biggest games this season to date...

39 pts vs. VMI
37 pts vs. Kansas State
46 pts vs. Appalachian State
32 pts vs. Tennessee State
54 pts vs. Tennessee

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
He has had some prolific scoring games this season, especially considering he averaged 8.7 and 8.8 ppg in his first two seasons.

Some of his biggest games this season to date...

39 pts vs. VMI
37 pts vs. Kansas State
46 pts vs. Appalachian State
32 pts vs. Tennessee State
54 pts vs. Tennessee

WOW, really? How is this guy not in the player of the year discussion then? If Stephon Curry can be talked about just because he's a little 130 pound rascal who drops threes on the big boys, why not somebody who's put together some incredible scoring performances for a big time program?

I've seen Meeks play once this season, and I was impressed not only with his basketball skills, but with his calm under pressure and excellent conditioning. Anyone know where's he's projected to go in the draft?
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
I think last night he put himself in the player of the year discussion.  Player of the year is a pretty political thing, the 3 main candidates are going to be Hansbrough, Blake Griffin and Stephen Curry and that is probably not going to change unless there is an injury somewhere.  I have been very impressed with Meeks though, he has an all around game.  Also, his draft stock hasn't really been discussed, he's kind of surprised everyone this year with this kind of performance.  He has legit off guard size I think as he is 6'4.  He's also extremely athletic, I would think if he continues to put up these numbers he'd be a lottery pick.  Just looking at NBAdraft.net, they have Gerald Henderson projected as the 16th pick.  I personally think he projects as a better NBA player then him.
do it

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
anyone else see Bobby knight call curry "the best passer to play in college basketball in the last 10 years" last night?

I think steph is a pretty good passer, but i can think of some guys (CP3, Dwill, Harris, numerous others) who i think are better passers than curry.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
anyone else see Bobby knight call curry "the best passer to play in college basketball in the last 10 years" last night?

I think steph is a pretty good passer, but i can think of some guys (CP3, Dwill, Harris, numerous others) who i think are better passers than curry.

I saw that and thought the exact same thing... Curry is a great college pure scorer who is developing his passing... Make no mistake, it's pretty good at the college level but not "best of the last ten years."

You hit a few of the guys who were better passers then Curry in their day (although Deron Williams really hit his stride in the pros)

I loved Mateen Cleaves in college and I think he was definitely a better passer then Curry. Jay Williams and Jameer Nelson too were outstanding... Juan Dixon in the tournament can't really be argued with either.

Curry is good and getting better, but he's not there AS A PASSER yet. Scoring-wise, he's definitely up there.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Jodie Meeks reminds me of Jason terry..

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:20:36 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I am confused by Jodie Meeks.

How does a guy flip a light switch so clearly between year 2 and 3.

last year, in 23 minutes his stats : 9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 30% fg,  79% ft, and 32% from 3 point range.

This year, in 33 minutes his stats : 26 points, 3.6 rebounds, 48% fg, 92% ft, and 45% from 3 point range.

Did the kid learn how to play ball, or did he have some injury the previous two years that prevented him from playing up to his potential?  the jump in shooting percentages seems greater then anything I can remember seeing

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:51:27 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
I am confused by Jodie Meeks.

How does a guy flip a light switch so clearly between year 2 and 3.

last year, in 23 minutes his stats : 9 points, 2.5 rebounds, 30% fg,  79% ft, and 32% from 3 point range.

This year, in 33 minutes his stats : 26 points, 3.6 rebounds, 48% fg, 92% ft, and 45% from 3 point range.

Did the kid learn how to play ball, or did he have some injury the previous two years that prevented him from playing up to his potential?  the jump in shooting percentages seems greater then anything I can remember seeing

Freshman year, he was inconsistent like most freshmen, but he did show flashes if you check out the game logs.  Last year he was hurt for majority of the year and only played 11 games.  Also, like you mentioned, I think he improved his shooting.
do it