Author Topic: BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill...then loses to Harvard!  (Read 10366 times)

BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill...then loses to Harvard!
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:53:47 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I love the Celts, but I have just finished watching the best hoops game of the day.

#1 UNC loses at home to unranked BC  85 -78

BC lead by 6 at the half and was leading by at least 15 midway through the 2nd half and hung one to win by 7.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:08:56 AM by Redz »
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

Re: BC upsets #1 UNC in Chapel Hill
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:47 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
wow. How did they do it? With offense or defense? UNC looked untouchable to me every time I saw them play, but I think in the end this should help the team achieve its ultimate goal (a championship) because they won't have that undefeated monkey on their back.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
really they won it on hustle and taking it directly to the basket. 

Perhaps there was some luck involved, but the thing is the #1 team in the country has been upset at home by BC.

Sweet!

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
As a BC alum, I am truly pumped and shocked that this happened.  Didn't see something like this happening, this year with this team.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
As a BC alum, I am truly pumped and shocked that this happened.  Didn't see something like this happening, this year with this team.

I am not a BC alum, but a fan of the program and didn't think this team had the horses to even play in the NIT.  If they go .500 or better in the ACC, Skinner is to be highly commended.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Of course, good BC news comes with the bad.  ::)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3810186

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:39:43 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
wow that could get nasty.

If I am Jags, I don't interview unless I am really certain about something, that's a ton of cash that could be on the line.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 09:44:44 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
What a great win for BC!  I watched most of the game, when BC was up 14ish with about 10 minutes left I kept track of how many fouls BC and UNC would be called for.  BC got called for I believe 15 fouls in the final 10 minutes compared to just 5 by UNC, and 4 of them were when they were intentionally fouling.  I'm glad BC was able to hold on and win it.  It should be interesting where they end up in the ACC, they're better than the preseason rankings of 11th that's for sure. 

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 09:48:17 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
What a great win for BC!  I watched most of the game, when BC was up 14ish with about 10 minutes left I kept track of how many fouls BC and UNC would be called for.  BC got called for I believe 15 fouls in the final 10 minutes compared to just 5 by UNC, and 4 of them were when they were intentionally fouling.  I'm glad BC was able to hold on and win it.  It should be interesting where they end up in the ACC, they're better than the preseason rankings of 11th that's for sure. 

I felt as if the refs and the announcers both were on UNC's side

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Yep, I'm not as mad as I would normally be after a Celts loss because that was a heck of a game by BC.

I was scared before the game that UNC would come away with yet another blowout win against BC, because at times it's way too easy for opponents (especially opponents filled with lightning-fast lottery picks) to score fast break buckets against the Eagles' style of play. But BC did an excellent job of getting back on defense the whole game, and most notably when Rakim Sanders chased down Wayne Ellington from behind and stuffed his layup attempt. One of the keys to game was that Sanders came out of the gate on fire. He's an off and on guy who at this stage in his career is very unpredictable. He scored 18 in the 1st half mostly via the three ball, including a baseline dagger to beat the buzzer at the end of the half. Rice also shot the ball well, and the freshman Reggie Jackson (whose game reminds me of former Oregon star Aaron Brooks) was fearless, pitching in I believe 17 points. The defense was the key. Just getting back, as I mentioned before, was crucial. Both Josh Southern and Courtney Dunn (who played surprisingly well) defeneded Hansborough to the best of their abilities. Rice decisively won the pg battle with Lawson on both sides of the ball - he looked during this contest like a guy who might have a shot at the next level.

All in all, great effort and execution on both ends, which is what they needed to take down the country's top team. BC has 1 senior, 1 junior (Roche, who's a bum anyway), and everyone else is a sophomore or freshman, and they beat the number 1 team in America in their first conference game of the season. That's quite an accomplishment.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 10:15:46 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Tyrese Rice loves playing against UNC for whatever reason.  I remember him blowing up for forty-something last year when they met - BC went into halftime with the lead, but Rice got no help in the second half.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 10:21:12 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"

The announcers were completely biassed for UNC early on, and then shut up once they realized how well BC was playing. Bonner did point out a number of times how well BC's bigs were playing Hansborough (he scored 21 but didn't shoot a very good percentage, and anyone watching could see he was contained). Some of the calls down the stretch were ridiculous, but they'll call anything for Hansborough so I wasn't surprised about that.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Unbelievable, great for BC.  UNC has looked like a pro team so far this year, they've played in 75% of the basketball games i've watched over the past few months (they show maybe 2 NBA games and 4 college games a week where I am).  hopefully this starts a little run...

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:32:32 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
That was a great game and a huge upset. I loved how comcast decided to have tecknical difficulties with 1:30 left, and a 5 point game. When it finally came back on their was 4 seconds left. Thank god BC came out on top.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The refs are always biased towards UNC. I go to BC (so I am probably biased towards them), but every time we play them we get absolutely no calls (even when we were ranked with Smith and Dudley). Hansboro got a call every time he went up despite the defense.
Now on to the team, Rice is the real deal they have a bunch of athletic 2-3 guys like Sanders, Raji, Jackson Trapani. Today we played defense much better than we usually do, but if that can continue we will be [dang] good.
UNC missed a lot of easy shots that they normally wouldn't miss IMO
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19