Author Topic: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes  (Read 766 times)

NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
ESPN Sources: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes for 2018-19 season that include: reset of shot clock to 14 seconds after offensive rebound; simplification of clear-path foul rule; expanding definition of "hostile act" for purposes of triggering replay.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1032663234174746624

NBA's Board of Governors will likely pass those three measures at meeting September 20-21. Rule changes need two-thirds approval of teams to pass.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1032663712572817409

Re: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 01:09:28 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
After a decade-plus stretch of giving up demoralizing offensive boards, this is an interesting one. I kinda like it. The vast majority of the time you get it in the frountcourt so it’s not like you have to bring the ball up. 14 seconds is plenty of the time to set up and run a play. If they do it for a non-shooting foul, this too works for me.

Clear path is one I seem to think gets called very inconstistantly, so perhaps a simplification would be better.

I’m usually all for the usage of replays because I rather sit there for an extra couple minutes to make sure the game is correctly called, but I feel like they review way too many fouls. I would prefer it can only be reviewed if they call it a flagrant. Then they can either rate it (I vs II) or downgrade it. if it didn’t sound/look like a hostile act, it was probably incidental.

I would most like to see more refs in the playoffs. Baseball does it with umps (even though they really don’t have to with challenges nowadays), and I think an extra ref could help immensely. I know they are experimenting with it (G-League?) and would take some getting used to by the refs as they are used to 3-man teams, but I think it would be worth it. I think we would get a more accurately-called game, which oftentimes in the playoffs can be the difference.
CELTICS 2024

Re: NBA's Competition Committee recommending rule changes
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 02:28:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
*climbs to the top of highest mountain*

ALL THE 14 SECOND RULES WERE BASED ON THE ORIGINAL 10 SECONDS TO GET THE BALL PAST HALFCOURT, NOW THAT IT'S 8 THEY SHOULD ALL BE 16!!

*climbs down*