Author Topic: East loading up on Bigs  (Read 3895 times)

Re: East loading up on Bigs
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2019, 10:55:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Philly now has Embiid, Horford and Harris

Bucks got Lopez Bros

Raptors Ibaka, Gasol Siakim

Kanter is not enough, the Celtics need to make a play on Dwight Howard

If Tobias Harris is a big Tatum is a big

Nope I see Harris as a wing so Tatum is a wing.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I'm sure we can get a big via trade if we're willing to trade Jaylen or Smart.

Ainge is going to have to trade Brown for a big if this team will have any chance to compete in the East. He's got to show more creativity than I've seen so far in free agency. I'm reminded of how the Red Sox just about have blown a season because Dombrowski, with similar cap problems, refused to trade for bullpen help.

You could say there's always the chance that Williams or the 7-7 kid will turn into gold, but once again the Red Sox were hoping that, too, for some of their rookies and holdovers.

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2019, 11:10:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Embiid's the only big (in the East) I'm worried about.

Horford (as we know from experience) isn't a dominate offensive force, not somebody who can go get a bucket at will.  Same goes for Gasol, Ibaka, Lopez bros, etc., (and they're all 30+ on the decline).  Even Siakiam, great complimentary piece, not sure if he can be a go-to bucket getter, Tobias is the same way.  These guys can all be contained, and some probably won't even be averaging double figures this year.  Not worried about any of these guys.

Embiid on the other hand, the C's have no answer for though.

So the way I see it, only one big in the East to really worry about.  Get the best seed possible and hope to avoid that match-up come playoff time.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It appears that the Celtics might be meeting with Demarcus Cousins

https://twitter.com/scoopb/status/1145862092211261441?s=21

Who the f*** is "Scoop B"???

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2019, 11:15:34 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell

Horford (as we know from experience) isn't a dominate offensive force, not somebody who can go get a bucket at will.  Same goes for Gasol, Ibaka, Lopez bros, etc., (and they're all 30+ on the decline).  Even Siakiam, great complimentary piece, not sure if he can be a go-to bucket getter, Tobias is the same way.  These guys can all be contained, and some probably won't even be averaging double figures this year.  Not worried about any of these guys.

So the way I see it, only one big in the East to really worry about.  Get the best seed possible and hope to avoid that match-up come playoff time.

Are you forgetting a certain 7-footer in Milwaukee?

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2019, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It appears that the Celtics might be meeting with Demarcus Cousins

https://twitter.com/scoopb/status/1145862092211261441?s=21

Who the f*** is "Scoop B"???

Robot Dave’s assistant

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2019, 11:42:31 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Is Giannis a big now?  I don't consider him a big, same way I don't consider Durant a big.

C's have to worry about him for sure, and he's as close to unstoppable as you get, but that's a different (though very similar) issue than the C's not being able to match up down low.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 12:32:27 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Hope they sign Boban the destroyer. looks like Philly opted for O'Quinn as there backup big.

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 12:56:46 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell

Is Giannis a big now?  I don't consider him a big, same way I don't consider Durant a big.

C's have to worry about him for sure, and he's as close to unstoppable as you get, but that's a different (though very similar) issue than the C's not being able to match up down low.

You're right in that he's not a traditional big in that he freelances on D and likes to start on the perimeter or midrange, though his intention is almost always to finish inside.

In terms of D, you need someone strong enough to force him away from where he wants to go or stout enough down low so he can't just start inside and overpower you. This is where the loss of Horford hurts so much. It was already an impossible task, now it's near impossible.

They're not going to find the matchup answer now or in the foreseeable future. I wish Brown and Tatum were a tad stronger, but I'm not sure how bulky they will ever end up being, or if that is even something they are comfortable doing.

At some point they need somebody inside with that bulk/height/speed combination that can guard 2-5 and also isn't a negative on offense.

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

Bucks got Lopez Bros

Harris is much meatier and plays much bigger than Tatum.  Though yeah they are basically the same height.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 11:32:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Bucks got Lopez Bros

Harris is much meatier and plays much bigger than Tatum.  Though yeah they are basically the same height.
Agreed. Playing big is just as important as being big when it comes to frontcourt players.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

You're right in that he's not a traditional big in that he freelances on D and likes to start on the perimeter or midrange, though his intention is almost always to finish inside.

In terms of D, you need someone strong enough to force him away from where he wants to go or stout enough down low so he can't just start inside and overpower you. This is where the loss of Horford hurts so much. It was already an impossible task, now it's near impossible.

They're not going to find the matchup answer now or in the foreseeable future. I wish Brown and Tatum were a tad stronger, but I'm not sure how bulky they will ever end up being, or if that is even something they are comfortable doing.

At some point they need somebody inside with that bulk/height/speed combination that can guard 2-5 and also isn't a negative on offense.
If Semi develops a more consistent three point shot he could be that guy. He does give up some inches in length and height, but is strong and fast enough to keep up with Giannis. Don't see Giannis developing a game where he'd use his length to shoot over guys ala KD anyways.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Bucks got Lopez Bros

My point was that neither one is really a big. Philly is obviously way bigger than us, but it is because of Simmons, Horford and Embid, not cause Harris is a big. Tatum also put on seven pounds of muscle between first and second season. I would not be surprised if he continues to fill out a bit given that he is 21 still, this seems very possible.

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Is Dragan Bender an unrestricted free agent right now? Is Kaminsky taking his spot on the Suns? I love to sign him on some short money.

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Is Dragan Bender an unrestricted free agent right now? Is Kaminsky taking his spot on the Suns? I love to sign him on some short money.

He is, since they never gave him QO.  Problem is he plays more like a small forward, not a power forward, and certainly not a center.