Author Topic: East loading up on Bigs  (Read 3897 times)

East loading up on Bigs
« on: July 01, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Philly now has Embiid, Horford and Harris

Bucks got Lopez Bros

Raptors Ibaka, Gasol Siakim

Kanter is not enough, the Celtics need to make a play on Dwight Howard

Re: East loading up on Bigs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 09:10:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
You can add Kyle O'Quinn to the list (Philly).

Ugh I liked him as a target too.

But yeah if we can somehow get a Cousins or even a Dwight Howard, I'd explore the possibility.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:11:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Howard has been shown the door his last two stops. Both times they took on bad money or bought him out to get rid of him. Last year he had an injured ass all season. You think he'll be happy as a backup role player even if he can get on the court?

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Bulpett is reporting that Ainge is still trying to get involved in sign and trades to free up more money to add another big.  I hope he pulls something off.  We were too thin last year and we have only replaced Horford and Baynes (Morris too) with Kanter.  I suppose we also drafted Grant W., but we need more front court help.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/01/good-bet-celtics-arent-done-making-changes/

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 09:29:06 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

But yeah if we can somehow get a Cousins or even a Dwight Howard, I'd explore the possibility.

WHAT?!?!? The Vet Min?? That's all it took for O'Quinn?  :o

Did Danny already go to bed
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 10:08:07 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
There is a rumor that we are pursuing Anthony Tolliver. Probably for the minimum.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:14 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
There is a rumor that we are pursuing Anthony Tolliver. Probably for the minimum.
i cannot imagine why. i would rather give the minutes to Grant Williams and let him develop.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
At this point it’s clear our bigs won’t be able to hold with those of the rest of the conference.  Honestly the best way to combat this is with small ball.  Our best five players are Walker, Smart, Brown, Hayward, and Tatum — see if the quickness of that lineup can be too difficult for opposing bigs to keep up with, and also be able to capably dent entry passes.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bulpett is reporting that Ainge is still trying to get involved in sign and trades to free up more money to add another big.  I hope he pulls something off.  We were too thin last year and we have only replaced Horford and Baynes (Morris too) with Kanter.  I suppose we also drafted Grant W., but we need more front court help.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07/01/good-bet-celtics-arent-done-making-changes/

don't forget Robert Williams

I'm still hoping the Celts bring in Vonleh

worst case wouldn't be surprised if Theis returns for vet min. 

Celtics will be ok .  End of the day, team D outshines any individual center

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

WHAT?!?!? The Vet Min?? That's all it took for O'Quinn?  :o

Did Danny already go to bed

I see what you did there...

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Teams are indeed loading up on size and it's not just big men. It's tall, long players at as many positions as possible. I remember the Bucks starting that philosophy in their drafting and also the Magic, to varying degrees of success (so far).

However, this isn't something easy to emulate. It's not necessary that difficult to add an Ibaka, Gasol, or Lopez later because they're serving in complementary roles. They're not required to be the stars or semi-stars they used to be. It is extremely difficult to find a Giannis, Embiid, Davis type. It's even very difficult to find a Gobert or Draymond who are limited offensively but are DPOY candidates every year.

I will say that if you're going to criticize the Celtics, they have more often than not neglected the big position as something they can fill in later for cheap, even though Horford was getting older and was an upcoming FA this season. According to them, their draft philosophy has been to take the BPA which generally is the correct thing to do. The problem is, now they find themselves with no depth at the position besides Robert Wililams who they only took last year and is extremely raw (sorry Dancing Bear).

As always with the draft, the picks you make 2-4 years previously shape what team you have in the present, not just in terms of quality of trade asset but also what you have to work with on the court. Without getting into the "they shoulda picked player X that year" game, I will say that they created an imbalance with their roster construction when they invested draft capital in Rozier, Smart, Brown, and Tatum, and then later signed Hayward and Irving.

The resulting team had redundancies at the 1-3 spot where established vets and young players were vying for shots/usage. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't have drafted any of those players at the time, but I think now even Ainge would admit the imbalance caused issues this past season, with the culmination being our present situation where the only options for both 4 and 5 are scrap heap players.

I will say that some of the issues were bad luck. The drafts in 2016 and 2017 did not have early star talent in the big positions. If you look at 2016, the only accomplished bigs taken were 11 with Sabonis and 27 with Siakim (again, ouch dancing bear at 16).

In 2017, the only big you might take at 3 would be Isaac or Markannen, who are promising but I think everyone is happy with Tatum at that slot. Later guys taken in Adebayo, Collins, and Allen were good though, and the fact that we didn't have a pick somewhere in the middle of the draft that year was unfortunate as it was a deep draft overall and not very top heavy (not to toot my own horn, but I remember at the time wondering if it might be smart to try and trade the 1st pick for Sacramento's 5 and 10 and was roundly criticized - time will tell).

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »

Online Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
It appears that the Celtics might be meeting with Demarcus Cousins

https://twitter.com/scoopb/status/1145862092211261441?s=21

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 10:48:03 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Obviously, they're just loading up on bigs because they're frightened of Kanter.

Mike

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm sure we can get a big via trade if we're willing to trade Jaylen or Smart.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Philly now has Embiid, Horford and Harris

Bucks got Lopez Bros

Raptors Ibaka, Gasol Siakim

Kanter is not enough, the Celtics need to make a play on Dwight Howard

If Tobias Harris is a big Tatum is a big