Author Topic: Reading Tea Leaves...Kawhi looks like he wants to be a Laker  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
there is a report out now that he he asked Magic if the Lakers tried to trade for him when he was with the Spurs. Look like he is trying to tell the world that he became a Raptor by default, and that but for Pop he would have been a Laker.

What do you think?

Re: Reading Tea Leaves...Kawhi looks like he wants to be a Laker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Where's the report from? Robot Dave?

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 01:46:12 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
there is a report out now that he he asked Magic if the Lakers tried to trade for him when he was with the Spurs. Look like he is trying to tell the world that he became a Raptor by default, and that but for Pop he would have been a Laker.

What do you think?

Can you link to the story? I’d be interested to read it!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 01:47:40 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

What do you think?

Well, there was also the idea that the Lakers didn't care to put much of an offer out there because they thought they would just nab him in free-agency anyways.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I think the lakers are leaking A LOT of these stories.  I can't say I know what the motive would be for this particular story but notice that nothing is really coming out about the Raptors or Clippers.

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:52:22 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

What do you think?

Can you link to the story? I’d be interested to read it!

I am watching Cowherd and it was posted on a banner during the show. It did not credit the source.

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:53:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think the lakers are leaking A LOT of these stories.  I can't say I know what the motive would be for this particular story but notice that nothing is really coming out about the Raptors or Clippers.

I believe the report.  But who knows what Kawhi actually thinks of their answers to his questions.

I am left with the impression Kawhi really wants to be a Laker, he just needs assurances he won't be marginalized.  At this point it seems LA and LeBron realize what needs to be said, but whether or not Kawhi believes them will ultimately decide things.

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 01:55:21 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well if he is truly asking about bringing his own trainers and how much power he will have(sounds like he want to make sure Lebron is not his king but other way around- good luck with that), he has made his mind up to go gold. Sounds a bit Prima Donna like if some of that is true. Did you want me...did you, did you?  Guess he can do what he wants as he is the man now. Gold...[dang] you Lebron...

He is signing with Lakers..thought so for awhile now...it makes too much sense for him. His body will have less wear and tear as well as deferring to the other two superstars on his team. Will hate that team more then any other before it since days of Magic.

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 01:57:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I will lose so much respect for Kawhi if he goes to LAL. Would be one of the weakest/beta moves in the history of sports, worse than even KD’s decision.

At least KD showed the year before he wasn’t able of carrying OKC to the title with that cast; Leonard literally just did that with an even lesser roster.

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 01:58:17 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I mean, Leonard is a better player right now than Lebron, and Davis, but he is certainly not going to be a bigger star than them. This is especially true since those two are about to be in space jam two together (maybe that add Leonard, but hard to picture him in a prominent role in a film). I don’t really get why Leonard (And to a lesser extent Lebron wants him there. For Lebron if he wins the title with Davis and some role players and kuzma he will really help his argument towards trying to catch Jordan. If he wins a title with the reigning finals mvp and defending champ nobody is going to give him any credit for that. Same thing with Leonard, he just had an all time great postseason run and is really elevating his star. Why would he want to go take a super easy path to a title and have nobody be able to consider or appreciate his greatness. Also just to say this again, I know people here hate this more cause it is the lakers, but honestly I think it would be incredibly lame if it happened on any team, even the Celtics.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/7/1/20676798/lakers-free-agent-rumors-kawhi-leonard-magic-johnson-trade-medical-team-staff-uncle-dennis

Thank you for the link. Lakers are being run by stars. Aint that a trip? Is Magic Johnson part of the Lakers or not. Seems like the Lakers made up this rift so Magic can tamper as will. If as he said he is now part of the Buss family then  the league should treat him as such.

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 02:02:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I will lose so much respect for Kawhi if he goes to LAL. Would be one of the weakest/beta moves in the history of sports, worse than even KD’s decision.

At least KD showed the year before he wasn’t able of carrying OKC to the title with that cast; Leonard literally just did that with an even lesser roster.

Leonard has nothing left to prove to anyone.  He's already beaten LeBron and the Warriors head to head as the clear alpha on his team.  He can afford to indulge himself in whatever makes him happiest.  His legacy is already set.

It sucks for everyone that isn't a Lakers fan, but I'll get over it.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Yeah, why are people instantly believing this? Nothing has happened yet.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Yeah, why are people instantly believing this? Nothing has happened yet.

Because everyone that said he would not go to the Lakers was just wishful thinking. Lakers are favorites.