Author Topic: Reading Tea Leaves...Kawhi looks like he wants to be a Laker  (Read 4204 times)

Re: Reading Tea Leaves...Kawhi looks like he wants to be a Laker
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Time to start hammering home how the 5 Minneapolis Titles don't count toward the current Lakers count. This could get messy fast. Lebron and now Kawhi signing with the Lakers after years of incompetence? To be able to sign - for free, mind you - two of the top 3 players in the NBA just because you are the Lakers is super-lame.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that we signed 3 in their prime All-Stars in the last 4 off-seasons and I am also appreciative of the hard work that Danny and our front office has done, but if Kawhi signs with the Lakers, it will just kind-of ruin the NBA.

Wait, did Kawhi sign yet?

Sorry, I was speaking in present tense in responding to the possibility that Kawhi might very well sign with the Lakers. I can see how it came off as stating it already happened. My only saving grace is my last line, '...if Kawhi signs with the Lakers...'   :laugh:

At this point, I would be perfectly happy with a 1+1 with Toronto. Just say NO to the Lakers!

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Who would care about that? He's one weird dude. Should have been teammates with Kyrie instead.

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2019, 03:45:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
these guys familes ...uncles , cousins,  god parents , all the other assortment of friends.  girlfriends,  nieces ,  people from his hood , wifes , neibghbors etc ....all the people that say YES to everything he wants , will be in his ear to go to where he can make EVERY last dime.  Its money his entourage wants in THEIR pockets too.  .....more money their way. 

So ... we ll see if he has an ounce of loyalty about him.   I would give those fans and teamates another 2 year contract at least .  Its just GOOD Karma for Kawhi to do this .  He is a hero of a WHOLE freakin nation ....not just a city ...FCOL

But the money grubbing entourage of family , business partners and friends will say different.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2019, 03:47:13 PM »

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
these guys familes ...uncles , cousins,  god parents , all the other assortment of friends.  girlfriends,  nieces ,  people from his hood , wifes , neibghbors etc ....all the people that say YES to everything he wants , will be in his ear to go to where he can make EVERY last dime.  Its money in his entourage wants in THEIR pockets too.  .....more money their way. 

So ... we ll see if he has an ounce of loyalty about him.   I would give those fans and teamates another 2 year contract at least .  Its just GOOD Karma for Kawhi to do this .  He is a hero of a WHOLE freakin nation ....not just a city ...FCOL

But the money grubbing entourage of family , business partners and friends will say different.

Toronto can pay him the most

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Loyalty to the team that traded for you, that's some aggressive laundry huffing.

Anyways if he was a super loyal guy I don't think he forces his way out of SA while sitting out an entire year.

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
these guys familes ...uncles , cousins,  god parents , all the other assortment of friends.  girlfriends,  nieces ,  people from his hood , wifes , neibghbors etc ....all the people that say YES to everything he wants , will be in his ear to go to where he can make EVERY last dime.  Its money in his entourage wants in THEIR pockets too.  .....more money their way. 

He'll make up for that, and then some, in endorsement money playing for the Lakers.

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 04:09:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

He'll make up for that, and then some, in endorsement money playing for the Lakers.

And his "Space Jam 2" appearance fee.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141

There is a domino effect of getting Davis to go with James. That's what the Lakers are banking on. They get plenty of help from the big market oriented media. Stars tend to cluster. At least some of them do.

I wonder if Ainge thought of that when he was trying to decide whether to trade for Davis. Maybe, just maybe, Horford might have stayed. What would the cap have looked like? Don't ask.

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2019, 05:12:13 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
My view is always going to be anti-Laker, but I do think that even with my bias considered, Kawhi to the Lakers would be just terrible for the league. Kawhi in Toronto or with Clips makes the league infinitely more competitive.   If KL goes Laker I give up on the titles lead. It’s wrong to root for injury, but realistically there would be no other way LAL will not win the next 3 at least (and AD and KL will still be young).  Seems inevitable anyway, but basically having 3 of the top 7 (or so) players in the league on one team is ridiculous.  GSW was dominant with 2.   

Lakers get 2 or more top 10 players in every basketball generation. It’s depressing. 

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Kawhi stays with Toronto, or signs with the Clips, it will be an absolutely fascinating season for predicting which teams will make it to the finals. Especially if he ends up with the Clips.

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Generational thing. They want the trophy for participating and not having to put the work in. Add a bit of narcissism and you have the current NBA player.

The league did this to itself when it put the spotlight on great players instead of teams.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well, I for one doubt Kawhi signs a 1 plus 1 with risk of injury. Why do that?