Author Topic: Middleton signs 3rd biggest contract ever  (Read 1918 times)

Middleton signs 3rd biggest contract ever
« on: June 30, 2019, 07:47:22 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Free agent Khris Middleton has agreed to a five-year, $178M deal to return to the Milwaukee Bucks, Excel Sports agent Mike Lindeman tells ESPN. Deal includes a player option

As of now, the only players to ever sign for more than Middleton's $178M deal are Russell Westbrook (5 yrs/$206.8M) and Stephen Curry (5 yrs/$201.2M).

Middleton was the 39th overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, making this the largest contract for a 2nd-round pick in NBA history.

Re: Middleton signs 3rd biggest contract ever
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Good for him. Guy deserves it. He has worked his socks off and improved so much throughout his career.

Terrific player. Works so well with other players.

I'd love to have him in Boston.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 07:49:14 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Umm. They’re gonna regret that. Bye bye Giannis

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 07:51:27 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Good for him. Guy deserves it. He has worked his socks off and improved so much throughout his career.

Terrific player. Works so well with other players.

I'd love to have him in Boston.

Not for that $.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 07:52:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Middleton's a good guy and I'm happy for him.

But I mean... if he is getting 178M and Tobias Harris is getting 180M, that's just... WOW.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

But I mean... if he is getting 178M and Tobias Harris is getting 180M, that's just... WOW.
What do you expect when the salary cap keeps going up and true stars can't get what they're worth.  The only thing that makes Kemba's contract look better is that it is only 4 years.  We're actually paying Kemba more per year. 

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 08:05:37 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Khris Middleton is a Celtics-killer, but when he's not facing Boston he's just an average player.

Bad contract, but oh well!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 08:07:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Umm. They’re gonna regret that. Bye bye Giannis
Can't say I see the connection. Unless Giannis wants to leave, I can't see Milwaukee not offering him all he wants
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 08:10:07 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

What do you expect when the salary cap keeps going up and true stars can't get what they're worth.  The only thing that makes Kemba's contract look better is that it is only 4 years.  We're actually paying Kemba more per year.

No, what makes Kemba’s deal look better is that he’s a 3x all-star and fresh of an all-nba season.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I think the Bucks are doing a bad job this offseason. I think 4 years for Lopez is a lot. I think they overpaid for Hill, trading Brogdon was also a head scratcher and the Middleton contract is massive for a guy who Just disappeared in the ECF (but maybe ok because of the market). I would've retained Brogdon and Middleton, tried to sign bigs cheaper than Lopez (Kaminsky for the offense and Noel for defense), something like that.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:25 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
What if Danny’s patience in not picking up trade deadline additions over the past two years has led to Milwaukee and Philly shooting themselves in the foot all for an immediate shot at the Finals.

But then Kawhi goes to the Raptors and gut punches them and now those two franchises are weaker going forward. And if Kawhi leaves the Raptors they’re decimated too.

At least the Raps got a title out of it. But the C’s could still be the strongest franchise moving forward. Along with Indiana and maybe the Nets.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think the Bucks are doing a bad job this offseason. I think 4 years for Lopez is a lot. I think they overpaid for Hill, trading Brogdon was also a head scratcher and the Middleton contract is massive for a guy who Just disappeared in the ECF (but maybe ok because of the market). I would've retained Brogdon and Middleton, tried to sign bigs cheaper than Lopez (Kaminsky for the offense and Noel for defense), something like that.

I was about to correct you and tell you they let Hill go, but you're right, they re-signed him to 3 year deal. Actually I thought that was smart of them, particularly after trading Brogdon. Things aren't as dire in ML as I first thought. If Kawhi goes to LA, the Bucks will be favorites in the East again, barring some crazy trade/signing by Philly.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

No, what makes Kemba’s deal look better is that he’s a 3x all-star and fresh of an all-nba season.
3x allstar in the East should come with an *.  Kemba made all-nba.  Klay didn't. I'd rather have Klay (before the injury at least). 

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

3x allstar in the East should come with an *.  Kemba made all-nba.  Klay didn't. I'd rather have Klay (before the injury at least).
No it shouldn't, because it's still 3 more than Harris will ever make
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Fun Facts

Harris is in his 8th NBA season and all of those save for two 1/2 seasons were in the East.

All-Star seasons. Zero

All-NBA seasons. Zero.

So shouldn’t 180M for that level of accomplish come with a bigger asterisk?