Poll

Will he?

Yes
13 (54.2%)
No
11 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Will Kyrie get exposed on the Nets?  (Read 4242 times)

Re: Will Kyrie get exposed on the Nets?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 08:38:34 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Brooklyn has been really smart about rebuilding their team, and now they add a guy that isn't really a good fit with the young wings and shooters that they've assembled. Sound familiar?

My guess is that the Nets feel that in order to attract other free-agents they have to sign someone like Irving. It's a starting point for them if they want to move up into title contention.

They could be in for a very rough season though. I can't wait to see Dinwiddie, Lavert, Harris, Prince, Hollis-Jefferson all standing around waiting for Kyrie to get off the ball.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 08:54:52 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Umm. Wasn’t he just exposed on the Celtics?

So yes. More exposed on the nets.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 09:09:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
He's going to get exposed big time. In his first 3 seasons in Cleveland the Cavs won 21, 24, and 33 games. granted, he was very young, but those records are still pretty horrible in what was a weak Eastern Conference.

He is what he is - an imaginative and efficient ISO scorer that doesn't make his teammates better and is a negative on defense. Add to that his peculiar attitude and I have to question how much he is ultimately bringing to the table.

I think the Nets will be mediocre unless they can bring in a true elite star to pair with him. And even then the odds of an implosion are pretty high.

Agreed.

Don't forget he's soft so avoids contact making it very hard to close out games.

I'd hardly call him soft....

Dude was among the team leaders in taking charges last season.

I know most of us want to see him fail but let's not revise history.

Exactly.  Kyrie is not soft when he is completely engaged.  Many of us gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing the right way for the first season and a half in Boston.  I'll be the first to admit that I reserved judgement longer than I should have.  His on court effort remained consistent until after the All-Star break. 

Revisionist history will ignore the fact that Irving was a more well-rounded player for the majority of his tenure in Boston.  The real narrative (IMO) should be that the young guys were entitled and complacent after a surprise ECF Finals run.  Irving did a terrible job of handling their immaturity and it ultimately sank the team.  A passive aggressive approach never works.   

Except Kyrie Irving did the same thing in Cleveland....he didnt speak to his teammates in months during the playoffs and demanded off a championship team. The ways he left Cleveland and how he left the Celtics are eerily similar.

in a bubble, you are correct...but I feel you are giving Kyrie too much leeway here saying he just did a poor job of handling the young guys. Yes, their big heads was part of the problem. But that doesnt absolve Kyrie...we even know from the young guys how the team went depended on "kyries mood" during any given week. by the end of his tenure he didnt get along with anyone.

Now, he is leaving one "young team" for another "young team" with less top end talent....will be interesting to see once the first losing streak sets in how Kyrie handles it.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 09:20:18 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
He's going to get exposed big time. In his first 3 seasons in Cleveland the Cavs won 21, 24, and 33 games. granted, he was very young, but those records are still pretty horrible in what was a weak Eastern Conference.

He is what he is - an imaginative and efficient ISO scorer that doesn't make his teammates better and is a negative on defense. Add to that his peculiar attitude and I have to question how much he is ultimately bringing to the table.

I think the Nets will be mediocre unless they can bring in a true elite star to pair with him. And even then the odds of an implosion are pretty high.

Agreed.

Don't forget he's soft so avoids contact making it very hard to close out games.

Exactly.  Kyrie is not soft when he is completely engaged.  Many of us gave him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing the right way for the first season and a half in Boston.  I'll be the first to admit that I reserved judgement longer than I should have.  His on court effort remained consistent until after the All-Star break. 

Revisionist history will ignore the fact that Irving was a more well-rounded player for the majority of his tenure in Boston.  The real narrative (IMO) should be that the young guys were entitled and complacent after a surprise ECF Finals run.  Irving did a terrible job of handling their immaturity and it ultimately sank the team.  A passive aggressive approach never works.   

Except Kyrie Irving did the same thing in Cleveland....he didnt speak to his teammates in months during the playoffs and demanded off a championship team. The ways he left Cleveland and how he left the Celtics are eerily similar.

in a bubble, you are correct...but I feel you are giving Kyrie too much leeway here saying he just did a poor job of handling the young guys. Yes, their big heads was part of the problem. But that doesnt absolve Kyrie...we even know from the young guys how the team went depended on "kyries mood" during any given week. by the end of his tenure he didnt get along with anyone.

Now, he is leaving one "young team" for another "young team" with less top end talent....will be interesting to see once the first losing streak sets in how Kyrie handles it.

I should have clarified myself further, as I think we are in complete agreement.  Kyrie did A LOT more than mishandle his approach towards the young guys.  I was trying to say that this was a catalyst for his implosion.  His on court effort and attitude was garbage for the entire 2nd half of the season.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Kyrie should be absolved of any responsibility.  The young guys were doing what young guys do.  Kyrie needed to put himself in their shoes and try to bring the team together, as opposed to taking passive aggressive shots at them through the media. As I've mentioned in the past, Kyrie's attitude gave the young guys a reason to point the finger at him.  If Kyrie had handled things like a professional, it would have forced the young guys to look at themselves in the mirror.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 09:24:11 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

Agreed.

I should have clarified myself further, as I think we are in complete agreement.  Kyrie did A LOT more than mishandle his approach towards the young guys.  I was trying to say that this was a catalyst for his implosion.  His on court effort and attitude was garbage for the entire 2nd half of the season.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Kyrie should be absolved of any responsibility.  The young guys were doing what young guys do.  Kyrie needed to put himself in their shoes and try to bring the team together, as opposed to taking passive aggressive shots at them through the media. As I've mentioned in the past, Kyrie's attitude gave the young guys gave them a reason to point the finger at him.  If Kyrie had handled things like a professional, it would have forced the young guys to look at themselves in the mirror.

Oh, I definitely agree here. I only hope that Jaylen/Tatum learned from last year and that this year they can take a step forward rather than the step back they took last season. And hopefully Kemba can be a better leader.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2019, 09:27:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He ll start off on fire

but , the body will get sore and injuries and his mental tuffness and game will sag and by end of season , unless KD joins him , he ll be unhappy agai mostlikely

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2019, 09:30:18 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Agreed.

I wasn't trying to suggest that Kyrie should be absolved of any responsibility.  The young guys were doing what young guys do.  Kyrie needed to put himself in their shoes and try to bring the team together, as opposed to taking passive aggressive shots at them through the media. As I've mentioned in the past, Kyrie's attitude gave the young guys gave them a reason to point the finger at him.  If Kyrie had handled things like a professional, it would have forced the young guys to look at themselves in the mirror.

Oh, I definitely agree here. I only hope that Jaylen/Tatum learned from last year and that this year they can take a step forward rather than the step back they took last season. And hopefully Kemba can be a better leader.

With Kyrie gone, I think that Brown and Tatum will learn from their complacency (Jaylen did this already).  I also expect Kemba to show a true commitment towards their development.  There will be no excuses for Tatum or Brown next year.   

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 09:32:02 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope the dude finds happiness, but I'm pretty skeptical. 

I see some parallels to Stephon Marbury, except he won a championship early on.  Otherwise, wanting to get out from a superstar's shadow, wanting to play near his home, always looking for greener pastures, watching his "quirky" personality seem to cause real problems in his life...

Maybe Kyrie will someday thrive in China.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
He ll start off on fire

but , the body will get sore and injuries and his mental tuffness and game will sag and by end of season , unless KD joins him , he ll be unhappy agai mostlikely

You're probably right, but I can see Kyrie being happy until there's real pressure to win a title.  I think he's looking for a mental break to some extent.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2019, 10:29:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I only hope that Jaylen/Tatum learned from last year and that this year they can take a step forward rather than the step back they took last season.
I think they are going to have a very hard time doing that. Kemba is a high usage scoring PG. It is going to be hard for them to get enough touches / shots next to Kemba & Hayward who will be looking to reestablish himself after last season.

There is only 1 ball and 4 guys competing with each other for it.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2019, 11:15:18 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Agreed.

I'm not revising history I guess my idea of soft is different than yours. I did see him take many soft charges the type you fall down when people hit you and hope for a call, I'll give him credit for that. But how do you explain the lack of free throws? Cause I can tell you he goes to the hoop and tries to avoid contact it's clear as day! If you can't go in get contact, get to the free throw line you can't be a closer in the NBA. If you want to be a top 10 talent you have to be a closer IMO. Let me ask this does it look like KI hits the gym, tries to get stronger to absorb hits? I have 20 years on him and have more muscle tone than he does!

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I hope the dude finds happiness, but I'm pretty skeptical. 

I see some parallels to Stephon Marbury, except he won a championship early on.  Otherwise, wanting to get out from a superstar's shadow, wanting to play near his home, always looking for greener pastures, watching his "quirky" personality seem to cause real problems in his life...

Maybe Kyrie will someday thrive in China.
Marbury is a good comp.
DWill, ex Net, went against Sloan, also reminds me of Kyrie.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I expect the Nets to be middle of pack playoff team minus another max star. I could see Kyrie averaging in the high 20s per game as he is saddled with more of the offensive scoring. If he goes down for any length of time, they could fall out of contention fast. Maybe he will grow into a uniter and learn from this past year but I would not bet my home on it. He will be tough in the playoffs with a chip on shoulder but if he loses chip again, he will be a quick exit. With Kyrie, anything is possible. The NY media will swallow him alive if and when they have a big bump in the road...God help him if Nets start under 500..his face will be on Daily News cover with things like..Kyrie..the Destroyer of teams(his own) 😁

I will enjoy not seeing his name so much on our board though. Enjoy Brooklyn Kyrie..be careful what you wish for.

Watch when Lebron retires, he demands trade to Lakers.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I only hope that Jaylen/Tatum learned from last year and that this year they can take a step forward rather than the step back they took last season.
I think they are going to have a very hard time doing that. Kemba is a high usage scoring PG. It is going to be hard for them to get enough touches / shots next to Kemba & Hayward who will be looking to reestablish himself after last season.

There is only 1 ball and 4 guys competing with each other for it.

I mean, Kemba has been forced to be that high usage scoring PG due to his poor supporting cast, though, and it’s reported that one of the reasons he’s coming here is because he wanted the better supporting cast to not have to do it all himself. He seems much more ready to sacrifice his playing style for the team than Kyrie ever was, which has seemingly been confirmed since the season ended with reports that Kyrie would regularly not follow Brad’s gameplan.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2019, 11:20:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think Kyrie has already been exposed.  We know what his strengths and flaws are.
This.  last season pretty much exposed his strengths and weaknesses