Author Topic: Adam Silver wants to phase out the term ‘owner’  (Read 6898 times)

Re: Adam Silver wants to phase out the term ‘owner’
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2019, 02:56:23 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
So James Dolan will own the Rangers and be lead executive of the Knicks?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2019, 04:21:45 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
LOL...Adam Silver has lost his [dang] mind. The morons that he's pandering to with such a statement make me think Silver isn't fit for such a position.

Personally, I think it's a bit over the top. But at the same time, who cares? If people are getting actually offended by it, if it is something that really triggers players or fans, it's a lot easier to change that terminology than it is to change peoples minds. What are you gonna do, campaign on why calling someone an 'owner' is a good thing?

It be might easier to appease the offended but that doesn't always make it the right thing to do.  If the reason someone is offended is rooted in flawed logic or ignorance I'm not going to give their offense validation, because it doesn't deserve to be validated.

I call BS when I see it, that's just how it goes.  I'm not a hold my tongue and capitulate type and never will be.

The term should be reserved for the fans.  We pay for the tickets and our hearts own the team.

Speaking of the terms "fans", you better stop calling me a "fan", this is offensive!

I am not a fanatic, my support of the team is perfectly reasonable and measured.  It is anything but fanatical and I resent the pejorative descriptor you're using!

(sarcasm)  :P

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Adam Silver is going to sell his car and rent from now on.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2019, 04:55:05 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I Like Silver, hated Stern but if he's going to cow tail to this kind of stupidity I'll jump off the Silver train! This is the type of stuff that makes me want to puke!!

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2019, 09:27:01 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
My thoughts are Political Correctness  is a disease.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2019, 09:39:33 AM »

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
This seems like a non-issue. What does it change? How does it affect any of us as fans? What does it matter? If it makes players feel more respected, why should any of us care?

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2019, 10:40:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm Black / African American and love what Adam Silver has done for the League.

With THAT being said I believe his heart is in the right place BUT he is REACHING, here.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 10:53:54 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Adam Silver is going to sell his car and rent from now on.

TP for making me laugh

I haven't been convinced that Silver is actually a good commissioner.  He's not bad, but he hasn't really had any major challenges.  And he hasn't reigned in the rampant tampering, or other issues.  If I were the Pelicans owner (prior to the lottery) I would have been livid that my star player's agent was running the league, getting trades demanded, deciding to which team (and which player - Lebron) to trade him to, and forcing my hand to sit him to protect the assets.  That's TERRIBLE for the fans. 

That the players seem to like him is good, but we'll see how much they like him during the next league negotiation.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2019, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

With THAT being said I believe his heart is in the right place BUT he is REACHING, here.

Curious what Silver has done that you love?

Kick out Sterling?  First and only thing that really comes to mind, but to me seems like low hanging fruit.

Personally, I think the NBA (Stern/Silver) has done a good job of growing the league, and being more on the cutting edge compared to other leagues (NFL, MLB), but it's really only good in comparison to those leagues (granted I don't really follow those sports, so don't really know).  Would love to hear your thoughts.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Curious what Silver has done that you love?

Kick out Sterling?  First and only thing that really comes to mind, but to me seems like low hanging fruit.

Personally, I think the NBA (Stern/Silver) has done a good job of growing the league, and being more on the cutting edge compared to other leagues (NFL, MLB), but it's really only good in comparison to those leagues (granted I don't really follow those sports, so don't really know).  Would love to hear your thoughts.

He has created an environment where the players - especially the BEST ones like LeBron, Durant - can speak out verbally against injustices - and with no repercussions.

Players in the NFL, MLB - can't do that - or face harsh penalties, repercussions, ostracization - if they do, it seems.

Back 2 or so years ago - when there was SO MUCH political / racial rhetoric being tossed around - our players where able to speak out and he supported them.

In a league were most of the player base is Black / African American this is huge.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:24:28 AM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline Chef Parish

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 1673
I also think they should come up with alternative words for "shoot"  and "steal."
Too much negative connotation to these words.

I think it's a long time coming for these changes!

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I also think they should come up with alternative words for "shoot"  and "steal."
Too much negative connotation to these words.

I think it's a long time coming for these changes!

No more “charges”, either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He must feel so virtuous! Less snowflakes are melting until draymond gets offended at another word in a few months

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2019, 02:59:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He must feel so virtuous! Less snowflakes are melting until draymond gets offended at another word in a few months

If someone gets triggered by changing a word so much that they go to an internet forum to complain about it, are they not also of snow? Doth they not too melt, in the heat of the hot take?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This seems like a non-issue. What does it change? How does it affect any of us as fans? What does it matter? If it makes players feel more respected, why should any of us care?

It makes people who can't stand how easily offended everyone else is these days really upset.