Poll

Should the Celtics trade for AD?

Yes.  (Tatum in the deal)
22 (44.9%)
No.   (Not worth giving up assets for a one year rental)
19 (38.8%)
Yes but only if Tatum isn't in the deal.
8 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Anthony Davis traded to Lakers(page 272)  (Read 343866 times)

Re: Report: Pels to call Boston if they can't convince Davis to stay
« Reply #2685 on: May 17, 2019, 01:07:16 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
This is an interesting nugget regarding Kyrie.

I know Sherrod isn't exactly "Mr. Reliable" (then again, who is) but saw this on NBCSportsBoston.com
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/league-execs-fans-have-lots-thoughts-kyries-future-boston

Here's an excerpt:

Despite most of those spoken to indicating they anticipate Irving will play somewhere besides Boston next season, there were a couple of league officials who are convinced that when all is said and done, Irving will sign a long-term deal with Boston.

“He’s playing all of you guys right now,” a front-office official with a Western Conference team told NBC Sports on Thursday. “Say what you want about his leadership and all that nonsense, but the one thing we know about Kyrie is he will do what is best for Kyrie. The money, chance to win a title sooner rather than later, have his own team … all that stuff matters and when he looks at all the different options he’ll have, I think he’ll have one of those, “what the hell was I thinking?” moments and go back to Boston.”

Another excerpt
An NBA scout who has followed Irving dating to his days at Duke agrees.

“I know this season didn’t end the way Kyrie or the Celtics wanted,” the scout said. “But when you look at what went wrong for them, it’s easy to blame Kyrie because he didn’t shoot the ball well. But when you hear what others are saying afterwards, Brad (Stevens) saying he did a bad job, players talking about how they sacrificed this and that … it’s pretty obvious that they had a lot of issues going on that were bigger than just one player, even a player as good as Kyrie.

The scout added, “I think he comes back and he comes back with an attitude; a little edgier with not just his words but his play.”

LOVE IT

I will conveniently ignore the fact that it's coming from A. Sherrod 'Opposite Day' Blakely.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2686 on: May 17, 2019, 01:13:08 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Not hearing a single peep from the BLOW IT UP doom and gloom crowd in this thread.  Where you guys at?

Obviously this is just a report and nothing has happened yet, but it's the best possible news we could get.

After this train wreck of a season, my excitement level concerning the Cs is at an all-time low. Even if their offseason ends up appearing to be amazing, I'm not gonna get excited unless and until I see a very good on-court product.

Is that doom-and-gloom enough for you? ;D

P.S.—I am SO loving that the Pels are sticking it to the Lakers.

And now, for my 5th consecutive reply to a single thread (a personal best), I will say that I've seen all your posts and I didn't even consider you to be in that crowd.  I should have drawn the distinction that I was firing shots at those who were deliberately ignoring the facts.  Your extreme pessimism seemed perfectly reasonable.

It's been a long year.  But we deserve to be able to celebrate any good news we get as C's fans in 2019.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #2687 on: May 17, 2019, 01:31:17 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Not hearing a single peep from the BLOW IT UP doom and gloom crowd in this thread.  Where you guys at?

Obviously this is just a report and nothing has happened yet, but it's the best possible news we could get.

After this train wreck of a season, my excitement level concerning the Cs is at an all-time low. Even if their offseason ends up appearing to be amazing, I'm not gonna get excited unless and until I see a very good on-court product.

Is that doom-and-gloom enough for you? ;D

P.S.—I am SO loving that the Pels are sticking it to the Lakers.

And now, for my 5th consecutive reply to a single thread (a personal best), I will say that I've seen all your posts and I didn't even consider you to be in that crowd.  I should have drawn the distinction that I was firing shots at those who were deliberately ignoring the facts.  Your extreme pessimism seemed perfectly reasonable.

It's been a long year.  But we deserve to be able to celebrate any good news we get as C's fans in 2019.

That's quite a feat! :laugh:

I wasn't sure if I was considered part of that crowd, but either way, it's all good. I certainly hope for good things for the Celtics, and if there are some really good things happening this summer, I'm sure I won't be able to resist long against any rising excitement.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2688 on: May 17, 2019, 02:20:46 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
It all appears to be proceeding according to plan. Basically it comes down to does DA pull the trigger if Kyrie wont commit, I think he does. A tatum/smart/pick package is still better than the Knicks or Lakers so I imagine that about what it will end up being.

« Reply #2689 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:21 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
From the doom and gloom crowd:

This has nightmare written all over it to me.

You all want to add one more diva to a city that couldn’t handle the one they had last year.
People want to gut their team for a guy who has repeatedly said he wants to play in LA no matter what next season
For a guy whose father said he doesn’t like the way Boston treats his players
For a guy who abandoned his team half way through a season and wore a “thats all folks T-shirt on the bench during his last game” but yet he doesn’t dress himself
For a guy whose always hurt

And to pair him with a guy who:
Has a great chance of not resigning here
Who affects a teams performance solely based on what mood he is in
Wants to lead but won’t take the blame if anything goes wrong
Who didn’t even sit on the sideline when his team was in game 7 of the ECF
Who is also ALWAYS hurt

So yea best case we sign Kyrie trade for Davis

But the worst case scenarios far exceed those
1)gut the team, Kyrie doesn’t resign, Davis leaves after a year
2) gut the team, resign Kyrie, season is a nightmare yet again and Davis goes to LA

I just don’t believe Kyrie wants to be here

I think going home to NY and teaming up with Durant long term is more appealing to Kyrie then staying in a city where you’ve worn out your welcome to many fans just to play with Davis for possibly only one year.

What do we have that appeals to Kyrie once we gut the team? A coach he clearly has no respect for, an aging former all star in Horford, and a bench player with arguably the worst contract in the NBA. Even with Davis I doubt he sees that as a contender.

« Reply #2690 on: May 17, 2019, 05:35:56 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
There hasn't been any indication that AD will change his stance.. He will get traded eventually and the Pelicans will look at no other team than Boston due to the fact that they'll have Tatum, TimeLord, 14thpick, 22nd pick and a future Celtic pick.. If they want the Memphis pick, hopefully DA does not give up Smart..
One thing that may sway in the Cs favor is if Davis continues to be non committal to an extension then that will mean its a one Yr rental which probably mean the price goes down... If AD says he will stay in the long course Whether or not Kyrie is still with the team then DA will go all in and would be forced to give up Smart... Wish the Pelicans and Rozier would agree to a sign and trade so it lessens the salary matching purposes.

In any event I think this deal is somewhat 75% done as long as AD says he still wants to be traded.. Boston is just the ideal partner as the Fakers are a western conference rival plus the animosity that the Lakers drove in season in the AD talks.

« Reply #2691 on: May 17, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Look, if we bring Davis, it's not guarantee that Irving stays but it's more likely he would. But, that leads to the question: what about others?-do they want him to stay?! The answer is simple: It doesn't matter. Since aquiring Davis will cost us a huge package, probably we won't see Rozier (FA) anymore, Tatum or Brown and maybe both of them and possibly some others. So there will be much less anti-Irving's on a team left. So yes, we could have a strong team and possibly a chemistry within players, too. But that brings us to Stevens again.
I know, a lots of ''but's''.

« Reply #2692 on: May 17, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is an interesting nugget regarding Kyrie.

I know Sherrod isn't exactly "Mr. Reliable" (then again, who is) but saw this on NBCSportsBoston.com
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/league-execs-fans-have-lots-thoughts-kyries-future-boston

Here's an excerpt:

Despite most of those spoken to indicating they anticipate Irving will play somewhere besides Boston next season, there were a couple of league officials who are convinced that when all is said and done, Irving will sign a long-term deal with Boston.

“He’s playing all of you guys right now,” a front-office official with a Western Conference team told NBC Sports on Thursday. “Say what you want about his leadership and all that nonsense, but the one thing we know about Kyrie is he will do what is best for Kyrie. The money, chance to win a title sooner rather than later, have his own team … all that stuff matters and when he looks at all the different options he’ll have, I think he’ll have one of those, “what the hell was I thinking?” moments and go back to Boston.”

Another excerpt
An NBA scout who has followed Irving dating to his days at Duke agrees.

“I know this season didn’t end the way Kyrie or the Celtics wanted,” the scout said. “But when you look at what went wrong for them, it’s easy to blame Kyrie because he didn’t shoot the ball well. But when you hear what others are saying afterwards, Brad (Stevens) saying he did a bad job, players talking about how they sacrificed this and that … it’s pretty obvious that they had a lot of issues going on that were bigger than just one player, even a player as good as Kyrie.

The scout added, “I think he comes back and he comes back with an attitude; a little edgier with not just his words but his play.”

I don't doubt that this analysis is true. If we trade for Davis, he is a major factor. Durant is a huge factor too, and possibly even Kawhi Leonard is, but one possibility is that Kyrie does the math and wants to come back.

It will be very interesting to see if Ainge wants him. I think he represents a huge risk. If Kyrie can't handle the dynamics in a positive way, the whole thing comes tumbling down and we go back to square one.

Yes, the best case scenario is we get AD and keep Kyrie, who then responds by creating strong chemistry with Davis, who everyone will view as the top player.

But Davis is not LeBron. Everyone knows that. He won't be ball dominant, dictate the offense and provide another 8 assists a game. Kyrie needs to act affirmatively to make this work, and he needs to accept his status as the second banana. He might be able to do that, but I haven't seen any indication he has those skills.

Some have pointed to Paul Peirce as an example of a player who grew up when given the right opportunity. But Pierce got to keep his role as alpha dog on offense. He got to take all the big shots.

I'd rather bet Ainge can get us a solid team first point guard and we become a good enough team without Kyrie to entice Davis to stay. With a couple of small moves we'd be pretty [dang] great without Kyrie. I think that scenario is much more likely to work out.

« Reply #2693 on: May 17, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
It should also be noted that the Pels have been doing their due diligence at the combine interviewing. While they would’ve interviewed Zion, Morant, and RJ regardless, I think they’re exploring the other lottery talents in preparation for an AD trade. If Boston can combine their picks into a mid-lottery selection in the 6-8 range, that’d probably really help the trade out, especially if NOLA likes a guy in that range.

I remember Danny's failed attempt to move up for Justise Winslow, so I think that moving into the 6-8 range might be challenging but worth pursuing even if we don't trade the picks. This draft is thought to be a "flat" draft after 1-3, so that might help.

TP to you because you said exactly what I was thinking. In most drafts, 14, 20 and 22 wouldn't get us much beyond a 12. But with this draft so flat, I'm hoping that we could pull a #9 or #10 with that combo.

Mike

« Reply #2694 on: May 17, 2019, 10:09:52 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
ny want Kooky Kyrie  ::)

« Reply #2695 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
All good news assuming the reporting is correct.

Mainly because it indicates the Pels are high on the Celtics' package which would mean it's their deal to lose. Of course, it matters just what the Pels think the Celtics are giving up but the fact that they're preferred assets are in Boston, is good news.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2696 on: May 17, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Two main reasons I don't think a Davis trade is likely to happen:

(1) I think Kyrie is gone, and I don't think the Celts are going to go all-in to add AD without knowing Kyrie is on board

(2) I think the Pels are going to hold onto AD at least until the trade deadline, in the hopes that Zion looks awesome and they have a winning record by that point and AD may consider sticking around.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2697 on: May 17, 2019, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

(1) I think Kyrie is gone, and I don't think the Celts are going to go all-in to add AD without knowing Kyrie is on board

(2) I think the Pels are going to hold onto AD at least until the trade deadline, in the hopes that Zion looks awesome and they have a winning record by that point and AD may consider sticking around.

1. Are there any sources besides the ones from New York that says Kyrie is going to the Knicks. Besides as mentioned before, Danny will try to trade Davis gambling on the fact that Kyrie stays. I’m sure he has a backup if he gets Davis and Kyrie leaves.

2. Zion is a rookie, he can put great numbers and Pelicans still won’t make the playoffs. Davis has burned bridges with not only the Pelicans organization but the fans. The franchise needs a fresh start for the fans sake and need to just trade especially with reports that Davis’ stance has not changed.

« Reply #2698 on: May 17, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I think with all intents and purposes, AD pretty much burned all his bridges. Wearing that T-Shirt, demanding a trade before deadline to get sent over to the LAL, and pretty much playing listlessly towards the end. Nah, he's gone. Too much damage control to fix + depreciated value of waiting half a year.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2699 on: May 17, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
No way i trade for Davis for just one year..that would set this franchise back to lottery team status for years to come
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin