Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413168 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1395 on: April 23, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
What’s with the big white wolf in the scene where Jon, Sam and other wall survivor guy were chatting it up like frat brothers on the battlements?

Foreshadowing? Just a random”not Ghost” wolf? A scene shot several seasons ago?

Just thought it was a little bizarre and confusing...

It was Ghost.  He's been around, but they just haven't really showed him.

The Ghost they portrayed in that scene made me laugh.  The reason he wasn't in season 7 was because of the cost of his CGI, but in this season 8 scene he's the size of a normal wolf so I doubt they even had to use CGI.  He looked like a 40lb wolf spray painted white, which cost them like $5 to film lol. 

« Reply #1396 on: April 23, 2019, 02:02:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
She singlehandedly murdered every Khal in Vaes Dothrak, it's how she won them over for good.

Because she is immune to fire and they were not that is not fighting ability though.   Give it up she has some special powers, but directly she is not a good fighter.

I was correcting your obvious error that she had never killed anyone.

RE: cryptchat I can't get over the fact that if they really think the battle is unwinnable, the best-case scenario for those people is to huddle down there for a day or so then get torn to bits by the ravenous corpses of their former friends & family. Good times for the crypt crew.

I wonder if part of why they're down there is that we'll finally get some clue about the symbols the White Walkers like to make out of their corpses. Mostly the spiral pattern. They've been seen since literally scene 1 of the series but never even hinted at an explanation.

Though mysterious, there are several hints to why they make this pattern.  First, it's the pattern of stones the children of forest used at the location the white walkers were created.  So making this pattern may be the white walkers echoing the magic used in their creation, or a notice to the children themselves.

Second, it very much resembles the spokes of a wheel, which you'll recall people referencing several times throughout the seasons.  The wheel rolls over rich & poor, and Daenarys promises to break the wheel.

I didn't remember the COTF bit, thanks for reminding me. It probably has to do with that. I'm not sure about the literalness of the wheel of governance/power but it could very well have a symbolic link of a cycle, both life/death (which the White Walkers basically break) or the weird long summer/winter they seem connected to.

They also made a Phi or female-symbol looking thing in the very first episode that I'm not sure I've seen since.

The symbols are pretty much the only way the White Walkers have communicated anything to anyone so they've gotta be relevant, though I wouldn't mind a Lost-type thing where it's never really fully spelled out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 02:26:58 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #1397 on: April 24, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
This show is pretty smart. Use the first two episodes of the final season to get everyone settled back into the world and re-establish some emotional bonds before what I imagine is going to be a 90-minute fight scene next week. The pacing of the storytelling by spacing out the episodes this way should give the big expensive battle some real heft.

And it's nice to see Arya get some. She's really having it all right now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:26:49 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1398 on: April 24, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
This show is pretty smart. Use the first two episodes of the final season to get everyone settled back into the world and re-establish some emotional bonds before what I imagine is going to be a 90-minute fight scene next week. The pacing of the storytelling by spacing out the episodes this way should give the big expensive battle some real heft.

And it's nice to see Arya get some. She's really having it at right now.

I think they “kill off” Arya. Only to have Tyrion or Jamie or someone rip of their face and come back as her and kill Cersei. She needs to use that power in a meaningful way to complete her story.

« Reply #1399 on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I think they “kill off” Arya. Only to have Tyrion or Jamie or someone rip of their face and come back as her and kill Cersei. She needs to use that power in a meaningful way to complete her story.
saw this mentioned earlier in the thread (wasn't sure if it was you) and thought it to be a really good twist in the story. 

« Reply #1400 on: April 24, 2019, 09:22:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
so.....at this point, is there a general consensus as to whether the North defeats the Night King at Winterfell or the North is defeated and retreats to King's Landing for the all out battle?  Also, with the predictions of so many characters being killed off this coming episode, any predictions for who joins the Night King during the battle other than those in the Stark's crypts?

« Reply #1401 on: April 24, 2019, 09:42:21 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I like that.

« Reply #1402 on: April 24, 2019, 10:35:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
so.....at this point, is there a general consensus as to whether the North defeats the Night King at Winterfell or the North is defeated and retreats to King's Landing for the all out battle?  Also, with the predictions of so many characters being killed off this coming episode, any predictions for who joins the Night King during the battle other than those in the Stark's crypts?

I don't know if there's a consensus but at minimum the Night King seems very likely to survive it and keep wrecking stuff.  Some think he's not even at Winterfell and is heading straight for Kings' Landing where there are no dragons to stop him. My feeling is they make a huge dent in the army but then get overwhelmed at the last minute, probably via the crypts, and have to flee.

I don't know how many characters are gonna become wights - it's hard to do without it looking kinda cheesy and they know to burn the bodies. I think Tormund sadly seems like a strong candidate. Davos is probably gonna have to put down that little girl that wanted to "defend the crypt"; the good news is that may be the price for them not killing Lyanna Mormont. And no idea if it'll happen but I really like the idea of Sam having to take his sword back from a wighted Jorah.

I wonder if part of why they're down there is that we'll finally get some clue about the symbols the White Walkers like to make out of their corpses. Mostly the spiral pattern. They've been seen since literally scene 1 of the series but never even hinted at an explanation.

Though mysterious, there are several hints to why they make this pattern.  First, it's the pattern of stones the children of forest used at the location the white walkers were created.  So making this pattern may be the white walkers echoing the magic used in their creation, or a notice to the children themselves.

I've been thinking about this and my guess is the spiral is a Children of the Forest symbol for something like "extinction" that represented either their desperation or their order to the Night King, and the White Walkers are now using it to represent their intentions. White Walkers are kinda like if humans made the Terminators first, with a built in Skynet intelligence and the ability to self-replicate, the symbols are like their core directive.

« Reply #1403 on: April 24, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

That would be almost exactly what she did with Frey. Can't see them repeating themselves like that.

But I do think she will need to use a face for something meaningful, but probably against the Night King.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #1404 on: April 24, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell

That would be almost exactly what she did with Frey. Can't see them repeating themselves like that.

But I do think she will need to use a face for something meaningful, but probably against the Night King.

Good call, forgot about Frey. TP.
But... having her impersonate a major character would be a bit more major plus add in the thinking she is dead angle, so a little different.

« Reply #1405 on: April 24, 2019, 01:09:08 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

I like that.

Interesting.  I could see some variation of this - we see someone survive at the end, and as they walk away (with their back to us) they take off the face of the person we thought it was, but we never see who is walking away (Arya, Jacquen, etc.).  And it's just the faceless mystery left.

Another ending is that Gilly or Sam survive and sit down to write the story.  Though I couldn't imagine Gilly writing too good of a story, it would be fitting that she survived everything, learned to read late in her life, only to be the one writing.

« Reply #1406 on: April 24, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Who could she impersonate that would possibly matter to the Night King though? He just wants to kill everybody and doesn't play favorites, aside from Bran who has the mark so he won't be fooled. Jon Snow, I guess, to let the real Jon sneak off and do something important?

« Reply #1407 on: April 24, 2019, 01:33:38 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell

Who could she impersonate that would possibly matter to the Night King though? He just wants to kill everybody and doesn't play favorites, aside from Bran who has the mark so he won't be fooled. Jon Snow, I guess, to let the real Jon sneak off and do something important?

Doesn't the person have to be dead for her to take their face?
Could she take a white walker's face?!?!?!?

« Reply #1408 on: April 24, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
After last episode I'd guess if Nights King isn't at Winterfell he would go after the Citadel not Kings landing.

« Reply #1409 on: April 24, 2019, 02:23:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
After last episode I'd guess if Nights King isn't at Winterfell he would go after the Citadel not Kings landing.
hmm, that would be a sensible, unexpected twist but if his prime target was Bran, wouldn't it make more sense for him to be part of the attack at Winterfell?   if NK did go to the citadel, it would prevent anyone at Winterfell from joining his army after they're killed and also leave the Starks in the crypt instead of joining the fight