Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 596211 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 01:12:37 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The refs underinflated only the Patriots' share of footballs by two whole pounds each but all of the Colts' footballs were just fine?

I don't think so.

Time for Pats fans to stop making excuses. This clearly had no impact on the outcome of the game -- the Pats whooped the Colts and deserved to win. But to go as far as to suggest that they are completely innocent in this clear act of cheating is extremely biased and continues to discredit the Pats any time they are accused of cheating from here on out.

Each team supplies it's own footballs. Patriots can legally supply them at 12.5PSI, which would naturally drop to 11.8PSI the moment they hit the field in 49 degree rain. Per Aaron Rodgers' recent comments, some teams would prefer to inflate to the max. Indy could easily have had theirs at 13.5PSI depending on Luck's preference. Just those basic facts can explain the difference between an 11.5PSI and 13+ PSI ball from each sideline.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 01:13:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The Patriots cheated?

Sorry, it was too easy, lol. ;D  I guess that you could also turn this into a Geico commercial, "Huh.  The Patriots cheated?"  "Yeah, everyone knows that."  "Well, did you know that playing cards with Kenny Rogers gets old pretty fast?" ;) ::) ;D  I hate Geico, lol. ;D

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
As someone with very little emotional attachment to the Pats, or football in general, this is a hilarious thing to be up in arms about, on either side.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 01:56:01 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
From Boston.com

"The NFL found 11 of the 12 footballs the Patriots used in Sunday’s AFC Championship game were under-inflated, according to an NFL letter about the investigation that was shared with the Boston Globe on Tuesday.
Game officials discovered at halftime that game balls were under-inflated according to the Globe. The officials tested each ball twice using different gauges."

My question is... Did the findings that the balls were under pressure come from those measurements taken at half time?  And did the officials re-inflate those balls at half time?  I ask this because naturally the balls would have lost pressure due to the cold weather.  This would happen every cold game, but the difference in this case is that Colts filed a complaint with the league who then ordered the testing during half time.  This is very unusual.  I also question how carefully the balls were measured and how accurately the measurements were recorded.  All of this testing occurred during the 15 minute half time putting serious time constraints on the officials to receive the notification from the league, test the balls, record the measurements, inflate the balls, and then be prepared to start the second half.  It doesn't sound very scientific.

On a related note, here's a tweet from the Panthers kicker Graham Gano
"Since the whole "deflated ball" story is a hot topic right now, here is a situation that we experienced this year. When checking the game balls, the refs check the psi indoors. This is frustrating bc the ball loses some pressure in cold weather. During our home playoff game this year I asked the official if he could check the psi outside again bc the ball felt flat and he said he could not. I guess you can't blame the official for that. Rules are rules. Maybe the league will make some changes this offseason." https://mobile.twitter.com/grahamgano

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 03:47:18 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The NFL has botched this with their leaking of info to the media.

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Boo...hoo... more sore losers. Time to add Seahawks to the list next. They will complain about something else guaranteed!

Nah, man, the Patriots clearly cheated. Point blank, they cheated. Did it have an effect on the game, I seriously doubt it. But cheating is cheating, and the Patriots have a history of cheating.

That is their legacy, cheaters.

But it ain't about sour grapes, or being a sore lower. I am a Giants fan, what reason would I have to be sour about anything the Pats do? That's like being afraid of your wimpy little brother.

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
...and now the Ravens are saying "yeah, we think the balls were deflated against us too".... ::)

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 06:42:16 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The Patriots cheated?

Sorry, it was too easy, lol. ;D  I guess that you could also turn this into a Geico commercial, "Huh.  The Patriots cheated?"  "Yeah, everyone knows that."  "Well, did you know that playing cards with Kenny Rogers gets old pretty fast?" ;) ::) ;D  I hate Geico, lol. ;D

LOL

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Boo...hoo... more sore losers. Time to add Seahawks to the list next. They will complain about something else guaranteed!

Nah, man, the Patriots clearly cheated. Point blank, they cheated. Did it have an effect on the game, I seriously doubt it. But cheating is cheating, and the Patriots have a history of cheating.

That is their legacy, cheaters.

But it ain't about sour grapes, or being a sore lower. I am a Giants fan, what reason would I have to be sour about anything the Pats do? That's like being afraid of your wimpy little brother.
Lol Giants and their fans proof that there are sore winners too.

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:39 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
This thread a great reminder why I really dislike most Pats fans.  Just saying it doesn't matter?  Really?

If my team did this I would be disappointed.

I don't mean to generalize.  My good friend is a Pats fan and when I was just talking with him he was pretty shocked and disappointed. But why wouldn't this matter?  Why would you be okay with it?
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 07:33:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If I understand correctly, the 11 balls were deflated by 2 PSI from the pre-game check to the in-game check.

That seems fairly significant, and it's pretty clear circumstantial proof of tampering.  If the Colts balls were fine, this seems like a pretty obvious attempt to gain an advantage by cheating.

Is this a morally huge deal?  I don't think so; I see it as similar to baseball teams that wet their infields, or let the grass grow long. 

However, when you knowingly mislead the officials by tampering with the balls after the initial check, I think that becomes a big deal.

This isn't going to hurt the Pats in the least going into the Super Bowl, though.  They're ultra-focused, and they thrive on the "us against the world" stuff.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Stupidest.....NFL thing....ever

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
First rule about Deflate Club is you do not talk about Deflate Club. Second rule of Deflate Club is that if it's your first day you gotta deflate a ball.

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 08:22:20 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If the Patriots inflate the balls with hot air, then give the officials the balls to check and after playing in 40 degree weather the balls cool and the PSI goes down, is that cheating?

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
If I understand correctly, the 11 balls were deflated by 2 PSI from the pre-game check to the in-game check.

That seems fairly significant, and it's pretty clear circumstantial proof of tampering.  If the Colts balls were fine, this seems like a pretty obvious attempt to gain an advantage by cheating.

Is this a morally huge deal?  I don't think so; I see it as similar to baseball teams that wet their infields, or let the grass grow long. 

However, when you knowingly mislead the officials by tampering with the balls after the initial check, I think that becomes a big deal.

This isn't going to hurt the Pats in the least going into the Super Bowl, though.  They're ultra-focused, and they thrive on the "us against the world" stuff.
It's a little more like if the team let the grass grow long and the grass is walked on and handled by the umpires hundreds of times during the game with no problem whatsoever. Then the home teams wins by 20 runs and two days later MLB says "OOOOOHHHHH MYYYY GOD! THE GRASS WAS TOO LONG!"
Then other players say "Yeah we do stuff with the grass"

It's kinda more like that.