Author Topic: Dedmon staying in Atlanta, O’Quinn a free agent  (Read 1655 times)

Dedmon staying in Atlanta, O’Quinn a free agent
« on: June 21, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I’ll be happy if we can keep Baynes, but I was hoping that if he left Dedmon might end up in green. Not going to happen. So I guess O’Quinn or Len are our Baynes insurance policies.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hawks-center-dewayne-dedmon-exercises-7-2-million-option-remain-atlanta-010717597.html

Re: Dedmon staying in Atlanta, O’Quinn a free agent
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 08:27:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I’ll be happy if we can keep Baynes, but I was hoping that if he left Dedmon might end up in green. Not going to happen. So I guess O’Quinn or Len are our Baynes insurance policies.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-hawks-center-dewayne-dedmon-exercises-7-2-million-option-remain-atlanta-010717597.html

It’s good news that Dedmon is staying, frankly.  He’s not due to make al that much more than the taxpayer MLE, which means he and his agent saw a not very active market for centers this summer.  A decent free agent should be available at a low cost.  While I definitely was and still am interested (Morris and a future second for Dedmon?), this is actually what I was sort of hoping to see happen.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:10:46 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It’s good news that Dedmon is staying, frankly.  He’s not due to make al that much more than the taxpayer MLE, which means he and his agent saw a not very active market for centers this summer.  A decent free agent should be available at a low cost.  While I definitely was and still am interested (Morris and a future second for Dedmon?), this is actually what I was sort of hoping to see happen.

Agree that that is the bright side, though the down side is that if you already believed the market was  soft (as I did) adding more supply would have been good for buyers. Was wondering if Dedmon might have just wanted out of the culture in Atlanta and wanted to chase a deep run into the playoffs.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Dedmon opted in earlier than he had to instead of the usual last minute which would have come after the draft. Maybe he's being moved to a better destination than ATL (which includes about 27-28 other teams). ATL has been rumored to be interested in Trae Young for a while, but you don't take him at 3.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Dedmon opted in earlier than he had to instead of the usual last minute which would have come after the draft. Maybe he's being moved to a better destination than ATL (which includes about 27-28 other teams). ATL has been rumored to be interested in Trae Young for a while, but you don't take him at 3.

So u think because Dedmon signed on before the draft that means he's agreed to be traded to a team he likes?  Good thought.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Has it been said for sure that Dedmon opted in early, or is that an assumption?  Contracts can be written with earlier option dates, and making him decide by draft night wouldn’t be unreasonable.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:20:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Would like O'Quinn here at the minimum, especially if Baynes leaves.  Always liked his game as a backup and he seems like a good fit for our team identity too. Seriously underrated shotblocker and grit guy with a very solid mid-range game.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Would like O'Quinn here at the minimum, especially if Baynes leaves.  Always liked his game as a backup and he seems like a good fit for our team identity too. Seriously underrated shotblocker and grit guy with a very solid mid-range game.

Same here, but I have to believe he's getting at least above the minimum from teams :(
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Has it been said for sure that Dedmon opted in early, or is that an assumption?  Contracts can be written with earlier option dates, and making him decide by draft night wouldn’t be unreasonable.

I'vs seen more than one citation of his option date having been 6/29.

[Edit] Including this one:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1T2Eg_zvqNqQD_5TpE4Ns6xhElatXdLpYG1roZtRLyvE/edit#gid=2142448055

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Same here, but I have to believe he's getting at least above the minimum from teams :(

Seems like he'd deserve it but the market for vets is supposed to be very tight this year. If he wants to win and raise his stock for one last bigger contract this would be a good stop for a year or two.

But yeah this is mostly just wishful thinking at this point.