Author Topic: Tony Allen  (Read 10310 times)

Tony Allen
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:40 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
losing tony allen was DA's biggest mistake. even worse than the perk trade  :o !! perk has declined greatly but tony still plays well. his defense and slashing ability fits greatly on this team. celtics focus on D and we dont have any slashers !! miss you tony more than that other forsaken allen.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

Re: Tony Allen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The only way to keep TA would have been to overpay him, or promise him the starting SG spot.  He got neither and left, for what was at the time a bench role.

TA eventually became the starter.  Very ironic Ray left under eerily similar circumstances.

In hindsight, we should have promoted TA back then.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:59 AM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
lets trade jeff green for tony allen. hows that for a trade proposal
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 12:34:09 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The only way to keep TA would have been to overpay him, or promise him the starting SG spot.  He got neither and left, for what was at the time a bench role.

TA eventually became the starter.  Very ironic Ray left under eerily similar circumstances.

In hindsight, we should have promoted TA back then.
Of course, it turns out TA wouldn't have been overpaid based on his performance in Memphis.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 12:46:41 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Bipolar C's fans clowned Tony Allen when he was in Green for all his miscues. Now that he is excelling in Memphis, they pretend to have loved TA all along and it was a huge mistake not re-signing Tony. Make up your mind people.

I doubt Danny is losing any sleep Tony Allen situation didn't work out. If anything I think Ainge is quite happy for Tony's recent successes in Memphis. Tony Allen would've never received all accolades sitting on Celtics bench behind two hall of famers. Since moving to Memphis, Tony has become sort of folk hero there. Fans down there adore him, and appreciate him helping to turn around Grizzlies misfortunes. He gets accredited for turning the Grizzlies into a defensive team.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:15 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Could you imagine TA+AB together with KG lurking behind them?

My God, that would be scary.

I don't fault Ainge for TA leaving though. He wanted a bigger role than he ever proved deserved of while here.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't fault Ainge for TA leaving though. He wanted a bigger role than he ever proved deserved of while here.

If I recall correctly, TA was fine with his role here and wanted to return... Ainge didn't make an offer.

So I'm not understanding the overpay him argument at the moment. He could've been had for cheap.

It's about the only player we've let go that I didn't like how Ainge handled in recent years.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6196970

Not going to happen, but it would be nice.

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:29:22 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

If I recall correctly, TA was fine with his role here and wanted to return... Ainge didn't make an offer.

So I'm not understanding the overpay him argument at the moment. He could've been had for cheap.

It's about the only player we've let go that I didn't like how Ainge handled in recent years.

I can't confirm right now, but I think you are wrong. I think either the same offer was on the table from Boston or Ainge said he would match, but TA made up his mind to walk for the chance at a bigger role that he couldn't get with Judas here.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 01:52:19 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367

I can't confirm right now, but I think you are wrong. I think either the same offer was on the table from Boston or Ainge said he would match, but TA made up his mind to walk for the chance at a bigger role that he couldn't get with Judas here.

That's how I have it too.

One of the many ways he screwed us.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

I think you're correct in some regard... thinking more on it, it may have been more of TA wanting more years, and DA was reluctant to give him more than 2 years or something.

One thing is for sure for me, Danny didn't make him the best offer. In fact, the offers and how he went about it seemed like there wasn't that much interest to keep Tony.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 06:40:03 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Another thing people forget is that Tony was still recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, and much like Perk, Danny was in no way going to throw a lot of years and money on a bad kneed.  Unlike Perk, Tony has completely recovered.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »

Offline CelticsFan9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 116
  • Everyone's excited for the new era.

I think you're correct in some regard... thinking more on it, it may have been more of TA wanting more years, and DA was reluctant to give him more than 2 years or something.

One thing is for sure for me, Danny didn't make him the best offer. In fact, the offers and how he went about it seemed like there wasn't that much interest to keep Tony.

You're right.  Tony wanted 3 years, Danny wanted 2 to match up with Ray's and KG's contracts so that he could try for a superstar during the 2012 offseason.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 08:06:18 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Tony and Rondo were an offense nightmare on the floor together. That was the biggest problem IIRC. In BOS he was always going to be on the outside of the rotation because Rondo plays a lot, and Rondo + TA is terrible shooting back court.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:25 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
It wasn't Danny's mistake. Ainge offered him a good deal and he chose Memphis for the playing time and the increased role. Ainge didn't let him walk.