Author Topic: MLB fan ejected for using profanity  (Read 4598 times)

Re: MLB fan ejected for using profanity
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 09:22:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I have no problem with stadiums enforcing the code of conduct on people using profanity, extremely offensive or racial comments. I have no problem with players pointing out people who are doing such things.

I think most American sports watching crowds should attempt to be as family friendly as possible. If you want to grow the game, have as many kids get to go to and enjoy the game. An environment of constant cursing, swearing, and use of offensive language, is no place for children and it's not an environment that any team wants for their team in their home.

Again this depends where you are and what you are saying. There are parts of stadiums that are essentially bars. They have three rows of seats outside a full bar for people to watch the game. There are also certain parts of stadiums that are known to be especially rowdy. For instance at Oakland a’s they have a guy beating a drum all game and people screaming non stop in one section. I am imagining the guy that got kicked out was being overly offensive and probably deserved it. However saying the whole stadium should be super kid friendly and nobody should cuss is the opposite end of the spectrum. I guarantee if all these stadiums enforced a strict no swearing under any condition policy they would lose a ton Of business.

Edit: I will add that as someone that generally acts pretty respectful and calm at sporting events home or away. I’m just trying to be realistic
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:34:57 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 09:46:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have no problem with stadiums enforcing the code of conduct on people using profanity, extremely offensive or racial comments. I have no problem with players pointing out people who are doing such things.

I think most American sports watching crowds should attempt to be as family friendly as possible. If you want to grow the game, have as many kids get to go to and enjoy the game. An environment of constant cursing, swearing, and use of offensive language, is no place for children and it's not an environment that any team wants for their team in their home.

Again this depends where you are and what you are saying. There are parts of stadiums that are essentially bars. They have three rows of seats outside a full bar for people to watch the game. There are also certain parts of stadiums that are known to be especially rowdy. For instance at Oakland a’s they have a guy beating a drum all game and people screaming non stop in one section. I am imagining the guy that got kicked out was being overly offensive and probably deserved it. However saying the whole stadium should be super kid friendly and nobody should cuss is the opposite end of the spectrum. I guarantee if all these stadiums enforced a strict no swearing under any condition policy they would lose a ton Of business l.
It sure seems like you are taking what I said to some extreme just to prove some point. I never said cussing should be entirely banned. I never said that the whole stadium should be some super kid friendly place.

But, generally trying to make the areas where people are in large numbers watching a game more family friendly should be something all teams strive for.

And I am not talking about forcing out people who react like "Ahhhh (enter curse word)!!! I wish that didn't happen." I am talking about people dropping off bombs in every sentence they speak or people attacking players verbally with tasteless names, profanity, threats, and racial slurs. Cleaning that up will make things more family friendly.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 10:27:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

Again this depends where you are and what you are saying. There are parts of stadiums that are essentially bars. They have three rows of seats outside a full bar for people to watch the game. There are also certain parts of stadiums that are known to be especially rowdy. For instance at Oakland a’s they have a guy beating a drum all game and people screaming non stop in one section. I am imagining the guy that got kicked out was being overly offensive and probably deserved it. However saying the whole stadium should be super kid friendly and nobody should cuss is the opposite end of the spectrum. I guarantee if all these stadiums enforced a strict no swearing under any condition policy they would lose a ton Of business l.
It sure seems like you are taking what I said to some extreme just to prove some point. I never said cussing should be entirely banned. I never said that the whole stadium should be some super kid friendly place.

But, generally trying to make the areas where people are in large numbers watching a game more family friendly should be something all teams strive for.

And I am not talking about forcing out people who react like "Ahhhh (enter curse word)!!! I wish that didn't happen." I am talking about people dropping off bombs in every sentence they speak or people attacking players verbally with tasteless names, profanity, threats, and racial slurs. Cleaning that up will make things more family friendly.

Nick I honestly was probably misunderstanding what you were saying. It sounds like you are on the same page. I have had some experiences in my life the last few years where I was in a bar that served food and was watching a game and said something along the lines of what you were saying and received a real glare from a parent that brought their kid in. I said sorry to keep the peace but in my head thought it was insane the kid was even in the bar just cause they happened to serve hamburgers

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Nick I honestly was probably misunderstanding what you were saying. It sounds like you are on the same page. I have had some experiences in my life the last few years where I was in a bar that served food and was watching a game and said something along the lines of what you were saying and received a real glare from a parent that brought their kid in. I said sorry to keep the peace but in my head thought it was insane the kid was even in the bar just cause they happened to serve hamburgers
That's cool, cc. TP.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
If I can't hurl profanities at human beings I paid to watch, am I really involved in the spectacle? 🤔

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 11:50:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
You should be able to say whatever you want.

Players have become snowflakes.
And the world is becoming so far left that everyone might as well just stay at home and watch games on the tv....where you can say whatever you want and a beer is less than a buck.

Sure.  Say whatever you want and face the ramifications of it if you do.   

Its as much about keeping a family friendly environment these days as it is player/coach/ref protection.

Not so sure the main idea behind these fan ejections is that the franchise wants a family atmosphere. Otherwise they would fine players for grabbing their crotches in celebration, spewing profanity at each other and the officials or selfishly pointing at themselves for making a layup.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 11:55:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

And the world is becoming so far left that everyone might as well just stay at home and watch games on the tv....where you can say whatever you want and a beer is less than a buck.

Its as much about keeping a family friendly environment these days as it is player/coach/ref protection.

Not so sure the main idea behind these fan ejections is that the franchise wants a family atmosphere. Otherwise they would fine players for grabbing their crotches in celebration, spewing profanity at each other and the officials or selfishly pointing at themselves for making a layup.

I think it makes sense to prevent normal sized people from verbally abusing superior athletes. The Pacers-Pistons brawl was ugly. Most fans don't really stand a chance against these guys in the state of nature.

I have been bleepfaced at many games and I've been sober. The one thing I do remember is how obnoxious/unfunny some people can be when they've had too many.

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Then what do you think the main idea is?

What do you think drives economics better? Allowing fans to do/say whatever the heck they want at a sporting event or having an atmosphere where fans feel comfortable bringing their family to an event?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team