Author Topic: Robert Williams and 1980s Basketball PF or C  (Read 1597 times)

Robert Williams and 1980s Basketball PF or C
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:13:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 For those who remember the Best Decade in Basketball history.

If Timelord were playing with the 1986 In general for any team in the 1980s era of basketball, what position would Robert Williams primarily play during that time.

We know he can play both. Which position primarily. TPs for insightful comments.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 08:50:07 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Robert Williams and 1980s Basketball PF or C
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:25:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
On the 1986 team? Williams would have played towel waver.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 08:16:45 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
On the 1986 team? Williams would have played towel waver.
Ya, but ONLY because ML Carr and Cedric Maxwell were gone by then.  Otherwise, he would've been third string towel-waver at best.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Forget the Celtics.

In the NBA in the 1980s what position would he play primarily.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 10:06:58 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Center. PFs had better post moves. Centers did too, but it would be easier to stash him at C.

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 12:48:03 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I know I could look this up but who was the backup 4 on the 80s Celtics?

Anyway I'm of two minds on it. On offense a guy who can roll hard to the rim and shoot the occasional awkward free throw line jumper would fit well with the PFs of that era. But on defense his athleticism would probably have teams wanting him to try and check guys like Hakeem (yeah we all know how that would go, but they would definitely try it). Maybe roll him out in a 2 big set with a plodding bigger center like Mark Eaton and have him check the most agile big on the other side.

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 01:15:50 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seems like a thread where KGLL already knows the answer. I think it would pretty obviously be PF as the centers of that time were much more ‘deliberate’ and not exactly known for their agility. He wouldn’t be a star, but should be more serviceable than someone like Greg Kite, right? In terms of pure size, Williams is no bigger than McHale.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 01:55:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
Seems like a thread where KGLL already knows the answer. I think it would pretty obviously be PF as the centers of that time were much more ‘deliberate’ and not exactly known for their agility. He wouldn’t be a star, but should be more serviceable than someone like Greg Kite, right? In terms of pure size, Williams is no bigger than McHale.

TP Jambr.

He's longer than McHale for sure. Kevin had a 7'2 wingspan Bobo 7'5"

Robert Williams has an elite 9 foot for standing reach I'm not sure if somebody can dig up McHale's I'd be surprised if Kevin's was over 9 ft.

He's a natural PF that could also play center because of his length and athleticism but he's still a little bit light for a real Center of the era.

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 07:14:20 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

TP Jambr.

He's longer than McHale for sure. Kevin had a 7'2 wingspan Bobo 7'5"

Robert Williams has an elite 9 foot for standing reach I'm not sure if somebody can dig up McHale's I'd be surprised if Kevin's was over 9 ft.

He's a natural PF that could also play center because of his length and athleticism but he's still a little bit light for a real Center of the era.

I’m not sure if it have ever been debunked but Michael was rumored to have an 8’ wingspan
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet