Author Topic: 2023 Team USA  (Read 1911 times)

2023 Team USA
« on: August 20, 2023, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
So Team USA is starting

G: Jalen Brunson
G: Anthony Edwards
F: Mikal Bridges
F: Brandon Ingram
C: Jaren Jackson Jr

That is two skinny forwards next to a C who doesn't rebound well. Not much physicality in that frontcourt. I do not like that mix.

I also do not like Brunson starting. Play a player who'll share the ball and get everyone involved.

Why do they only have one big guy? And if you are going to only play one big guy, at least give him some big forwards to help him on defense & rebounding wise?

It does feel a little "his turn, my turn" type of lineup. Mikal Bridges is the only perimeter guy I trust to play smart team basketball.

Then you have JJJ who will be a perimeter five but who is the interior then? Five guys all getting in each other's way trying to spot up for 3s. Play someone who will roll to the basket or play off of the elbows and facilitate the offense from there. JJJ not much of a passer. He is a finisher. Neither is Kessler or Portis. No big who can facilitate inside the three point line. Banchero but he plays more like a SF off the dribble playmaker.

Re: 2023 Team USA
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 01:58:40 AM »

Offline mig3zwo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I also think its an odd team. Still... they are better individually than all the other teams. If nothing works, hero ball will do it. :D

I hope they play Germany again in the tournament... It was a fun game.
Und ich hoffe, dass sie dann verlieren... :)
a limbo dancer walks into a bar

Re: 2023 Team USA
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 03:03:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
It’s Team USA head coach Steve Kerr who has spoken highly about Reaves’ performance so far in training camp. According to Kerr, Reaves has been a seamless fit for the team so far as the 25-year-old’s skillset has been perfect for the team.

“He fits in wherever we put him; that’s the beauty of Austin. He’s a connector. He’s a hell of a basketball player. He’s physical, shoots, and passes it. Just so poised out there all the time. He’s a guy who enhances any lineup that he plays with,” Kerr said.

I agree with Kerr. A Reaves just makes everything work better when he is out there. So well rounded. Smart. Skilled.

I love the statement "he is a connector". Really gets to the root of it. Similar to Horford. Reaves brings guys together and makes them work more as a group rather than as individuals. Horford with his high post passing, shooting and team defense. Reaves with his handles, driving, passing & shooting.

Reaves, who tallied 9 points, 4 assists, and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes during the contest, stood out as one of the best players in the game — so much that according to ESPN’s Tim Bontemps, Kerr might just consider promoting Reaves to the starting lineup.

“Just feel, vision, awareness, and understanding of the game,” Kerr added about Reaves. “The ball just goes to the right spot, the right cut is made. Austin made a play yesterday where he made a drive and kick; he was kind of behind the defense, and he worked completely behind the defense, flashed kind of in the middle of the paint, caught it, and swung it through. He had feel; you have to have awareness to make a play like that. So connectors are guys who make those types of plays, and the game just makes sense, and you end up getting open shots.”