Author Topic: Why can't Romeo Langford get on the court?  (Read 4677 times)

Re: Why can't Romeo Langford get on the court?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:50 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  i sometimes think brad is trying to reinvent the game of basketball and overthinks the most obvious.his lineups thru out the game is baffeling

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 11:43:35 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Sometimes I think Ainge is trying to reinvent the Draft and misses the most obvious picks...

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Sometimes I think Ainge is trying to reinvent the Draft and misses the most obvious picks...

You mean like trading up to pick Olynyk over Giannis...

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 12:18:50 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

no, i think he means when danny made the inexplicable and bone head move of ignoring the consensus, clearly expected #1 pick in the draft and did not take fultz. the man is impossible.

::)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 12:23:27 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

no, i think he means when danny made the inexplicable and bone head move of ignoring the consensus, clearly expected #1 pick in the draft and did not take fultz. the man is impossible.

I actually thought Tatum deserved consideration for the #1 spot. Danny did a good job to snatch him at 3 with a #1 from Philly to boot. As I posted yesterday, its in the late first round that Danny has come up short...PUN INTENDED.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 01:02:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I actually thought Tatum deserved consideration for the #1 spot. Danny did a good job to snatch him at 3 with a #1 from Philly to boot. As I posted yesterday, its in the late first round that Danny has come up short...PUN INTENDED.
But when discussing Ainge's drafting you have to look at all his drafting. He has hit on Smart(I would take Smart ahead of every player chosen all the way down to the Celtics next pick at 17), he hit on Rozier(take a look, there was no one good taken after Rozier), he hit on Jaylen, he bilked Philly of a lottery pick to take a hit at #3 with Jayson and avoid a bust in Fultz. Robert Williams and this entire draft is still too early to call.

So recent history has a lot of hits. But also, a bunch of misses where all GMs miss, later in the first round. And in a lot of those drafts, there were very few actual NBA players found  late in those drafts, so Ainge wasn't striking out while lots of other GMs were scoring. Almost all the GMs were striking out.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:24:07 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:49 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Picking Giannis was obvious??? That is funny

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 02:54:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Yeah, that’s why he went top 5! Oh wait...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 03:23:54 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26

I know right, people who don't actually follow the NBA closely just say 'Ainge should be fired for not drafting Giannis' blah blah blah

Bucks reached for Thon Maker and for Giannis, one didn't work and one did massively.

Giannis was playing in Second division Greece and was a string bean 6'8 with very little skill and refused to come to America for any workouts. After being drafted he's grown almost 4 inches and put on 30-40 pounds of muscle and his skills have grown at an unseen rate, just look at his brothers all the same physical profile all have had more advantages in terms of training over in the States yet none are even good enough for regular minutes let alone stars.

Can we please stop talking about not drafting Giannis

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I know right, people who don't actually follow the NBA closely just say 'Ainge should be fired for not drafting Giannis' blah blah blah

Bucks reached for Thon Maker and for Giannis, one didn't work and one did massively.

Giannis was playing in Second division Greece and was a string bean 6'8 with very little skill and refused to come to America for any workouts. After being drafted he's grown almost 4 inches and put on 30-40 pounds of muscle and his skills have grown at an unseen rate, just look at his brothers all the same physical profile all have had more advantages in terms of training over in the States yet none are even good enough for regular minutes let alone stars.

To be fair I think Bucks doctors found that his growth plates were that of a sixteen year old in 2013 (can I have a growth spurt like he did from age 18-22 LOL), which played a factor into the Bucks drafting him. But yeah he was a really raw kid who the Bucks took a huge risk on, I don't think we can point fingers at Ainge for picking a good role player in Olynyk over him.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:55:48 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 04:17:27 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

To be fair I think Bucks doctors found that his growth plates were that of a sixteen year old in 2013 (can I have a growth spurt like he did from age 18-22 LOL), which played a factor into the Bucks drafting him.

I didnt know that.... very interesting !!!

I was in Greece at that time so watched Giannis play for his club (i followed that league ) and the national teams long before he got into the draft radar.

Greek teams didn't think much of him ,
European teams didn't think much of him (only one spanish team had offered him a contract).
He wasn't that impressive playing against Sunday league competition. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBc7mFWz04) ,
he wasn't that impressive playing with junior national team.

Drafting him tha high was as dumb as drafting Papagiannis at 13 (who actually had shown more than Giannis at the same age) or Bender at 4

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2020, 04:20:51 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Stevens playing favourites again.

Just like last year when he refused to play Wannamaker even though Rozier was stinking up the joint.

Stevens gets like this. One of his bad qualities.

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2020, 04:38:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Stevens playing favourites again.

Just like last year when he refused to play Wannamaker even though Rozier was stinking up the joint.

Stevens gets like this. One of his bad qualities.
This is one of my bigger criticisms of Stevens. He really loves his guys. Theis getting so many minutes when Kanter is the better match-up is one of many examples.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 04:38:59 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I expect that Langford has not shown enough consistently in practice and otherwise demonstrating competency off the court.  Also nagging injury issues have prevented him from being available very often.

Langford was drafted as a raw project with a broken jumper.  Nobody should be surprised that he isn't playing.

Bigger surprise / disappointment to me is that Carsen Edwards, who was supposed to be more of a finished product, has not been able to earn playing time for a team that could really use shooting.  But I suppose it is a big transition for a high minutes volume shooter to become a guy who can come in and hit shots in very limited minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 08:23:52 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
We are short handed and need scoring and length at the guard spot but Langford can't even get on the court, what's up? Did I miss something? Is someone out playing him that I'm not seeing? I'm mystified...

Because CBS rather double shift Tatum, Hayward, Smart

it is quite puzzling to be honest

CBS is coaching like a desperate cat these days.  The one thing I have noticed about him is that he hates change

His system, who he plays

Celts have been terrible in the first quarter for 10 games now.  Instead of coming up with a new gameplan

He just encourages his starters to keep chucking 3s

Tatum and Walker for example are slow starters

So have them chuck away and  team down 10-15 after the 1st quarter, has been the theme

No drive to the basket and kick it out.  No cut to the basket.  Basically no game plan (at the start of games)

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird