Author Topic: Raptors (0-2) at Celtics (2-0) Round 2 Game 3 9/3/20  (Read 43942 times)

Re: Raptors (0-2) at Celtics (2-0) Round 2 Game 3 9/3/20
« Reply #885 on: September 04, 2020, 11:47:15 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I would have put Robert Williams in with 0.5 secs left.  He is our best shot blocker and intimidator; Toronto "feels" his presence.  No risk of a pump fake foul at 0.5 sec.

Do I think it would have made any difference here? Probably not. But the Tacko think was kind of ridiculous IMO. The refs were having him stand back, which defeated the purpose of imposing his length. Plus we have seen Williams on more than one occasion deflect an inbound pass.  If he rather than Brown were the one recovering toward OG, he probably would have blocked it. 

Keith Smith points out that the real culprit was probably Theis, who went beyond his zone coverage, which forced Brown to stick with Gasol.  Had that been Time Lord, all the "fans" who claim he doesn't play good system defense (as if they even understand Celtic defensive system well enough to criticize (they don't)) would have been jumping down Rob's throat.

Brad needs to wake up and play RW3 more minutes, including game ending moments.

« Reply #886 on: September 04, 2020, 12:17:51 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Let’s not kid ourselves - Celtics have not played their best ball yet in this series. They’ve been downright sloppy at times. Hopefully this shakes them up a bit and forces them to execute properly, take care of the ball, and communicate. We’re 2-1 and our best is yet to come. Tough loss but we weren’t gonna go 16-0 en route to a title.

We cannot keep waiting to get better the series has estblished a pattern ...part of the reason Cs are playing llike they are is credit to Toronto. They will have to grit out every game left in this series.

« Reply #887 on: September 04, 2020, 12:50:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Sorry if this has already been discussed but did Lowery's whining about the flagrant cost the Celtics the game?  I don't remember if they were in the penalty, if the free throws were made or if they scored on the ensuing play.

I felt like the push by Siakam on Williams was a makeup call for the Theis' "flagrant". I don't think Smart and the rest of the Celtics bench would have been so demonstrative and asking for a review, if it wasn't for the crying Lowry pulled earlier.

BTW, the antics by Lowry on the layup by Wanamaker, was ridiculous. The guy couldn't move while the refs were reviewing the call, but as soon as they said there was no flagrant, did you notice how Lowry was suddenly fine and able to play?

Yup, saw that!! something needs to be done about his whinning it influences the game.

« Reply #888 on: September 04, 2020, 12:58:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Looks like the final play was a hodgepodge of miscommunication between everyone but Tacko. Did Stevens get way too cute putting in Tacko and going to that modified zone, which isn't a defense the Celtics play very often? Should he just have stuck with his starters playing man and not defended the inbounds? I sure think so.

What's sad is I see a lot of bloggers putting this exclusively on Jaylen Brown and it's pretty clear from watching the replay that the whole dysfunction started with poor communication between Smart and Tatum that allowed Anunoby to go completely unchecked along the baseline to the opposite side and then more miscommunication between Jaylen and Theis on who had Gasol leading to Brown being out of position on Anunoby. Though, IMO, Anunoby should have been covered by Tatum who shouldn't have passed him off to double Lowry with Smart. To me it was a team wide breakdown in communication which was precipitated by playing a bad initial zone defense that the players just don't play very often.

As I said earlier in the thread, I got to put the blame on Stevens here. That defense did not put his players in the best position to win that game.

This. 

Group issue not one individual...and the group includes Brad.

It's ok to fail once in a while if the other team has to execute something so amazing that it's almost never seen...

Disheartening to see Brown get flak when he was the best player in the game for either team imo.  I mean slam the guys for effort issues but not for an occasional error...especially an error that was more of a group breakdown.

« Reply #889 on: September 04, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
With only 0.5 seconds remaining, is there really any need to guard the player inbounding the ball? Shouldn't the philosophy be to face guard the four guys on the court, and have a defender roaming, who follows where the inbounder is passing the ball?

Brown almost blocked the shot this was just really great play by the Raptors...

I said it before the series and I'll say it again whoever wins this series will go to the NBA finals.

Yeah, give some credit to the Raptors. Nurse called a nice play that confused the Celtics defense and gave the Raptors at least two good options, Gasol cutting to the hoop or OG in the corner. Lowry made the right read and threw a very difficult pass right on target, and OG hit a tough shot that he got off quickly. Sure, the Celtics messed up on the coverage, but the Raptors still had to do everything right on a tough play to pull it off.

« Reply #890 on: September 04, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sorry if this has already been discussed but did Lowery's whining about the flagrant cost the Celtics the game?  I don't remember if they were in the penalty, if the free throws were made or if they scored on the ensuing play.

I felt like the push by Siakam on Williams was a makeup call for the Theis' "flagrant". I don't think Smart and the rest of the Celtics bench would have been so demonstrative and asking for a review, if it wasn't for the crying Lowry pulled earlier.

BTW, the antics by Lowry on the layup by Wanamaker, was ridiculous. The guy couldn't move while the refs were reviewing the call, but as soon as they said there was no flagrant, did you notice how Lowry was suddenly fine and able to play?
Lowry is pathetic. I hope we make him cry in the next two games
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #891 on: September 04, 2020, 06:59:37 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Struggle, difficulty, missed opportunity makes you better.

How many winning seasons did Kemba have? How many times was he on the losing end of that play? He's still here.

Walker-Tatum-Brown best "big three" left in this bubble. You have some "big twos" but not what we got.

« Reply #892 on: September 04, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
With only 0.5 seconds remaining, is there really any need to guard the player inbounding the ball? Shouldn't the philosophy be to face guard the four guys on the court, and have a defender roaming, who follows where the inbounder is passing the ball?

Typically I can understand having a guy on the inbounder, but without the threat of him getting the ball back on a hand-off/pick, there is almost no reason for it (obviously not possible with .5 seconds left).

I get it, Monday morning QB blah blah blah, but I would have much rather played 5 on 4 than let Lowry step back 5 feet into the imaginary crowd and have an open passing lane anywhere he wanted. The whole thing is pretty pathetic and I am praying to the basketball gods to make it up to us next game.

« Reply #893 on: September 04, 2020, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline President Red

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 40
I listened to Brian Scalabrine's podcast last night, and he brought up something that I hadn't heard mentioned about the inbounds pass.  According to Scal, the sideline area in which Lowry was operating was a lot more spacious than in a normal arena.  That let Lowry back up enough to get a better view over Tacko than he normally would get in that situation.

It still was an impressive and difficult pass by Lowry, but it's not necessarily an indictment of the concept of having an extra large defender on the inbounder in a similar situation in a normal setting.

« Reply #894 on: September 04, 2020, 09:39:53 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I just hope there is no hangover from this game.  I hope the c's come out and take it to them!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #895 on: September 05, 2020, 01:31:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Lowry and Van Vleet were excellent last game, and props to OG.  But I got the Celtics in the Finals.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #896 on: September 05, 2020, 02:12:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lowry and Van Vleet were excellent last game, and props to OG.  But I got the Celtics in the Finals.
Good to see you back & posting some takes I can wholeheartedly agree with ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #897 on: September 08, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Good to see you back & posting some takes I can wholeheartedly agree with ;)

Likewise, good to be back.  I expected these playoffs to disappoint, but the Celts have been fun to watch.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC