Author Topic: Celtics (47-23) at Grizzlies (33-38) Seeding Game #7 8/11/20  (Read 18102 times)

Re: Celtics (47-23) at Grizzlies (33-38) Seeding Game #7 8/11/20
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I see a competitive first half .  Maybe Stevens is going to rest starters in the fourth regardless of the score.

This has no bearing at all even from the standpoint of the Grizzlies, they are locked in to play in the Play-in games which could be against the Blazers or the Suns.

If they wan to be in the playoffs, it would be greatly to their advantage to keep that 8th seed.  Only have to win once to get in.
Yup

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celtics should try to win tonight ....  a chance to drop to 14th in the draft can make a difference

Also for the Western conference 8th seed race
-If Grizzlies and Blazers lose both and Suns win both - Sun make 8th and face 9th place team (play in tourney)

-If all tie in wins.  Sun are eliminated since Grizz/Blazers hold tiebreakers

So either Grizz/Blazers must lose two and Suns win two to make it in the play in tourney

-If Spurs also tie with Grizz/Blazers... they would advance over Grizz since they hold the regular season adv. But Blazers hold the adv over Spurs in regular season play

Unfortunately for Suns/Spurs... The Grizzlies even if they lose tonight face a depleted Bucks for their final game. No Giannis and likely no Middleton, Lopez etc.  since they have nothing to play for.  Blazers also have a easier finish since Mavs/Nets both locked up 7th and likely will rest their starters

Likely it will be Grizzlies vs Blazers for the play in tourney. Where 9th seed (hopefully Grizzlies - Celts can help it happen with a win tonight) has to win 2 games to advance and 8th seed only need one win
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 11:33:28 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 11:57:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Celtics should try to win tonight ....  a chance to drop to 14th in the draft can make a difference

-If Grizzlies and Blazers lose both and Suns win both - Sun make 8th and face 9th place team (play in tourney)

So either Grizz/Blazers must lose two and Suns win two to make it in the play in tourney

-If Spurs also tie with Grizz/Blazers... they would advance over Grizz since they hold the regular season adv. But Blazers hold the adv over Spurs in regular season play

Unfortunately for Suns/Spurs... The Grizzlies even if they lose tonight face a depleted Bucks for their final game. No Giannis and likely no Middleton, Lopez etc.  since they have nothing to play for.  Blazers also have a easier finish since Mavs/Nets both locked up 7th and likely will rest their starters

Likely it will be Grizzlies vs Blazers for the play in tourney. Where 9th seed (hopefully Grizzlies - Celts can help it happen with a win tonight) has to win 2 games to advance and 8th seed only need one win

The suns actually dont need POR to lose both. because the team's have played different numbers of games the suns are only .5 games back of POR. They just need to win 1 more game than POR to pass them. They would need MEM to lose both to have a chance of passing them. 

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 11:59:19 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The suns actually dont need POR to lose both. because the team's have played different numbers of games the suns are only .5 games back of POR. They just need to win 1 more game than POR to pass them. They would need MEM to lose both to have a chance of passing them.

thx for the clarification

But again unlikely scenario since Blazers are desperate and likely face 2 easier final games

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 12:10:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

thx for the clarification

But again unlikely scenario since Blazers are desperate and likely face 2 easier final games

Maybe. No embbid or Simmons for the 76ers tonight against PHO. Then they play a locked in DAL team on the last night of the season when my guess is DAL will be resting guys. Meanwhile POR should win Thurdsay against the Nets, but play DAL tonight when they will probably be playing their guys. So POR seems more likely, certainly if they win tonight they are in the driver's seat.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 12:13:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We are obviously motivated to win this game today. Brad will have to balance that motivation (draft positioning) with resting starters for playoffs.

My big concern, which Triboy pointed out, is that the Bucks have zero incentive to win last game, and in fact could have motivation to help Griz win out, since Griz coach is a Bulholzer disciple.  Plus anything to hurt our draft stock, I'm that paranoid!!

We have to play better than last game, though, to beat Griz, as they are extremely motivated to win and get the 8th seed.  We beat them pretty soundly before.  Key is to pressure Morant, let him shoot 3's, and keep that maniac Brandon Clarke off the boards.  Love his energy.  Man we could really use him coming off our bench.  I had no idea he would turn out to be this good of a pro.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 12:24:14 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
We are obviously motivated to win this game today. Brad will have to balance that motivation (draft positioning) with resting starters for playoffs.

My big concern, which Triboy pointed out, is that the Bucks have zero incentive to win last game, and in fact could have motivation to help Griz win out, since Griz coach is a Bulholzer disciple.  Plus anything to hurt our draft stock, I'm that paranoid!!

We have to play better than last game, though, to beat Griz, as they are extremely motivated to win and get the 8th seed.  We beat them pretty soundly before.  Key is to pressure Morant, let him shoot 3's, and keep that maniac Brandon Clarke off the boards.  Love his energy.  Man we could really use him coming off our bench.  I had no idea he would turn out to be this good of a pro.

I always wonder if players are that motivated about draft picks.  From their perspective they are guys who haven't played a minute at their level.

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 12:31:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yeah.  Even if Grizz lose tonight (hopefully)

I can't see them losing to a stripped bucks team for their final game

Which means they will make it....  but Celts can help make it much tougher for them (to make the real playoffs), by winning today

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I want the Celtics to treat this like a playoff game. The Grizzlies are a desperate team right now that are clinging to the final playoff spot. I see them as a wounded team, like the 76ers, that if you take them lightly, they can beat the Celtics. I just want the Celtics to concentrate on playing their best basketball, regardless of their opponent. I also want to see how players like Langford, Williams, and the Time Lord perform in a “playoff atmosphere”. Langford and the Time Lord have definitely stepped up their games in the bubble and I’m enjoying seeing their continued improvement.

TP for another great game thread FLCeltsFan. I don't know how you do it, but I truly appreciate the hard work. You consistently deliver a great product. Stay safe and enjoy the games.

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Which means they will make it....  but Celts can help make it much tougher for them (to make the real playoffs), by winning today

Oh i could, very easily. This MEM  team is down like 3 starters and the Bucks are a deep team, even their reserves would stand a solid chance of beating MEM. Probably give the edge to MEM, but its not like a lock. 

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Oh i could, very easily. This MEM  team is down like 3 starters and the Bucks are a deep team, even their reserves would stand a solid chance of beating MEM. Probably give the edge to MEM, but its not like a lock.

Other than Jaren Jackson Jr. who else important is out for Memphis?

Bucks (without Giannis) didn't look good against the Raptors ... who didn't have Lowry, Van Vleet and Ibaka

Without Giannis and Middleton .... Bucks don't have depth to win anything imo.  Just like Rockets without Harden/West

Its not like they are the Heat.   Grizz won't lose vs a stripped Bucks , you can bank it

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

Other than Jaren Jackson Jr. who else important is out for Memphis?

Bucks (without Giannis) didn't look good against the Raptors ... who didn't have Lowry, Van Vleet and Ibaka

Without Giannis and Middleton .... Bucks don't have depth to win anything imo.  Just like Rockets without Harden/West

Its not like they are the Heat.   Grizz won't lose vs a stripped Bucks , you can bank it

They are young, they play without coherence, for me they are the second worst team of the buble after the Wizzards. Bucks sub may want to show up, Bledsoe can carry about Ja, who play a very selfish game... And surprise always arrive on sport, no ?

Whatever I expect them to loose the 2 play in against Blazers or Suns. But again who knows ?

Go C's, take this one to have the better record of any playoff team in the bubble and for confidence !

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 03:51:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Wait, if Spurs win out (they are leading Rockets right now) and Blazers win out, Griz still get the play in game(s) if they lose tonight and win v Bucks?? Is that because they win tie breaker v Spurs? I thought Spurs win tie breaker??

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
My guess is Stevens will start the starters through the third quarter.

They have looked good of late and getting into game shape for playoffs with

Pesky Pacers or
Phunky Philly or?

That is way too many "P's" for me.

Go Celtics....these Bears must die regardless of environmental consequences.

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If your team is starting Anthony Tolliver, you know your team is hurting.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum