Author Topic: Joe Buck Doesn't Like Baseball  (Read 3959 times)

Joe Buck Doesn't Like Baseball
« on: July 03, 2008, 11:24:58 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
But he IS a huge fan of The Bachelorette!

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html

Joe Buck (along with Tim McCarver) is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  What a complete sham of a human being.  God forbid someone who actually enjoys baseball is allowed to broadcast baseball games.

edited for a better link.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

Re: Joe Buck Doesn't Like Baseball
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I've despised Buck and McCarver ever since the '03 ALCS where they seemed to be openly rooting for NY. Then Boone rips my heart out, and the next thing I see McCarver up in the booth rubbing his brother's head( Brett Boone and his stupid frosted tips). What a magical moment! So magical, I wanted to drive to New York and murder everyone there.

Not to go too far OT, but that moment when A. Boone was rounding the bases, Brett Boone was crying tears of joy up in the booth with those 2 jerks high fiving each other( alright, I embellished it somewhat), and poor Wake was walking off the third base line was the lowest point of my life as a sports fan. I really felt as though I'd been rooting for the Washington Generals my whole life.

And I don't like Joe Buck either.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 01:30:42 PM by Nerf MVP »

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:05:23 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I banished Joe Buck for his gross exaggeration of Randy Moss' "mooning" incident.  I still think he was the catalyst for the ridiculous media storm it caused.

And he just seems like one of those smug, arrogant broadcasters that actually thinks he is a real celebrity, and that athletes should somehow be honored to be in his presence.... kinda like Jim Grey.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
I banished Joe Buck for his gross exaggeration of Randy Moss' "mooning" incident.  I still think he was the catalyst for the ridiculous media storm it caused.

And he just seems like one of those smug, arrogant broadcasters that actually thinks he is a real celebrity, and that athletes should somehow be honored to be in his presence.... kinda like Jim Grey.

Agreed, he called it a disgusting display, apparently never doing his research on the history of the gesture.  If he had, he would have known that Packers fans moon the Vikings' bus every time they leave Lambeau, for real, not just simulated, and Moss was just poking the fun right back at them.  To hear Buck describe it, Moss actually pulled down his pants and had no real reason for doing so other than just being "disgusting".  I also find it humorous how he always second guesses Francona's decisions on who to bring in and when, as if Buck has 1/2 the info about the Sox staff that Tito does, yet he acts like it is perfectly reasonable for him to be considered on the same plane as a true Major League manager.  Without that last name, which he readily admits, we would never have heard of this guy let alone have to suffer through his BS.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:19:32 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
I feel like I don't have the attention span for baseball either.

As pathetic as it sounds the one thing that is keeping me interested this year is fantasy baseball.

So my theory is get this man a fantasy team.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 01:36:30 PM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Not to defend Joe Buck, but if any of you get a chance to see the show Bob Costas does on HBO, he was on the one that addressed the different mediums and sports and he was excellent.
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »

Offline u_r_toy_maine

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Do not use profanity. -R.H.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 04:06:02 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Nice.  A "Rip Joe Buck" thread!!

I have never been able to stand the guy going back to when he first started with FOX.  He was in his mid 20s and got the national play by play gig?  C'mon.  Many more deserving out there.  He'll never be his father.

Comes off very smarmy and likes to stir things up every now and then.  That's fine from a color analyst but a play by play guy?  Really thinks he is the man and is definitely over-exposed by FOX. (Sorta in the Musberger @ CBS in the 80s sense)

Definitely drove me nuts during those Boston/New York ALCS'.  He and McCarver defininitely seemed to deify Torre and the Yankees.

Don't get me started on his NFL #1 gig...  Should never have smelled the top gig there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
It's OK - baseball doesn't like you either, Joe.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 06:17:33 PM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I find this disgusting. It's one thing for your excuse to be spending time with your family but to say that you would rather watch reality TV than baseball is appalling. What does this guy even do all day anyway? It's not like he has a real job or anything. He should be banished from being a broadcaster and he tainted his father's legacy by saying that IMO.